UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » cambelt tensioner bearings

Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
garry

cambelt tensioner bearings

having changed the belts a few weeks ago, today was its first proper run out, after an hour or so i was noticing a strange grinding/squeek type noise.. which actually caused me to call recovery, didnt want to risk it further until i,d checked it out.

covers off and all looks ok, so started it again, no noise, nice and quiet (ish).. then as it gets warmer it came back..

anyone experience changing these, can new bearings be pressed into the casings or is it new case and carrier ??

Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Before you think about changing the bearings, Garry, check your belt tension isn't too tight as this is a known, if not widespread, problem on the Evo.

I posted this on an earlier thread in reply to someone experiencing a similar noise to yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post

I have an 1100 Evo but have never experienced this noise, either from new or with replacement belts. However, I do remember reading about this phenomenon on a German website back in 2014 and it seems that this problem is quite well-known although it doesn't affect every bike.

It seems that this German owner had the cambelt noise at 4 bars on the temperature gauge and reported it to his dealer. Belts and rollers were changed to no effect.

After referring the matter back to Ducati Germany, it transpired that Ducati were aware of this problem and that there was an internal workshop bulletin to deal with it.

According to the service manual, the tension of new belts should be set to 140Hz and used belts should be 100Hz. The lower limit when the belts should be readjusted is given as 70Hz.

The internal workshop instruction told dealers to set the tension to the lower limit of 70Hz in cases of noisy cambelts. This reduced tension apparently eliminates or considerably reduces the noise.

Ducati never revealed the cause of the noise, or even whether they actually discovered what it was.

So this is a known problem at Ducati, although it only affects a small minority of bikes. It seems that it's an annoying problem rather than a damaging one so shouldn't be anything to worry about and your dealer should be able to do something to reduce the noise if it's bothering you.
Have a look at the whole thread...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=48249

which you might find helpful.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
garry

cheers mucker, obviously the first thing to check then..
Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
garry

cheers lud.

my fault entirely, belts too tight....

done em properly now as your guide, spot on, even checked them hot, couldnt honestly believe how much expansion there was to take up the slack... another step up the learning curve...
Old 11-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
Luddite

Great news! Well done.
Old 19-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Kcekelkai

Hello mate!
Hijacking your Thread to ask the same thing. Are the bearings to blame or should I check my tension (Horizontal is ok, Rear is squeaking)

Here's a Video (695 not an evo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nnhm6NX_y0

Last edited by Kcekelkai; 19-05-2017 at 07:41 PM..
Old 20-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Luddite

I've not heard of 696s suffering this problem, but a lot of the components are shared so it is possible as the tensioner rollers are the same as the Evo's.

Don't forget that the vertical cylinder runs hotter than the horizontal, which can lead to the belt running tighter than the horizontal. So you might want to check the tension; a lot of people advise having a lower tension on the vertical belt to take this into account. The usual guidance, if you're using the Allen key method to check the tension, is to use a 5mm for the front belt and 6mm for the rear.

Having said that, the Ducati workshop manual (for the Evo) shows the same tension on both cylinders.
Old 20-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Kcekelkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I've not heard of 696s suffering this problem, but a lot of the components are shared so it is possible as the tensioner rollers are the same as the Evo's.

Don't forget that the vertical cylinder runs hotter than the horizontal, which can lead to the belt running tighter than the horizontal. So you might want to check the tension; a lot of people advise having a lower tension on the vertical belt to take this into account. The usual guidance, if you're using the Allen key method to check the tension, is to use a 5mm for the front belt and 6mm for the rear.

Having said that, the Ducati workshop manual (for the Evo) shows the same tension on both cylinders.
It's a 695 not a 696 (Older block) and currently with the allen key method I've found the rear and front to fit the 5mm key with the same ease (cold engine)

I guess that tells me that the rear is a bit on the tight side. I'll sort the tension and report if it is ok. It is deffo not bearings since ive opened both covers and the bearings on both cyls are rotating good.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
garry

just going back to this, as still not quite happy, the bearings are only supplied as a complete unit, 80 sovs from rapido, has anyone actually just replaced the bearing itself, only so i know what to get before it gets stripped down.

cheers in advance.