UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Winter commuting questions

Old 13-12-2022, 07:54 AM   #16
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Glad to hear everybodie's Monsters are working fine in the cold. I ran my M900 through the first winter I had it and it was a disaster:- the carbs froze-up, the brake clagged up with salt corrosion and the engine cases went all furry with the paint peeling off, it aged the bike into a classic over-winter.
Old 13-12-2022, 08:14 AM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
If you're not using the other bike this winter, why don't you swap the heated grips onto the Monster? I think they are fairly universal, but then I've never fitted any.

Had you considered heated gloves and heated socks?
A friend of mine has occasion to walk fields this time of year and swears by his heated socks. He reckons a charge lasts all day and only ever needs to use the low setting.
Expensive, but are they though, If they keep you comfortable?
Old 13-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #18
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Back in the day I used to do despatch riding (on a 53 plunger BSA B31) around London, anyway one day I came across Captain Sneddon Royal Signals retired, who also rode a BSA, modified by himself to take advantage of everything electric all via Mod surplus equipment. He had heated gloves, socks, plus an all in one arctic tank suit, all connected with that twisted fabric cable & jack plugs, draped in swags either side of the petrol tank. He also informed me that he had his lunch slow cooking in one of the panniers. I told him how much I admired his style and rode on my way, but I never came across him again, where is he now?

Last edited by Bitza; 13-12-2022 at 11:51 AM..
Bitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 12:01 PM   #19
jamminbmx

Bike: M600
Kato - I own an old diesel golf but it makes my cry with boredom everytime I sit it in. Plus it is sh8t for filtering. I would rather risk frostbite than have to sit in that thing.

Gazza - good point! But the heated grips are annoying to fit as they have loooooong wires and I am crap at installing anything in anything. Gonna treat myself to a second set. Heated gloves are expensive!

Bitza - Thanks for cheering up my otherwise uninspiring lunch break.
jamminbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #20
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I know the Oxford grips work well, but I'm not a fan of the rather bulky and clumsy looking control unit. I have some Yamaha branded grips on my Gilera, which have the controller built into the left grip, so are much neater.

They wouldn't work on the Monster though because Ducati grips tend to be longer than many other marques, 128mm as against 120mm - 125mm for, say, Honda or Yamaha, so check the grip size before ordering any replacements.

If I were looking to fit heated grips to the Monster, I think I'd go for these Koso/Komine jobbies, as they also have an integrated controller and look to be quality items.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #21
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I tried heated grips.. palms of hands hot tops and tips of fingers still froze. It got a bit unnoticable below -5.
I did get some really cheap MX hand guards, keep the wind off and it improves (a bit).
Gloves are key, I did try some of those lobster claw gloves. Kind of worked but I'm usually single finger on the brake rider so not ideal. I ended up with some midrange winter gloes and silk liners though merino would have been better.
Top tip.. the engine makes a great hand warmer

On the video, many around Gloucestershire will have been over the plump into the Forest of Dean, benign in the rain and sun, bugger in the snow. The sweeping corner as you get towards the crest is distinctly off camber. One day rounding that in the snow (and dark too) following the car tracks I thought we were a bit twitchy, took a look and yep it's not the road just ice.
By the time I'd done a few more miles the roads were more like ice rinks, the mireystock crossroad was just a mess of stuck and abandoned cars and trucks and there was foot peg level snow so I diverted sideways through the forest itself where at least it was virgin snow on gradients for heavily loaded logging trucks which was fun.
Got home and decanted to the local as I wasn't going to bother trying to get to work as all the roads in and out were officially shut.
Winter snow tyres would help a lot but who does that over here??
Top tip.. the monster is quite capable on fire breaks but watch the bottomless drainage ditches.

Best tip though is watch it from somewhere warm
Old 14-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #22
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Heated gloves are the answer, I have always had poor circulation in my fingers, I've tried heated grips but found they make my palms sweat while my thumbs were still freezing!! I finally bought some gerbing heated gloves from the 2 wheel centre in Mansfield Woodhouse (Carl gave me a great deal) I was in 2 minds whether to buy the battery powered ones, but I was concerned that the battery was in the back of the glove (potential for causing injury in a crash) and the batteries (sold separately) were expensive, I decided on the wired version, you have a wiring loom that fits in your jacket with a wire running down each sleeve, a jack plug connects to each glove, other end of the loom plugs into the bikes battery with a 4 level controller in between, what a revelation, the heating elements run on the back of each digit, I never had cold hands again, I only wish that I'd had them years ago.
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 06:56 PM   #23
motomartin11

Bike: M750
I'm trying a heated waistcoat this winter. £50 new off Fleabay+ about £12 for the battery leads (to the bike battery). Being cheap there's no heat control so it's either on or off but I'm so far finding in cold weather keeping the "core" temp also helps the extremities. I tried heated grips last winter but couldn't get on with them.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #24
dunf

Bike: M1200s
The missus and I are both total converts to heated gear. I ride Blood bikes through 4 seasons, where a shift is usually circa 250 miles and a 9 hour day. Plus the kit is great for our own bikes too. Its genuinely added months to the general biking season and we can stay out much longer when we do go out. My other half will still be using hers in June mind you.... and we are in Scotland!

All our gear is made by Keis and bought from Sportsbikeshop. We have the gloves (she has two different pairs), waistcoats (and she has an inner jacket), and heated insoles. We have the battery packs too, and also the wired connections.

All our bikes are fitted with Optimate leads, which we can plug the heated inlet into with a cheap conversion cable. The old ones without a 12v battery we just use the Keis packs. The gloves have their own separate controller, and we have additional controller switches for the waistcoat and insoles.

I've also used my kit for my work using the battery packs in a pocket. Even under overalls when tinkering in the shed in winter. The wife will use her waistcoat constantly when out and about in winter.

Honestly this kit is prob the best purchase i've ever made in 30 plus years of biking, and arguably the most performing enhancing one as well (since pinlocks came about anyway). Can't go well if you can't feel your hands (or see!). We went up to Oban in November when it was about 5 degrees along with a few other lads. Beautiful day other than brutally cold. No wind, all the lochs were flat as a mirror and reflecting the mountains in Autumn orange and brown. None of the other lads even noticed. All they could concentrate on was how cold and miserable they were.

If anyone is keen to get kitted out and is confused by the multitude of wiring and controller options etc then gives a shout and i'll tell you what we found works the best.
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #25
jamminbmx

The optimate lead connection is a genius idea!

I have some Oxford grips to fit and will update when I do!
Old 26-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #26
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Just ordered a pair of heated socks. As yet un-tried of course, but currently on offer.

https://www.heated-apparel.co.uk/pro...l-heated-socks Edit.. Don't buy these! See post #31

They come with free rechargeable battery packs on the offer, so I am going to see if one pack will run both socks from a Y-lead and have the battery in my pocket.
I'll let you know.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 06-01-2023 at 01:42 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 05:22 PM   #27
Mark64
Bronze Member

You have the battery in your pocket..
Ooeer missus
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:53 AM   #28
adie851

Heated gear sounds like the way forward.....what fuel do you use in the bike....assuming its superunleaded at least 97RON.....not wise to use E10 unless in emergency and you're going to use it all without it being left in the tank for a long period ...can cause lots of problems ...more so with older bikes.....

adie851
adie851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:09 AM   #29
jamminbmx

I use Shell V-Power. They only just made it E5 here in the Netherlands and I'm sure both my carb'd bikes run worse now its got E5 in. Defo wouldn't try E10. Not supposed to be good for all the rubber bits as well as drawing water into the fuel when sitting...
Old 04-01-2023, 04:00 PM   #30
adie851

you're not wrong about E10.....never use the stuff.....ESSO super unleaded is better than shell 'v'power as there's supposedly no ethanol in it at all.....
adie851 is offline   Reply With Quote