UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Nuetral switch jamming gearbox

Old 19-07-2024, 09:57 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Nuetral switch jamming gearbox

The Neutral switch has been playing up for a while ,intermittant lights on dash sometimes when running , a few days ago it packed up completely , today started bike cant select gears ,

Had a look at neutral light and its broken off at the bolt head itself ?????? so thats the problem and must have vibrated inwards so switch now jamming bike in neutral but getting the threaded shaft out might be a pain???

also is there an alternative to the extortionate Ducati replacement neutral switch???
Old 19-07-2024, 12:59 PM   #2
jerry
Old Git

trying to get the Neutral switch out ,, there is a spring loaded pin then and inner liner , trying to trun the inner liner to screw the switch out ,, have removed wheel and shock unit for access and putting small mole grip on inner liner does not seem to do anything ,,,

have to try and cut the spring loaded pin off ?? maybe with a dremmel ... The I might be able to get a drill on the rest of it and drill it with 4mm drill and then easy out ????

if that dont work its split the engine .. Im so pissed off ...
Old 21-07-2024, 08:46 AM   #3
jerry
Old Git

Still trying to work out the beast way to extract whats left of the switch , but what im struggling to understand is how this happened , how did it break ? could vibration drive it in so it jams the neutral ident ???
are they that flimsy , I did replace a defective on on the S4 a few years ago but that one it was the rubber sleeve on the switch that failed and the mechanism was busted
Old 21-07-2024, 08:51 AM   #4
mickj

Bike: M1200s
I can't offer any help Jerry as I've never had any problems with neutral switches in almost 50 years of riding but it sounds like a real pisser, good luck.
Old 21-07-2024, 10:07 AM   #5
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Had the wires break off mine a couple of times but easy enough to solder them back on, if a tad tricky to access.

But it's only a stud on the shift drum that makes contact with the switch so can't see how it could jam the shift?

Have you looked at the shift/lever mechanism in the left side casing, it can jam the drum if the spring breaks.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 12:17 PM   #6
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Had the wires break off mine a couple of times but easy enough to solder them back on, if a tad tricky to access.

But it's only a stud on the shift drum that makes contact with the switch so can't see how it could jam the shift?

Have you looked at the shift/lever mechanism in the left side casing, it can jam the drum if the spring breaks.
Not yet , trying to get the switch barrel out first issue is getting rid of the plunger so i can drill into the barrel also waiting for 2 left hand drill bits 2.5mm and 4.5mm as they might just bite and the 8mm will spin out ???

now motivated to finish the old 750ss ASAP so I dont have to rush the monster ,, but I have my daughter sweet Ninja 650 to ride anyway
Old 26-07-2024, 01:21 PM   #7
Bitza
Silver Member

Bike: M900ie
Hi Jerry, I have a new neutral light switch for the 900 series engined bikes, part number 53940201A, brand new in its box. If that's any use to you pm me.
Old 10-09-2024, 11:05 AM   #8
jerry
Old Git

OK its now all fixed ,, now garage is built was able to get the bike up on the ramp, rear wheel and suspension off was able to gaing direct access to busted neutral switch , Cut off the spring spigot with a dremel, then drilled into the old switch 10mm then used an easy out and the 8mm threaded remains of switch came out eventually with some strong heat applied too.

New switch is in , also took the opportunity to grease the suspensions bearings on re assembly ,,

just waiting now for a paintwork repair and the bike will be on the road again , although im concerned about the front forks now ,, actions seems stiff and jerky ????? or maybe its me ????