UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Monster 1200 Head Gasket Leak

Old 17-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
Shahwales

Monster 1200

So recently I found that my 2014 M1200

Last edited by Shahwales; 25-08-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Old 17-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'm afraid it's way more complex than that with the 1200, the miracle of compactness means:
You need to support the entire chassis, since the rear shock and seat subframe both attach to the rear cylinder head, so will need removal before you can get the head off.
You'll also need to remove the airbox and throttle bodies.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
Shahwales

Slob, have you done it? I got a Abba skylift, couple with a jack under the oil pan, this should be ok?
Old 17-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
As to sandpapering the head it really depends what you see when you get it off. Personally, I would only use sandpaper (wet and dry paper) to remove any minor scratches, marks left if there is any residual gasket goo, etc.
Even then I would put the sandpaper (wet and dry paper c 600 grit) on a sheet of glass or a known very flat surface and rub the head in a figure of 8 pattern with even pressure from above across the whole gasket face so that you limit the possibility of "crowning" the gasket face.
The head would then need to be thoroughly washed wiped /down to stop any residual abrasive from being introduced into the cylinder bore.
I think probably a 1200 head is too big for this process as the footprint would be almost as big as the wet and dry A4 sheets.
If that is the case you have 2 options put it back together with new Viton seals, before doing so you could try a steel ruler across all the bolt holes with a torch behind it to see if it is flat or warped.
The other option is to take it to a machine shop for a very light skim which you will have to do if it is warped.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
slob

I haven’t done it myself. But I can confirm your steps in more detail if you’re going to do it (I have a 1200R manual, which is similar but not identical)
An ABBA stand should be ideal.
Personally I’d probably use a (soap free) nylon scoring pad to clean the surfaces in situ.
You need to be prepared to replace the base gasket too, if the barrel shifts at all.
Old 17-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
You need to be prepared to replace the base gasket too, if the barrel shifts at all.
I'm not familiar with the 1200 engine but if it's anything like the older engine design? then it would be madness to remove the head and not, at least re-seat the barrel as there's a very good chance you'll disturb it, meaning that you'll (potentially) swap one leak for another.

That said the base gasket (on the older bikes) is a steel shim and so can be re-used with some new gasket goo.

Gives you an excuse to clean up the piston, valves & head etc. whilst you're in there, of course then you'll want to do the other head and so it begins...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
slob

yup, 1198 testastretta detuned for road use, so a direct evolution
Old 17-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #8
Shahwales

The more I think about doing this, the more mad it starts to sound!

Last edited by Shahwales; 25-08-2020 at 11:20 AM..