UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello from North Wales! :-)

Old 15-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
neilo

Hello from North Wales! :-)

Hello all! I'm Neilo, from North Wales, and I'm about to buy a M1100evo (black).

I'm hoping to have the bike within 2-3 weeks (just getting finances/insurance sorted). I can't wait...

I've been riding since I was 11, and my most recent bikes have included a Versys, and most recently a ZZR1400 (rocketship!), but I am now looking for something more upright, lighter, and with lots more 'beauty & character', and I believe the M1100evo to be just that.

It'll be my first Ducati, and I'm really excited about joining the fold.

Just some questions (if you don't mind)...

Coming from riding major Japanese brands I know that parts can take a little longer to arrive (vs. Suzuki's 24hrs, and Kawa's 48hrs). Does anybody have an opinion on how long, on average, it takes for spare parts to arrive at your franchised dealer? Basically, is the availability of parts (still) an issue?

Also, on a scale of 1-10, and based on the general 'noise' of everybody on this forum, how reliable is the Monster model in general? I know that can depend on how well you look after it, but assuming a bike's well looked after, what things should I watch out for (what goes wrong mostly)? Or is there no trend/common faults. I'm hoping it'll be 90+% reliable, but let me know if I'm expecting too much.

Thanks for your responses, and hopefully see some of you soon on my travels.

Cheers

Neilo
Old 15-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
the_adam

Welcome!

From experience, parts aren't too bad to get hold of although the dealers don't seem to keep that much in stock, I often have to wait 4-5 days for something to turn up if they don't have it. Considering my bike isn't in production anymore I guess that's to be expected though. Standard parts tend to seem a little expensive for what they are, but that just gives the incentive to upgrade things a bit

Don't think there are any major problems with the new models although I don't own one myself, the plastic tanks don't react well to higher ethanol content in petrol but there haven't been too many cases in this country yet and they may have fixed that for the most recent ones?

Very good choice of bike by the way
Old 15-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
BluprintZ

Iawn boi, croeso i chi.

I'm just down the road from you mate, in Bangor.
Your nearest Ducati dealer will be Woods in Abergele, although i'm sure you may already know that.
I'm an ex Monster owner (M900) and the gang on here are mostly alright, you'll soon suss out who the troublemakers are. LOL.
Nice choice of bike.

G ; )
Old 15-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Mr.Number

Bike: S2r 1000

Hello neilo, welcome.

I dont think reliability is a topic of conversation any more with ducati. Years ago yes, theres well reported issues, but things have moved on.

Ducati twins across the board all share the same/similar parts and from my experience with a 2008 air cooled 992 its a gem and hasnt missed a beat. By far the best engine in a motorcycle iv ridden over the years.

Youl love it, especially all that torque and smoothness in and out of the bends.

Get some pics up when it lands.
Mr.Number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
neilo

Cheers for the responses thus far guys!

Waiting 4-5 days is no big deal for spare parts. As long as it doesn't take over a month, I'd be happy with that. This is one of the reasons I'm going for the Monster - lots of parts between models are similar, if not the same.

Standard parts for my ZZR are expensive for what they are - some, very expensive (e.g. £130 for one mirror). And yet the bike's a 'steal'. I can't imagine parts for the Monster being more expensive.

Shall post some pics when it arrives, and I still look forward to hearing more opinions...

Cheers!
Old 27-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
neilo

Only one week to go before my new 1100 evo (in moody black) arrives... I can't wait! :-))
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
comedian1708

did you get it? Mines about a month old now, let me now what you think.... Already I've been busy..... Carbon hugger, carbon radiator panels, carbon sprocket cover, levers, bar ends, alternator cover, tail tidy, oil cap, crash bungs and thinking of mirrors..... loving it!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Mine (also mooody black) is 2 months old now and I love it.

Start saving up for some Termis. They are awesome
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
Char
We're all mad here

Hello. keeping my eyes out for a evo breakout group
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
J.P
No more Monster...

Welcome to the Club Neilo, nice to see you've got your priorities right; 'Buy bike', 'Buy UKMOC Mug'.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
neilo

Technically...I bought the mug before the bike...but only a day before...

Here's a picture of the new Monster...even the sheep came out to have a look!

Last edited by neilo; 24-05-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
Starter Sprag

Nice bike,

That's the one I would buy, only won't part with my 900ie,

Looks like the Ponderosa to me
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
J.P
No more Monster...

Neilo, some nice pics in the hills like that and you might find yourself in the UKMOC calendar for next year.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
neilo

...sounds like a challenge to me... watch this space...
Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
Starter Sprag

Yeah, get around Snowdonia, some fantastic backdrops,

good look