UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Vapour blasting.. Not!

Old 23-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #16
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
you could try one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Nylon-A...QAAOSwkz1els0T
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:02 PM   #17
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Well I fished the head out of the dishwasher along with the breakfast things and I'm well impressed with the job it did. Even cleaner than after the ultra-sound cleaning. This will be a go to method in the future. Unfortunately although it was clean and a uniform colour, instead of the blotches, it is now a uniform slightly darker grey than before.
A couple of sessions in the ultra-sound again, has reduced the darkness a bit.
A little practice with the Autosol and toothbrush again did induce a faint shine so there's hope with plenty of elbow grease, I found a splash of vinegar seemed to help?

I have plenty of sharp sand as it happens Nasher, I had two jumbo bags delivered today. These are now under armed guard overnight.
I can see the sand in the bag working on smaller parts, but the head is too large I think.
I know what you mean by a rumbler or tumbler. They use lozenge shaped abrasive blocks and do a fantastic job of cleaning parts up. It did occur to me that maybe an ultra-sound cleaner could be employed in a similar way, perhaps using ceramic beads in a liquid medium.
It's not something I am going to try with a borrowed U-S cleaner, but I reckon it might work with the beads and workpiece in a cloth bag suspended in the vibrating liquid medium.

I think I have some of those cup brushes Jeff, so I might try that too.

thank you for the heads up with the brass brushes too Stevie.

As for the todger method, The thing is BRD, I want to get into the fins as far as possible and I think I would be limited by length. Some of those fins are a good two inches deep! Besides which the Norton is already fu…..

The nylon bushes are good, but you can also get felt polishing pads for a Dremmel which are small enough to fit between fins on a M900 from eBay. Use these with autosol you will have no problem getting the results you want.
Old 24-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #18
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
Staybright cloth is brilliant, can be rolled around bar etc use with TCut. That's what I use.

Couldn't find a link but ...
https://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swo...d-armour.html/
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #19
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
Oops meant scotch bright
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #20
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Dishwasher salt turns alloy a very dull grey.... as I found out by putting my coffee pot in... I’m still polishing it back to bright a week later

I used to have a small table top dishwasher that I ran salt free much better
Old 24-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #21
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks to all for these tips. I would have tried a brass wire brush if I had not been warned.
I have wire wool, Scotchbrite, toothbrushes, cup brushes, Dremel, Autosol and T-cut so plenty of options.

Yes the dishwasher salt did turn it a dull grey Pedro, but I still think it was worth a punt.

Unfortunately I have run right out of spare time with so much work piled up, so it will be a while before I can look at this again, by which time Vapour blasting might be available again so that would still be my first option. I think I will squirt it with WD-40 to stop it going white and put it away.

Thanks again guys..