UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Hydraulic Clutch Fluid Issue

Old 07-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #46
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Yes wet clutch
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #47
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think it also depends of the size of the master cylinder. I have to have mine on max span in order to get enough movement.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #48
Ron1000

Shakedown test (whilst going out for essentials) successful. Clutch is getting nicer to use as it beds in. And my gear shift lever and rod from the other post is working well too.

Bled the clutch this morning; before and after the shakedown test. All is good.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #49
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
Ron - Oberon is the way to go...I had a really small leakage like you for ages and just kept topping it up. Then the bike sat in storage for 5 years and all the fluid leaked out the slave and all over the swingarm etc and screwed the paint. Nasty stuff!

I was surprised how long it took to bleed after fitting an Oberon on my M600 though...man I was convinced something was wrong...all good now though!
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #50
Ron1000

Thread resurrection.

Just been on a quick run and when I got back to the house I’ve noticed my chain is hitting my clutch slave and basically shaving off metal.

It’s not too bad and I think I’ve caught it in time.

My question tho is what would cause this, the oberon slave has been faultless since install and the chain is a Renthal SRS type and in good condition.
Old 25-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #51
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
How close is the slave to the chain/sprocket? because on both my (old) Ducatis it would take a big problem for the chain to hit the slave as it's a good distance and no way for the two to meet.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #52
Luddite

I've just popped the sprocket cover off mine and there's about 2mm clearance between the chain side plates and the back of the slave cylinder.

I guess if the chain and/or gearbox sprocket is worn, any side play could allow the chain to skim the cylinder. Also, is the gearbox sprocket itself tight and the tab washer still in good condition?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #53
Ron1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I've just popped the sprocket cover off mine and there's about 2mm clearance between the chain side plates and the back of the slave cylinder.

I guess if the chain and/or gearbox sprocket is worn, any side play could allow the chain to skim the cylinder. Also, is the gearbox sprocket itself tight and the tab washer still in good condition?
Interesting pics them. Yeah I’ve examined the sprocket nut and tab and both look ok with the minor exception that the sprockets looks to have tried to break away from the tab at some point as it sits flush at one side and higher at the other. The tab looks to have done it’s job and kept the sprocket in place.

I’m also currently locked out my house and sitting in the garden so no access to tools to investigate further.

It does look like the chain has moved forward by 2/3mm. It also looks very very recent (last 1 or 2 miles of run).
Old 25-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #54
Luddite

Also, assuming the sprocket is tight on the shaft, is there any play in the output shaft itself if you push and pull on the sprocket?
Old 25-03-2022, 04:46 PM   #55
Dukedesmo

Presumably the sprocket sits further out due to a wider rear end/wheel than an M900 because there's around 10mm spacing on mine.

What size front sprocket? would think 15t but if larger it wouldn't help or if the chain is loose/worn enough to be 'jumping' on the sprocket otherwise, as above play in the shaft or nut?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 05:02 PM   #56
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Interesting seeing the pics. I took my m900 DID chain to work today to give it a tank clean as had dust and stuff over. Lucky I found the join was loose not down as should be and maybe 2 o rings on one side. Regardless I'm changing the link but..... my chain is a 520 not 525 like yours Luddite. I never fitted the chain on mine it was on there and is shiney and fresh in all the joints. Had mine been a 525 we had a spare link.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 05:04 PM   #57
Luddite

What part of the slave cylinder is the chain rubbing on? Is it the outer body? (Red in this picture.) Or is it the back plate? (Silver in the picture.)

Where the chain passes behind the cylinder, there should be nothing proud of the outer body. If the chain is rubbing on the back plate, it may be that this has started to unscrew. Pull the slave cylinder off and see if anything is loose.
Old 25-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #58
Ron1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
What part of the slave cylinder is the chain rubbing on? Is it the outer body? (Red in this picture.) Or is it the back plate? (Silver in the picture.)

Where the chain passes behind the cylinder, there should be nothing proud of the outer body. If the chain is rubbing on the back plate, it may be that this has started to unscrew. Pull the slave cylinder off and see if anything is loose.
This is the problem and the fix. It wasn’t sitting in that recess, which I find weird because it’s been on for a good long time and surely if it was wrong it would manifest it’s self sooner or immediately. Is it possible for the engine vibration to gently rotate the clutch shaft? Fixed it now.

Again thanks for the advice guys.

Pics of before and after

One last thing when you say ‘started to unscrew’ do you mean that keyed part isn’t freely rotating? Does it have threads it’s supposed to tighten into? If so i would imagine mines would start to rotate again.

Last edited by Ron1000; 25-03-2022 at 05:55 PM..
Old 25-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #59
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
This is the problem and the fix. It wasn’t sitting in that recess, which I find weird because it’s been on for a good long time and surely if it was wrong it would manifest it’s self sooner or immediately. Is it possible for the engine vibration to gently rotate the clutch shaft? Fixed it now.

Again thanks for the advice guys.

Pics of before and after

One last thing when you say ‘started to unscrew’ do you mean that keyed part isn’t freely rotating? Does it have threads it’s supposed to tighten into? If so i would imagine mines would start to rotate again.
Jeez that's bad
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #60
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
sprocket is very worn on the side of the teeth, something’s out of alignment. almost like the boss has been fitted on the wrong side of the sprocket, except that side would wear on a 696 with the sprocket fitted for 796/1100.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote