UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Coolant where it shouldn't be

Old 02-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
The Clockie

Coolant where it shouldn't be

Out of curiosity, I took the small two-winged cover off the NS crankcase of the S4R today, hoping to get a view of the flywheel, etc., and was surprised to find a dribble of red juice in the cavity. This appears to be coolant for the engine (the rad has the same red stuff in it) and I'm guessing this means the seals are going on the water pump just above the flywheel cover. The bike hasn't had much use in the recent past, either before I bought it or subsequently due to the lockdown. Obviously I need to watch the engine oil and coolant level, but is a slight weep on the water pump a big problem? Might it self-seal with some mileage?

Cheers,

Nick
Old 02-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Any 'mayonise' in the timing window, oil sight glass or round the oil filler cap?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
Stevedesmo

Bike: S4r
The seal on the pump is a potential failure point and will give the symptom you describe.
In an advanced case, the coolant level will drop and the oil level will rise as the coolant drains to the sump, and the oil will discolour as it emulsifies
If you drop the oil into a clean container you might see individual droplets of coolant
Running the engine isn’t a good idea as the oil will be less effective and could cause bottom end damage
The seal isn’t too hard to replace, but it’s a ceramic faced ring and needs great care to avoid chipping it
Stevedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Is it possible that the red liquid could be oil? If you're using Motul, then that's a cherry red colour

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
The Clockie

The Man's a genius! But you all knew that anyway...

Thanks Luddite for that suggestion: it would appear that the dealer I got the S4R from, who did a general service, used raspberry-colour Motul oil because when I tip the bike I can see blood in the oil sight-glass. I've never seen such gaudy stuff before! Since I've only managed maybe 50 miles on the bike since I got it, I hadn't bothered to check the fluids. Odd that the radiator had red in it too, but maybe Motul make coolant too?

Anyway, big relief, and thanks again. I owe you a beer!

Nick
Old 03-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It's probably Motul 7100 then most likely, the Motul 300V I use is in mine bright green.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
jerry
Old Git

I am trying to get the impellor off my S4 to replace the seal but its not accessable ,, there is NO way of getting the C clip off the impellor drive to remover the impellor to get at the seal ????have tried every tool and method I know also taken it to 2 ducati technicians ,, the clip is on the reverese side of the impellor drive no tool can get at it ???
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Did you read page 186 of workshop manual Jerry? I'm just as confused and I'm not even attempting the job, the diagrams aren't very clear and it just says remove snap ring (1) on the rotor shaft. No mention of any special tools.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
I am trying to get the impellor off my S4 to replace the seal but its not accessable ,, there is NO way of getting the C clip off the impellor drive to remover the impellor to get at the seal ????have tried every tool and method I know also taken it to 2 ducati technicians ,, the clip is on the reverese side of the impellor drive no tool can get at it ???
Are these threads of any help?

https://www.ducati.org/forums/ducati...#/topics/55658

https://www.ducati.ms/threads/2000-s...peller.700905/
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

So it would seem you need to push the impeller back through the case then pry the snap ring off. A job for at least 4 hands then, trying not to damage or scratch the shaft in the process?

Old 04-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
Stevedesmo

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clockie View Post
The Man's a genius! But you all knew that anyway...

Thanks Luddite for that suggestion: it would appear that the dealer I got the S4R from, who did a general service, used raspberry-colour Motul oil because when I tip the bike I can see blood in the oil sight-glass. I've never seen such gaudy stuff before! Since I've only managed maybe 50 miles on the bike since I got it, I hadn't bothered to check the fluids. Odd that the radiator had red in it too, but maybe Motul make coolant too?

Anyway, big relief, and thanks again. I owe you a beer!

Nick
You know those fault finding charts for an engine that won’t start, the ones that begin “is there petrol in the tank?”, and everyone thinks “what kind of person is that aimed at?”
That’s you that is
Stevedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
So it would seem you need to push the impeller back through the case then pry the snap ring off. A job for at least 4 hands then, trying not to damage or scratch the shaft in the process?
Desmo Manual shows how:-

Easy?

Old 09-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #13
jerry
Old Git

Well thanks to Darrens help I finally got the impellor apart ,its fiddly getting the circlip out but once thats out its easy , the bearings are good will get a new ceramic seal ,, the actual rotor of the impellor is covered in Calcification which I want to get rid off ??
tried vinegar but seems limescale cleaner may be better