UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » M750 rear bump stop missing ??

Old 15-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
M750 rear bump stop missing ??

just examining one of my M750s which has original Sachs ?? shock i think ... the shock works fine but the bump stop has rotted away ,, is it somthing I can replace at home ???
Old 15-05-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I reckon you'd have to slit it with a razorblade or scalpel and then super glue it back together over the rod. That would be my country boy approach anyway.
Old 15-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I wouldn't consider it to be a DIY job.

Does it have a remote reservoir? If so, it'll contain pressurised nitrogen, so won't be home serviceable.

If it's just a basic shock with no reservoir, then you'll still have to completely strip it to get access to the end of the damper rod so that you can slip the new bump stop on. That will require a spring compressor then you'll have to remove the shock body cap to expose the circlip that holds the whole thing together. Even after all that, you'd still need to know the correct amount and grade of oil to refill it with.

If the shock is of an age that the bump stop has perished, then it's probably passed its best too. Time for a replacement perhaps?

Some places can refresh them, but I wouldn't think a stock Sachs was worth the effort.

Brook Suspension offer that service for £130 plus £18 for a bump stop https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/sa...epair-service/

Or you could try Mark Hammond Racing http://www.mhracing.com/
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I wouldn't consider it to be a DIY job.

Does it have a remote reservoir? If so, it'll contain pressurised nitrogen, so won't be home serviceable.
Actually, even if it hasn't got a separate reservoir, it may still contain gas. I've just been looking at the old Sachs shock from my Evo to see how easy it would be to strip and it has a sticker on the body warning that it contains 'pressurised gas'. (Yours may be the same). There's no external valve on this shock though so, even if you could successfully dismantle it, I can't see how you could recharge it with gas. (Presumably, the shock rebuild companies drill the body and insert a valve to facilitate recharging.)

So Mr Gazza's method is probably your only option if you don't want to replace the shock itself. (You would probably still need a spring compressor to get access to the damper rod.)
Old 16-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
jerry
Old Git

there is a 30mm gap in the spring I could get a bump stop in ,,, i was thinking maybe of getting a YSS shock for £295 for it , but due to covid and not being able to work im a bit short of cash .
Old 16-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
there is a 30mm gap in the spring I could get a bump stop in ,,, i was thinking maybe of getting a YSS shock for £295 for it , but due to covid and not being able to work im a bit short of cash .
YSS seem really good value for money and get good reviews too. Brook Suspension currently have them for £265 including VAT with free delivery.

You could alway put out a request for a second-hand unit in the "I want" section; I'm sure someone must have something suitable out there.
Old 20-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
jerry
Old Git

I have looked at many secondhand ones on fleabay and mine is in far better condition im sure mine needs fresh oil and gas refurb as its 23 years old it has no leaks ???? ,,,I may get it refurbed later in year or get a new one ,, I usually get M shock ones for £350 as they have the correct spring weights ,, I have found out the YSS ones have spring rate for 85kg rider and to get correct spring rate costs an extra £38 so the price difference is only £50 ,,,