UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » M696 Leaking rear shock abosorber

Old 25-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #16
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It'd be my guess that the 696/796/1100 Monsters with the cantilever suspension the same as the old 750/900SS are oversprung to begin with, so would need a lighter spring. My SS always felt better with the Mrs on the back than it did solo. No complaints about the Showa adjustable forks either on the SS which is odd since they are the same forks and don't work as well on the Monster. Since fitting the Ohlins shock on the Monster it has made them feel worse. I suspect that again they are oversprung and the damping adjustment is inadequate or simply too crude to actually do anything worthwhile.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #17
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNT View Post
Luddite, true, I haven't ridden an Evo but here is someone who has.

This guy sounds an honest guy - look what he says HERE "No need for Ohlins anything."
Well, yes, but since writing that, I think Cobra fitted the Öhlins forks from the 1100S, so he may have changed his opinion.

All I know is that it works for me. I guess if you're happy with the stock set-up, why change? I was very unhappy with mine, so did something about it and it's increased my Evo enjoyment hugely.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It'd be my guess that the 696/796/1100 Monsters with the cantilever suspension the same as the old 750/900SS are oversprung to begin with, so would need a lighter spring. My SS always felt better with the Mrs on the back than it did solo. No complaints about the Showa adjustable forks either on the SS which is odd since they are the same forks and don't work as well on the Monster. Since fitting the Ohlins shock on the Monster it has made them feel worse. I suspect that again they are oversprung and the damping adjustment is inadequate or simply too crude to actually do anything worthwhile.
Hi, Utopia.

As seems the norm these days, both the standard rear shock and forks use progressive springs. I never could find out the rates for the rear spring but the fork springs are 5.5 Nm - 8.0 Nm, so pretty soft really. In comparison, the springs K-tech fitted were 8.5 Nm (linear). Also, I think the stock fork oil is 7.5 weight while K-tech used 5.0.
Old 25-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #19
BLUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post

All I know is that it works for me.
That's a fair comment
Old 26-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #20
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hi, Luddite.
Just for the record ...you're confusing me and Darren69 again.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #21
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Hi, Luddite.
Just for the record ...you're confusing me and Darren69 again.
D'oh! Sorry both. I never suffer from brake fade but brain fade is a different matter!
Old 26-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #22
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
D'oh! Sorry both. I never suffer from brake fade but brain fade is a different matter!

A senior moment???
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
Cobra88

I did fit the forks from the 1100S but they where not much better.

I then spent an arm and half a leg getting proper internals fitted to fix the problems with the Ducati OEM Ohlins fgr736 I think

Now lovely but was quite a path strewn with problems.

all that remains are the stanchions and sliders almost everything else is now modified.
also now had an Ohlins shock custom built to match.

Not at all cheap but I love my M1100evo

DukeSixNineSix if you need a std shock I have my original sachs hanging on the wall
shout if you need it.

Last edited by Cobra88; 29-07-2017 at 04:19 PM..
Old 31-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #24
DukeSixNineSix

Hi all.

Thanks for the replies. After inspection it seems the seal has failed and as suspected a non-rebuildable unit from Sachs. So I now need to decide if I want to fork out the cash for a new shiny upgrade (most likely a Nitron based upon the above comments) or find an OEM unit I can throw in for now.
Old 31-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #25
Luddite

I agree Nitron would be a good choice but make sure you order the right unit. See here for Carlo's experience: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55536

You could check with Boris as to exactly what model he fitted.

Depending on budget and how soon you need it fixed, maybe Cobra's offer of his old Sachs unit might be your best bet. Nitron shocks are made to order and would probably take 4-5 weeks at this time of year. You could fit the snazzy unit over winter and maybe resell the Sachs unit at the same time.
Old 31-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #26
DukeSixNineSix

Just been on the the Horn to Nitron and it's currently 3-4 weeks for delivery. Will have a think about what I want to do, thanks for the offer Cobra.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #27
DukeSixNineSix

Update: I've ordered an NTR1 shock from Nitron for my Monster. I'll be sure to add some photos once it's in my paws.

Hopefully less crashing around through bumpy corners in Essex!
Old 02-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #28
Petej

I hate reading these threads, early days I've noticed being thrown out the seat on a bump in the road and not enjoyed the experience, another thing to add to the shopping list! Haha!
Old 02-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #29
DukeSixNineSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petej View Post
I hate reading these threads, early days I've noticed being thrown out the seat on a bump in the road and not enjoyed the experience, another thing to add to the shopping list! Haha!
I'll let you know what the results are! It's a dangerous business this forum chat.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #30
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petej View Post
Yep, I remember your pain well, but no longer do I suffer the kick in the butt or the proffesional footballer forks, you know the ones, constantly diving But thanks to Wilburs and K-Tech I love my Evo and feel at one with it

Last edited by chris.p; 02-08-2017 at 05:42 PM..
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, monster 696, shock