UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » restriction kit removal 796

Old 29-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
billy 192

restriction kit removal 796

Hi
I have just bought a 2013 monster 796 only to find it has a throttle restrictor fitted ,A2 I am told. its only got 1/3 revolution about 50-55mph

will this only be a bracket or will i have to do any re mapping?

I do hope its not the case.
Billy
Old 29-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
hi Billy

this could have been done in a number of ways, it could be done with:
  • throttle-stop bracket
  • modified throttle position sensor
  • restrictive washers in the injector bodies
  • ecu reflash (remap)
without knowing exactly what kit has been fitted and how it's just guesswork

*disclaimer: if you haven't passed the appropriate tests before removal you potentially invalidate your insurance, leave yourself open to criminal prosecution etc. etc.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I think you might be lucky, Billy. From what you describe, it sounds like a simple throttle restrictor. The only kits I'm aware of just use a throttle stop, like this one.

Have a look under the tank on the right hand side at the throttle quadrant.

Fully open the throttle and see if you can see anything that might be stopping it from fully opening. On my 1100 Evo, which shares the throttle assembly with your 796, I get about 90° rotation from fully closed to fully open.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Didn't some Ducatis also use a restrictive washer in the exhaust, just before the end can, not sure which models though?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
mickj

Bike: M1200s
There may be a requirement to inform the DVLA if you remove the restriction as it may effect your insurance.
Old 30-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Dukedesmo

Throttle stop sounds like a poor way to restrict a bike - I mean how many of us (truthfully) could resist the temptation to alter it if we had such a bike?...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, and did you see the price of it?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
billy 192

well all it turned out to be a small L shaped piece of steel that just interfered with the throttle stop.
off in 10 mins plus there was a funny yellow seal with wire through the plate. now the throttle goes all the way to the proper stop on the body.

Ok so the bike will not turn over.

New fully charged battery
relay works
starter works if you touch on the batt
tomorrow i will check the side stand switch

I have never had a ducati so
is there a weird way of starting?
do i need to have the stand up?
do i need to pull the clutch in?
so i put the key in turn one click
i hear the fuel pump at the rear of the bike prime
dash lights up headlight comes on
kill switch is in the on position
press the start button no starter noise jus more priming in the tank i think
lights dip
it just sits there laughing at me
Billy
p
Old 01-05-2020, 05:11 AM   #9
350TSS

If the lights are dimming when you press the starter it means there is a current draw on the battery, so whatever way you are doing it, side stand up, clutch in etc all these safety interlocks are in the right mode/place for it to start.
That means that either a) the starter motor is getting current but insufficient to turn - in which case the earth connections to the frame/ motor are providing too much resistance - usually, a battery to frame and frame to engine leads need their surfaces free of corrosion, also worth checking the terminal post on the starter motor, careful to make sure you only undo the retaining nut for the terminal and not to turn the post that goes into the starter motor as it rips the internal wires off the starter brushes; or
b) the starter motor is faulty and has a duff pole on the commutator and has come to rest at that segment - try rocking the bike back and forth on gear to see if you can move the starter motor to a different pole on the commutator; or
c) there is something mechanical preventing the engine from turning over, make sure that the engine will turn over when rocking it back and forward in gear.
My money would be on poor earth/starter motor connections.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
billy 192

thanks for the reply
ok
i removed the fat wire from the starter solinoid down to the starter and touched the live battery terminal and the starter spins the engine no trouble.
Billy
Old 01-05-2020, 06:50 AM   #11
350TSS

So you effectively bypassed the solenoid? Therefore it seems likely the problem is your solenoid or the wiring to it. Solenoids are very simple devices that rarely go wrong, a coil and a magnetised bolt that makes a quick connection at higher amperages. On earlier monsters the two-pin small wire connector had an issue coming loose, I do not know if it the same on the later ones. On of these leads should have power when the starter button is pressed and the other should be to earth.
It might be worth checking that the starter relay is working. I think you can swap the relays around and see if the solenoid then functions.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #12
slob

I believe the headlight should be on and the ECU kills it during starting, rather than just current drain dimming it?
Does your neutral light work? the ECU won’t let the starter turn if it thinks the bike is in gear and the clutch is out.
There should be a voltage reading on the dash, have a look in thr owners manual for hoe to access it. If yiu didn’t get one with the bike you should be able to download on from ducati.com
Old 01-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
There should be a voltage reading on the dash, have a look in the owners manual for how to access it.
To access the voltage read out on the dash, just push the mode switch on the left switch cluster forward once and you'll see the voltage on the dash. To exit, just push the mode switch forward and hold it there for three seconds.

Was the bike running ok before you removed the restrictor? If so it's seems too much of a coincidence that it's now started to play up. I'm wondering if you disturbed the wiring when you derestricted it. It might be worth double checking all the connections under the tank and also check that the injector relay (shown as #15 in this diagram) is pressed fully home. It lives on the battery box and can become loose resulting in poor or no starting.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #14
billy 192

ok so solenoid does click when pressing the starter button so i presume the wiring is ok. when i put a muliti meter across the two big bolts there is 12,43 volts when the ignition is on, i thought it should be nil ?

it looks like the solenoid

a bit of back ground (it helps)

I bought the bike just the week the lock down started
it was delivered with a dead battery (**** company)
part exed my 2002 900ie dark
they said buy a batt we will give you the cash i did they did. fitted said battery the discovered still not start. they are not the best at answering the phone or emails. blaming the COVID 19
I rejected the bike and wanted my old (working) bike back. they did not reply until last week. offered me some cash as a settlement. I am pretty good with the mechanical side so I agreed as my worries was they may go bust and i will have nothing. so its then i noticed the restriction.

the bike has only done 6k
Old 01-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
slob

12-13V is what you should see across the battery, the question is what happens to the voltage when you hit the start button, and just after?
See post #10 here http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58310
Does the solenoid click once or click-click-click until you release the button?
I agree with Luddite, if the bike ran ok when restricted, you’ve removed the restrictor and it now won’t start then it sounds like you’ve dislodged something.
I take it the “funny yellow seal with a wire through it” isn’t electrical and connected to something else, it’s just a tamperproof indicator like your electricity meter at home?

Last edited by slob; 01-05-2020 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: added link