UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello everyone! If you're reading this...

Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
cakes

Hello everyone! If you're reading this...

then I must finally be a member and able to post, we had a few problems joining up... Anyway after seeing plenty of nice bikes sold on the site and not being able to do anything about it we finally (share my bikes with my girlfriend) picked up a low mileage (1900! genuine who knows?) 1998 620 Monster Dark, and although I enjoy riding Jap machines this bike is fantastic to ride, so much fun. The bike has no sevice history just 3 MOT's that back up the mileage, stored for 5 years, so I'm wondering if even though it runs great do we need to get it serviced right away? I've seen a few posts saying how the belts must be changed, and if so any recommendations where to take it and idea of costs.... not much money left. We're not looking to make any cosmetic changes but if anyone has any advice regarding what a mechanically challenged individual can do to improve ride etc let me know. Obviously I don't want Natty Boy trying to tempt me with his bling or any dubious characters trying to interest me in taking it on track days, coz I wont be tempted! We're in London by day and Chorleywood by night so if any ride outs are taking place let us know. 3 pix attached for anyone who's interested.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg damien1.jpg (26.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg damien2.jpg (23.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg damien3.jpg (25.5 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by cakes; 10-01-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Best user pic ever!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
giler

welcome, bike looks nice and clean.
Best colour as well!
Definately get the belts changed and give it an oil change before you do anything.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Greeting's & Welcome

If it has indeed been stored for 5 yrs.....DO NOT even start it before you change those belts.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
johndglynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouSCannon View Post
Best user pic ever!
+1: send me a high-res version if you have it!

Bike looks great, welcome John

Last edited by johndglynn; 10-01-2008 at 11:29 AM..
Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The miles are low for the age LOL another pampered toy joins the real world!!
I'd advise getting some belts and changing them yesterday or sooner just to be on the safe side. An oil change would be good too. These are DIY jobs if you can get a spot out of the rain and cold
It isn't expensive and a real peasy job and way cheaper than cleaning up after one breaks

NAtty does get some lovely stuff tho' ... If you only do one thing it's to get some replacement {cough cough} 'silencers' preferrably not really
quiet ones!!! Then you'll be wanting ...........
LOL welcome to the world of Monsters
Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
cakes

The bike was stored for 5 years by the first owner and then the guy I bought it from had it for a year and half during which he changed the oil & filter, he only covered 500 miles while he had it, I've already given it a good run and luckily it seems ok.

johndglyn if you pm or post up an email address I'll send you the picture I used for my avatar, I cannot pm it to you because the file is too large.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Please change the cam belts before you ride it again! They have a life of 2 years regardless of miles (the more the better strangely) and if they go, they take a lot of the engine with them...

If you don't want to bling and don't want to do trackdays, you could try DesmoDue racing
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndglynn View Post
+1: send me a high-res version if you have it!

Bike looks great, welcome John
Me too excellent
And welcome

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
stevie

Me too and Hi.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
benson

Welcome and nice pic - and is your name a good hint of what you share out on rides???
Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
cakes

Sounds like "damien" should stay off the road for now :-( and the origins of my name will remain a mystery although I'm sure I can stretch to a few custard tarts!

Due to popular demand and my other halfs knowledge of how to this kinda stuff this should take you to my avatars original picture http://www.lusobreedsociety.co.uk/ne...ker_girls1.jpg
Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
cakes

Very nice indeed Stafford! it never rains but it pours, we're not riding the Monster because of the belts and the VFR has a puncture...
Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Welcome mate

Yep - same as above - GET THOSE BELTS CHANGED !! If you cant get it done soon, whip the belt covers off the weekend and check tension (you shouldnt be able to twist the belt much more than 30 degrees as a rough guide) and just look at the general condition of them and clean round the pulleys etc with a paint brush.

Then get your pocket money out and ring me - lol !!!

Nat
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote