UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Monster 695 Fuel Pump Woes......

Old 17-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
Kentgent

Monster 695 Fuel Pump Woes......

Hi all,

Anyone had this experience? From looking at various forums it is reasonably commonplace.

Any assistance/experience pointers appreciated.

Bike serviced less than 30 miles/ 1 month ago, new cambelts etc. rode with no issues once since. Went to go out this weekend, started on the button, then while I was getting jacket/helmet on died and won't start since. Cranks over fine.

The pump is not priming so I am 90% certain it is that

I have checked -
Battery- OK
Replaced both relays under the seat (Fuel and Ecu?) with new
Checked all fuses
Have squirted some flammable down the intake and the bike roared into life
I am getting a blip of 12V at the pump connector plug positive under the tank as the ignition goes on and then 11.5 -12.v circa as it is cranking with no action from the pump.

I have seen several videos regarding the connections failing under the epoxy in the flange - I suspect it is there, will confirm once i've emptied the tank and carried out continuity tests with the flange out.

Ducati want £ 790.34 for a complete new unit - This will mean my kids get no christmas presents so not an option!!

Apparently a fix in the form of part number 51020032A which is the loom including the aluminium pot with the epoxy connectors which is fitted via a circlip and sealed with an o-ring , from an ST2 is available, but there is some debate as the ST2 has 3 wires and the monster has 4 wires (an additional earth) s0 this fix would include having to modify, which given where it is I don't want to be doing.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated - bike has done about 10.5K total so son't want to be spending £1K on fixing a fuel issue a month after spending £ 650 on service, cambelts, rear brake cylinder and a new rear tyre

I have a video of the issue but don't know if I can post it here or post a link to it on youtube?

Suggestions please.

BEst regards
Will

Last edited by Kentgent; 17-10-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Old 17-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
more likely to be the pump itself getting gummed up with ‘varnish’ since the bike has likely spent long periods standing, given age and mileage. You should be able to put 12v directly onto the pump and see if it works.

any help?
http://ca-cycleworks.com/fp-duc.html
you’ll likely get a bill for VAT & 6% import duty before it clears customs but it beats £790

Last edited by slob; 17-10-2019 at 11:56 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentgent View Post

Ducati want £ 790.34 for a complete new unit
£800 for a fuel pump? Or is it the whole flange/base etc., even so

As for a replacement pump, I read on another forum that this; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suitable-...8/291640820379 is suitable?

I can't personally confirm that it is but at £30 it's certainly worth a try...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
more likely to be the pump itself getting gummed up with ‘varnish’ since the bike has likely spent long periods standing, given age and mileage. You should be able to put 12v directly onto the pump and see if it works.

any help?
http://ca-cycleworks.com/fp-duc.html
you’ll likely get a bill for VAT & 6% import duty before it clears customs but it beats £790
These pumps can also be had from Exact UK in this country.

http://www.exactuk.com/ccw-fuel-pumps/

I think Exact UK give a discount for members of Ducatiforum.co.uk - not sure if they'd knock anything off for UKMOC members.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Kentgent

Update

Thanks Guys for the various replies:

The nearly £ 800 was for the whole unit. Still daylight robbery in my opinion and I am half Italian -

The comment about varnishing is a possible suspect, bike sat for about 15 months on a battery tender - although it was running fine up to about a week ago..

The CCW aspect was already being researched and I have now found that the replacement aluminium pot and wiring (apparently a common failure due to quality control issues with the soldered and epoxied wiring joints at factory) is available via Stu at Exactfit in the uk for circa £90.....and I have located a pump with a 2 year warranty and fitting kit on Ebay at around £ 30.......so at £ 120.00 a massive improvement on what I was expecting.

I will open her up at the weekend to check if the wiring /epoxy joints are indeed FUBARed and if not it becomes a case of changing the pump. Hurrah! Obviously while its out, new fuel filter and change those horrible press clips to jubilee ones.

One last question - I had previously changed the o-ring on the flange to the uprated type - Ducati realised these fail after a while and re-issued a new type with 3 seating 'faces' which has thus far not leaked in the two years its been on - As I am taking the flange out again would you guys recommend I get a fresh gasket - memory serves me correct they're about £ 25.....

Cheers fellas!

Last edited by Kentgent; 17-10-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Old 17-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
slob

Personally, I’d buy one just in case and keep it for later if the used one is leak free on reassembly. You’ll get 10% off at MotoRapido as a UKMOC member.

ps. you can link to videos (or anything else) using the ‘globe’ button above the reply box, or embed images with the ‘mountain’ button next to it.

Last edited by slob; 17-10-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Old 17-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Sirc

Bike: M1200R
not on a Monster, but have used several EBay pumps for £12 approx over the years and have been fine. Spending a little more might give better piece of mind and quicker delivery of course.
Old 17-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
stopintime

Bike: S2r
http://ca-cycleworks.com/fwires.html
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You will struggle to get the o ring to seal or even seat properly again unless you use a new one. Just my experience with the 916/748 bikes which use a similar seal.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentgent View Post
Obviously while its out, new fuel filter and change those horrible press clips to jubilee ones.
Changing the fuel filter on my 1100 Evo is one of those jobs I've got pencilled in for over the winter and I've recently assembled the parts needed to do the job. I bought the filter from Moto Rapido and noticed that it was a Mahle unit (KL97). A quick check on the Opie Oils site, (which has been recommended several times elsewhere on this forum), revealed the exact same filter for half the Ducati price. So if you haven't yet bought yours, I'd suggest you try Opie first.

It looks like you'd need a KL145.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60811-m...kl145-bmw.aspx

As for the press clips you mention, I'm guessing they'll be the Oetiker type and I plan to fit the same again rather than jubilee clips. In theory, because the Oetiker clamps are stepless, they provide even pressure right round the hose, which jubilee clips don't.

Having said that, Ducati list replacements for the Evo, which are...jubilee clips!

According to Craig at Moto Rapido, there's no point in ordering them anyway as they come with a short length of hose, (which seems to serve no purpose), and they're the wrong size anyway.

Once I know what the correct size is, I'll probably order them from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-OETIK...l/183921490866
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
jerry
Old Git

I got 4 mahle 145 filter a couple of years ago from a local motor factor for £25 Ducati price is gouging

as for the fuel pump i used a cheap ebay one designed for a Honda it was £27 ,, it was smaller but i made it fit my friends M800 in thailand and it works fine did the same with a Benelli ,, also works well,,
the exact one will be a good option too,
Old 22-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The Mahle filters are fitted to BMW and much cheaper frm a BMW supplier

Old 22-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
slob

which model of bmw? my experience of bmw dealers is: if you don’t know the exact model/part or bmw part number they can’t find or supply anything
Old 23-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

From memory my old K100 was one.

Old 19-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #15
Kentgent

Fixed it....no hang on I haven't (

Well, just an update folks.....

In the end, decided my issue was to do with the wiring that goes through the epoxy pot in the flange to the fuel pump, so bought the replacement kit from Exact.uk (its the california cycle works kit) - didn't do anything with it over winter, then about 6 weeks ago as we all had time on our hands...uh hum.....thought I'd give it a go.
Sure enough, changed the flange pot wiring, at the same time changed the strainer and the fuel filter. Put it all together, then hey-presto......fired up on the first touch of the start button.....
Pleased as punch, I put the battery back on tender and started the bike once/twice a week since then for the last 6 weeks or so.....
Yesterday, as restrictions had lifted thought it would be a good time to go out for a quick spin......same issue as original......engine turns over, but will not fire.....can't be the wiring harness as just changed that, can't be a blocked strainer or filter as both new, can't be a starter relay as both relays were changed too.......and as it has been starting on the button for the last 4 weeks or so (but not actually going anywhere) I am left with the thought that the fuel pump (only thing I didn't change) is somehow internally gummed up so it isn't priming? Can't hear it.....

Wish i'd changed the pump regardless while I had it apart now

Tags
695fuelpump