UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Exact fit belts

Old 20-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #16
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
The Tension2go app didn't work on my android phone and the Gates Carbon one gave me a reading of 98. It also gave readings of 12, 523 and all points in between without moving the phone on the rare occasions it actually gave a reading...

I've gone back to the allen key method to try to limit the blisters on my thumbs
Old 21-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #17
rac3r

I'm a bit confused with tensioning as per my thread but as for the apps I find connecting headphones and using the mic from them gives a much more stable reading
Old 21-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #18
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
I bought a Motoreva tensioning tool a few years ago from the US. It works very reliably as it has a long thin rod which takes the reading and can get right next to the belt. And digital display.
I can’t find them for sale. Maybe they’ve packed in manufacturing them?

Last edited by damien666; 21-05-2020 at 05:10 PM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:58 PM   #19
The Drift

Bike: M800ie
JPDIAG has free belt tensioning software on his page. 2nd from the top.

https://jpdiag.akress.com/
The Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #20
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
I've always tensioned belts using mechanical means; I have a Facom tensioner for the 916 but it won't fit the Monster as there isn't space to get it in, so I've used the go/no-go allen key method which IMO is a little subjective but I really don't think the tension is that critical (and better a tad loose than tight).

This year I changed belts on both bikes and used the Exact fit for the first time (always used Ducati belts until now). I have to say they seem fine and are significantly cheaper than the OEM.

I also tried the gates app on my phone, about which I was a bit dubious but have to say that it seemed very good with the frequency confirming that my old-school methods were pretty much spot-on and it seemed very repeatable.

I got the odd 'fake' reading if holding/twanging differently but overall I was quite impressed and will definitely use it again along with the mechanical tests.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote