UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Neutral switch gremlins .. and .. The Sidestand Diode Mod.

Old 23-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well, I've just been and checked my bike, just to be sure, and your installation looks to be basically the same as mine.
I've made the connections in slightly different locations .. the one to the neutral switch wire is on the other side of the single pole amp superseal connector but that's obviously an insignificant difference and my connection to the sidestand wire is at the relay itself but its still to the grey wire, which is the live from the sidestand switch .. so all seems to be well there.
My next thought would be that those blue patch connector units might not be making a good connection .. I'm guessing that they kinda snap closed over the wire and cut into it to make the connection. Is there any way you can check the continuity of those ?
After that I can only think that you've got a duff diode (or one of the connections to it is bad).

I'm not the world's best electrician myself but this should all be reasonably straightforward so I think my analysis should be accurate.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #17
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
My next thought would be that those blue patch connector units might not be making a good connection .. I'm guessing that they kinda snap closed over the wire and cut into it to make the connection.
Indeed, 'Scotchlok' connectors are the work of the Devil and definitely have no place on a bike or anywhere that vibration/moisture/corrosion can occur.

Not saying they're the cause of the problem but you should definitely replace them with a better alternative.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #18
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
https://youtu.be/mMXDa5hVzXA
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #19
SpeakForYou

I've tested both my diodes with the mulitmeter and got a reading. I have continuity with the scotch locks too. Will take another look today and see how I get on.
Old 24-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
SpeakForYou

Thanks guys. Bloody quick connectors ��
Old 24-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #21
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Aha .. I assume its working now then ?
Tbh it did seem highly likely that the connectors were at fault because the modification was having no effect on the system at all.
As long as the diode was capable of allowing current to flow, you should have had some change in the operation of the sidestand cutout .. quite probably it would have started with the stand either up or down.
Glad you're sorted anyway.
Old 24-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #22
SpeakForYou

I was thinking about trying them today anyway just to see. Glad its working, its like having a normal bike now��

Thanks for all the help��
Old 29-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #23
PPuxley

Quote:
If that all sounds complicated, a quick summary would read ....
Connect a length of wire between the neutral switch wire and the control terminal on the sidestand relay, fitting the diode and a bullet connector somewhere along its length.
Hi Utopia
I was looking at this yesterday for an early Monster, 95.
Am I right -those dont have a Side stand relay? The side stand switch simply switches a live feed to a dash warning triangle lamp that is earthed.
A couple of small Songle relays and a few diodes would do it I think, to give you:-
  • A starter interlock that will only allow the bike to be started in Neutral
  • A sidestand interlock that will kill the ignition if the side stand is down AND the bike is not in Neutral
  • Also a manual bypass to the starter interlock, if you were worried about the Neutral light failing

Last edited by PPuxley; 02-05-2021 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Diagram revised and corrected
PPuxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #24
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Aha .. you assume that I'm well versed in electrical matters.
I'm afraid that's not the case.
I originally learned of the diode mod through another club member .. I didn't work it out for myself.
Having said that, I did manage to decipher its logic sufficiently to satisfy myself that it would work, but I'm afraid that's just about the limit of my capabilities.
I'm not really competent to advise on your system.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #25
PPuxley

Quote:
Aha .. you assume that I'm well versed in electrical matters.
I'm afraid that's not the case.
I originally learned of the diode mod through another club member .. I didn't work it out for myself.
Having said that, I did manage to decipher its logic sufficiently to satisfy myself that it would work, but I'm afraid that's just about the limit of my capabilities.
I'm not really competent to advise on your system.
Thanks. I was really posting it in case anyone was interested in a solution for non side stand relay models. This is what it amounts to when made up. Just need to encapsulate it once Ive added the power diodes which are in the post. I think there might be a more elegant solution on the Neutral/starter lockout, but its not quite come to me yet.

Old 21-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #26
PPuxley

I have finished the relay module now and it works as intended.
  1. Stops the bike being driven away with the side stand down.
  2. Allows the motor to run while on the side stand
  3. Only allows the bike to start if in Neutral or with the clutch pulled in.
  4. Manual switches to return opeation to "Normal"
  5. "Fails" to normal operation, should Neutral light switch fail , for example
  6. Fits neatly between the CDI and the coil.
  7. Safegaurded with a time delay to prevent false operation of the sidestand switch

Last edited by PPuxley; 21-05-2021 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Incorrect notation on diagram
PPuxley is offline   Reply With Quote