UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #541
Darkness

Bike: M900
Hi Nasher.

My match for ‘93 & ‘94 frame paint was this:

Mercedes Sanidinbeige - Lechler DB1798 - MA4052M

I don’t know if that reference can be converted to something they can use?
Old 26-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #542
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Check out this one Albie: I think it’s off my old ‘94?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mo...EAAOSweNVesFAD
Hi mate just got one off PD along with the cranking handle as PD described the long breather hose.
I am more concerned with just crack free parts. Those inner guards all look the same but they have different cut out lengths on the sides.

My rear number plate / mudguard has that web but manufactured 1993. I ok with that. Must have been a reason to add the web. As in the very first number plate lights had scews outwards.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #543
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
My contact has confirmed a 50Kg MOQ on colour matched metalics.

I've sent him a couple of images of bits of my M900 frame and he'll let me know ASAP what the likely cost of colour matching and cost/Kg would be.

Nasher
Yes but yours is different to ours. Mind you yours has or had a acid scar on left frame side back in 2003. I got a reasonable colour match to that off the shelf.

I may try and get paint this week or next as still Furloughed. I have been building up a Yamaha 80 bike for my grandkids into a TY80. Loving doing it. Sadly though I sold my Popsi fizzy for a good cause.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #544
Nasher

Albie

Hi

The images of my frame are for a quick idea of costs involved only.

An actual piece of frame would be required to do the match, or something painted with the colour mentioned by Darkness.

When he lets me know what the cost could be I'll let you know, and if you want to stump up I'll happily arrange it, but will need a frame or something to send to them.

Nasher.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #545
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It would be something if you could find somewhere that could powder coat close to the original colour that wouldn't come out dog **** brown!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #546
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I built a TY175 as a kid that cost £50 at the time, in bits, just put it all together and ran it, gearbox was a little close for the kind of riding I did, and it was a little rough cosmetically, but it was ok. How much are they worth now?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #547
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I built a TY175 as a kid that cost £50 at the time, in bits, just put it all together and ran it, gearbox was a little close for the kind of riding I did, and it was a little rough cosmetically, but it was ok. How much are they worth now?
2k. Actually I fancy one myself. Doing this for the kids. Not buying anymore bikes for me now.
Old 26-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #548
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
2k. Actually I fancy one myself. Doing this for the kids. Not buying anymore bikes for me now.
Me neither, until the next one!
Old 26-05-2020, 09:37 PM   #549
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Me neither, until the next one!
I said that then I went and bought another frame and tank as I have almost bought 2 bikes making a hybrid. Just another engine needed if you know of a 80cc Yamaha or rd50 or dt50 one.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:05 PM   #550
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

A long time has passed and a sad thing noted previously is Darkness post. Things are starting to happen now as Alec is helping me mentally and generously giving me help and anything I need at cost to get the build going again. Carbs are stripped and been ultrasonic cleaned and just waiting for gaskets. New screws on them too. I have a price for stripping the frame back locally and that's going in next week then being painted locally too.
Regards the engine we have spoken to Luke at Moto Rapido and we have come to the conclusion the gifted pistons from the 900ie is not a good idea. Part nos different but physically different in skirt and valve cut out. Now the rings may still be possible but as Ducati ones at cost are 186 a set for one piston is way too steep. Before we go there engine is going down to our workshop to take head off as could just be the oil ring as they are somewhat the most to get broken. Alec will be watching me over my shoulder giving me advice as he believes I can sort this and do belts now. I understand now the myth and it's not so scary if you follow simple rules of checking and double checking.
It's way too long now since this started and sadly failed. It's now 7 years in May I got it and 4 years since it's only real journey to the weekender. That's just 375 miles . Next year is 30th anniversary of the Monster and something inside me relates to Darkness with my bike and it's sad to be still in bags etc so it's going to be a good push this year.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:53 AM   #551
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
All power to you, Albie!

I'm sure this refresh will be just as keenly followed on here as the original restoration was (I can see this thread reaching 200,000 views!)

Perhaps, if Practical Sportsbikes does a Monster 30th anniversary special, we'll see you in print again.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:01 AM   #552
Nasher

Keep at it Albie
Old 10-02-2022, 09:55 AM   #553
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Now the rings may still be possible but as Ducati ones at cost are 186 a set for one piston is way too steep.
I had problems with piston rings on my M900, not Ducati but rather JE pistons and had to get the cylinders replated twice due to Nikasil bore wear.

In the end I got new CP (Carrillo) rings from Performance unlimited; http://www.performanceunlimited.co.u.../piston-rings/ all they needed was the measurements and they were able to supply a set of rings that fit perfectly and at much less cost than Ducati's prices. I don't remember the actual cost but I think it was in the region of £50 - £60 for both pistons.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #554
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I had problems with piston rings on my M900, not Ducati but rather JE pistons and had to get the cylinders replated twice due to Nikasil bore wear.

In the end I got new CP (Carrillo) rings from Performance unlimited; http://www.performanceunlimited.co.u.../piston-rings/ all they needed was the measurements and they were able to supply a set of rings that fit perfectly and at much less cost than Ducati's prices. I don't remember the actual cost but I think it was in the region of £50 - £60 for both pistons.
Thanks.

Ok so no requirement to voluntary work today or tomorrow but my carbs can be rebuilt as new gaskets are in. So tomorrow I'm running the engine down to the workshop where at some point very soon we inspect it for the wear on mainly the rear but I'm thinking just check front too.
I'm going to try do most of the work with Alec guiding me and I know now how to do belts so nothing I'm scared of trying now.
Also I will be ordering more frame paint this or next week but iI will keep you updated.
Old 22-02-2022, 08:40 PM   #555
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

So today saw the start of engine strip down with Alec overseeing my work. I'm trying to work as he does being methodical in the right way. Initially we that's most of ukmoc too that the rear was oiling. Heres the thing though as I removed the spark plugs so compression would be less whilst turning to remove belts I had a surprise on the front plug. It was completely carbonated to the point of a crust and no vision through the side view. The rear technically looked ok.
So removed horizontal cylinder and on the lower part it had some black residue and on the head too but wiped off.
We could not see any obvious failings which is frustrating and because I have a full Ducati gasket top end build gasket set I removed the vertical rear cylinder. Now again it was not apparent with faults but was oily as suspected.
Alec wont allow me to presume without checking everything including valve stem seals that were replaced last time of course and having less than 400 miles use I need to be astute. He told me they are not great the stem seals they sell so I think I recall someone on here sourcing better.
I happy to right now fit brand new piston and ring sets but that's £300 or more butI dont yet have that sort of money and I'm not going to gamble this time .
Bores are fine btw.
Learning a lot too and carbs are all back together all clean inside and out with fresh gaskets and o rings.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: