UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Yet Another M900 Build

Old 21-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #46
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It was a marketing ploy. The small valve 750 head was fitted to the standard Monster for a while in order to make the 900 'S' version with the standard 900SS head more attractive (more powerful).

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #47
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
As far as head studs go 'black'- good and silver = 'not good' Mind you if I was going to strip the heads off I would probably change them for the latest ones anyway as it's a pain if one lets go.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #48
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It was a marketing ploy. The small valve 750 head was fitted to the standard Monster for a while in order to make the 900 'S' version with the standard 900SS head more attractive (more powerful).
No, Im still not clear. When was the change? According to Ian Falloon's Book and that post by Kato all that was before 93...what am I misunderstanding?
Old 21-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #49
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPuxley View Post
No, Im still not clear. When was the change? According to Ian Falloon's Book and that post by Kato all that was before 93...what am I misunderstanding?
The first divergence from the 900 Supersport motor came for the 1997 model year and continued up to and including the 1999 model year.

The full power version gave 80hp at the crank while the small valve head was 77hp.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #50
Darkness

Quote:
You should be OK with an early ‘95 model year, assuming it’s still how it was built at the factory.

‘The best engine came in all 91 to 97 900 SS and SL bikes. These engines were also used in 900 Monster up to engine number 037727 ( late 1996 build ) and the 98/99 900 Monster Special.’

http://www.bikeboy.org/900equal.html

The V2 (Hopefully) or W casting marks are very clear on each cylinder head, on the near side, just forward of the spark plugs.

You’ve also asked about rebores and replating: do you know of engine woes, or are you just reading up in case?
Old 21-04-2021, 04:06 PM   #51
enbee23

Bike: S4r
My understanding was that a '95 bike had the V heads but I never actually checked on this bike.

The Sil Motor carbon cans currently on it aren't mint but aren't bad either. The bike courier who picked the bike up today said it was the best sounding of the three Ducatis in his van on this trip: an S4R, some 21-plate red missile and the old M900.
enbee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #52
PPuxley

Yes, thats my reading of it, with a late manufacture 94 its the SS big valve head, according to the Bible it wasnt till 97 That ..."for the first time since its inception did the motor differ from the SS 900.....the valves sizes were reduced to those of the 750...41mm inlet, 35mm Exhaust"
Just reading up on rebores, Hopefully thats all I will be doing
Old 21-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #53
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbee23 View Post
The bike courier who picked the bike up today said it was the best sounding of the three Ducatis in his van on this trip: an S4R, some 21-plate red missile and the old M900.
Luvely Jubbly!
Old 21-04-2021, 04:13 PM   #54
PPuxley

Ive got Paul at Reditch shotblasting sending me his various "Gold" Ducati swatches, both Gloss and Matt, so will be able to see how they compare to the bike.
I followed the discussion on Buzzers build thread and its so difficult to tell from photos, but my impression is that they look too Gold...granted Buzzers was a gloss.
Old 21-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #55
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Ive got Paul at Reditch shotblasting sending me his various "Gold" Ducati swatches, both Gloss and Matt, so will be able to see how they compare to the bike.
I followed the discussion on Buzzers build thread and its so difficult to tell from photos, but my impression is that they look too Gold...granted Buzzers was a gloss.
Be very careful. My first colour was advised it was spot on not by Redditch specific but they are class powdercoaters for sure. There is an image on Buzzers thread of mine and very brown although its satin but also looked green in some lights. Personally not recommending you go that route as you say your trying to get it spot on. I spent hours in a paint shop matching a piece of frame to get it spot on. But the scenario was that the powdercoat ruined the finish underneath. I learnt my lesson there dont wish you to have to .
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #56
PPuxley

Well, it arrived this morning. Big Jim was with me at 0740 having driven overnight from Glasgie. And still with a trip to Wales , then back to Dartford still to go!!!!
I like to do a really detailed high res video before I start anything- I find photos always miss that critical view when you need to look something up.
Full Video Survey
Short Video
Full album here
Got it on the bench, charged the battery a bit and ungummed the rear schrader valve to get some air in the back tyre. And she fired up straight away with a little choke, and was soon idling unaided.
I dont know what these V-twins are meant to sound like , but at least both cylinders were making the same sound at the head! So theyre equally good or bad!!
I even found the tool pouch under the seat- What tools are missing?
I know about the tank prop, but the stay has a broken end piece, hence the piece of plastic conduit.
Any comments gratefully received.

Old 24-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #57
PPuxley

Been on the bench today for a once over. New fluid in the rear brake to replace the treacle that was there, That entailed removing the caliper and giving it a bit of heat to remove the bleed valve. The carrier is going to need some timeserts because the threads are a bit ropey. Some air in the back after an unblock of the schrader valve and that was about it. Followed by a sneaky spin up the lane.
The headlight had a bit of a haze to t, but I was able to remove that with baking soda water and then vinegar.

So I reckon its ready for an MOT on Monday and a couple of hundred miles before I start the strip down.

The cosmetic parts list is building
Exhausts
Indicators
Choke Housing
Seat cover
Front mudguard
Bars
Mirrors.
The number plate holder has been chopped a bit, Im not sure by how much, the available replacement part is different so I cant quite tell what it should have been.
The paintwork doesnt look bad in the photos , so initial thoughts were it would be nice to maintain the original patina, but on inspection, there are too many dings and it looks like its been partially resprayed on the front right quarter, so it will be all new, I think
Theres some good original stuff on it, it still has the Cagiva logo'd pedal rubbers, and lots ofthe original cable retainers, for example
Now Ive seen the colour of the frame and wheels, Im struggling to call it gold and corelate to what Ive seen in various builds and blogs. I would describe it as very nearly grey with just the slightest hint of Bronze .

Old 24-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #58
Darkness

Looking good. There are a few things to check and improve appearance wise, but as I said- looking good.
I have a spare new unused rear mudguard/numberplate holder. PM me if interested.
Take a look at your wheel spokes on front and back wheels. Expect to find a Cagiva Elefant on one spoke on each, together with date lettering. Probably about 10/95 based on build date.
Where is the choke control on yours, they went from nearside of frame to centre of top yoke nut to a handlebar slider?
The saddle is the right shape for ‘96 as it has the pointy front corners rather than the later curves.
What’s up with the front mudguard? The rear extension is just a diy mod to keep the engine cleaner, but what are the extra brackets at the fork legs? The earliest mudguards were inclined to crack at the mounts, especially if crushed by overtightening. Later ones had beefier flared plastic at the fixings, then later on (200ish) they increased the fixing centres to make stronger still. Mudguards also have a date stamp on the underside. A two digit year reference in a circle, with a ring of dots around, increasing from 1 dot for January to 12 for December.

I’m looking forward to seeing it sometime.

Last edited by Darkness; 24-04-2021 at 04:32 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #59
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
So I reckon its ready for an MOT on Monday and a couple of hundred miles before I start the strip down.
I wouldn't be quite so hasty myself!
Do you know how old the timing belts are?
I would at least slip the covers off and check that they are correctly tensioned and still nice and supple with no signs of any cracking or fraying.
Service life of those is reckoned to be 2 years regardless of mileage, although this period has been extended on new Ducatis and is 3 years for Exactfit belts.
The worst treatment for the belts is to stand the bike up for ages then start it!
Old 24-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #60
PPuxley

Back wheel has 07/94 and the Elefant, which works for the Nov 94 manufacture date. (it was over a year till it was registered in Jan 96), Front wheel doesnt as it is 05/99, so thats not the original wheel, which is a shame. But both have the Brembo stamp. Choke is on the top yoke directly behind the bars.