UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Web Page & Forum :. » Help and Site FAQ's » Important: Please Read!

Old 21-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Important: Please Read!

Hi folks

Please take a few minutes to read the following:

This is not an easy message for me to post, for those who aren't aware I had a serious accident in May 2019, breaking multiple vertebrae and ribs, puncturing a lung as well as tearing two ligaments in one of my knees and breaking an ankle. What doctors like to call 'life changing injuries'.

I have been working fairly relentlessly to recover my fitness and movement over the last three years, however it's becoming increasingly clear I am unable to continue riding sports bikes and I'm still trying to work out if I'll be able to ride any of my beloved Monsters again. (Please don't start throwing suggestions about bike modification at me, I'm an engineer and mechanic, just accept I know what I'm talking about here and I might scream if anyone else says ‘thumb brake’ without understanding my injuries fully.

I feel I should have stepped down a couple of years ago but have hung on through the worst of the CoViD pandemic, as this was clearly a very difficult time for anyone to take over running a bike club during multiple lockdowns.

After discussion with Pedro(VP) and Liz(Sec.) it's time for us to step down and for the club membership to elect a new board to take over.

I took over Presidency from Pedro in 2010, who'd been in the role for three years and he has been VP since. Liz has been in post since 2018, so it's about time some new blood took over anyway.

Just to complicate matters a little more, Ducati are changing the name of affiliated clubs next year, from 'Desmo Owners Clubs' to 'Ducati Official Clubs'. All clubs will be called DOC|'Club Name', which can't contain the word 'Ducati' or 'Owner', as such we would have to change the name to something like 'DOC|UK Monster' in order to remain eligible for affiliation with the factory. This is something else the membership needs to decide on collectively: Continue as 'UK Monster Owners Club' and split with Ducati or change the name to something DMH finds acceptable. I'm certainly not about to comply with this and then just walk away leaving someone else to sort things out (Mr Cameron).

I sold banner advertising to finance the forum hosting for 2022. As an officially affiliated club we need to elect a President, Vice President and Secretary.

Since we don't charge membership fees, we don't require a Treasurer, if that changes we'd need one of those too.

The current board will continue 'til the end of July, ensuring that I can help anyone with issues relating to WDW22 (22-24/7/2022) and distributing any membership kits, assuming the factory manage to send them out in a timely fashion, unless we can complete this process sooner.

I'd also like to offer massive thanks to everyone who has helped as a board member, regional rep, event organiser or otherwise contributed to the forum since I've been here, you've made this one of the nicest corners of the Internet and I've made some great friends, attended some absolutely awesome events, all over Europe and covered well over 100k miles on my Monsters in the last 19 years. I hope I manage to find a way to continue Monstering!

Just to complete the picture, we have always defined a member as a forum user who owns a Monster and lives in the UK or Ireland (or an expat).
Ducati define a member as one of our members who has chosen to be affiliated with the club through MyDucati app or website (but bizzarely isn't bothered if you even ride a motorcycle). The club needs at least 50 such registered members to qualify for affiliation and a supporting dealer, in our case Moto Rapido.

cont...
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
slob

The current DOC regulations define:

President

The D.O.C. President is responsible for the club, is its legal representative, promotes all activities in compliance with these Regulations, guarantees the democratic management of club affairs, is the key contact with Ducati and the Local D.O.C. contact person designated by Ducati.

Vice President

The Vice President is responsible for D.O.C. activities in the territory. He manages D.O.C. initiatives inspired by the suggestions provided in paragraph 3.8. of these Regulations; prepares the calendar of events at the beginning of each year; organizes activities, informs members of such activities and documents activities (photos, video, texts) to share them with Ducati and the other clubs. He co-operates with Ducati to offer an evaluation of events with a nation-wide audience and helps select partners to be involved in such activities. Finally, he is an ambassador at the club's members regarding issues relates to safe riding and observance of applicable law and responsible behaviour among D.O.C. members.

Secretary

The Secretary to the D.O.C. fulfils formalities relating to club activity, such as the management of the members' details and the data entry in the system. He organizes the meetings of the Board of Management and of club members and writes meeting reports where required. He ensures that members fill any insurance documents/liability waivers for test rides and/or track days. He sets up, maintains and keep up-to-date the D.O.C. document archive.

Treasurer

The Treasurer of the D.O.C. takes care of accounting/administration, prepares yearly budgets and year-end reports; collects membership fees (if any) from members, allocates resources to activities as agreed with the other members of the Board of Management and with the President; manages cash flows from activities and draws up at least annual financial reports for submission to the Board of Management and members; keeps track of revenues and expenses arising out of D.O.C. fulfilments with due care and promptly informs the competent body of any deviations from budget plans. Considering the delicate nature of Treasurers' responsibilities, Ducati encourages clubs to establish a maximum two-year non-renewable term for this office.

I will forward the full regs to anyone who wants to stand up or who just can't sleep.

Rob
--
Old 21-05-2022, 07:23 PM   #3
slob

Feel free to PM or email me (rob <at> ukmonster <dot> co <dot> uk) if you want to discuss less publicly but I aim to make this process as open and democratic as possible!
Old 21-05-2022, 11:27 PM   #4
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Rob, I understand. Better you use your energy on you. You have done 77 times more than enough. Thanks!

I've been president for 8 years now. In Norway. Established 1989. Proper website, paid membership, rides, track days. The whole package. Except we drew the line at DOC which we find unprofessional and one-sided. It's made to get them email adresses and leave all the work to presidents. For a pin and two euros off the museum price... They have never done a good job for the clubs. We've told them to forget about demanding specific behaviour from clubs, but leave us to manage the clubs - members sign up for DOC status at Ducati.com, choose a connected club if they so wish and then pay for a welcome kit if they want it. Ducati must do the work and pay the price if they want the email adresses. Not us. If I'm not mistaken, the DOC work isn't rewarding for presidents, so maybe that's a better way for UKMOC too... drop the DOC stuff and focus on yourselves. My point, among many, being that recruiting a new board can be easier without the being DOC.

.... and of course anyone mentioning facebook will not make it through the night. Not suitable as a club base.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 01:20 AM   #5
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Rob, I totally understand your decision to step down and also how difficult it must have been for you to take this step. I wish you well for your continued rehab and recovery and hope you manage to stay positive and get to the best result possible.

I’d also like to offer huge thanks to you (and rest of the board) for all your work running the club and keeping it the friendly, helpful place it is over very many years. Sadly I’ve not got over for UKMOC events to see folks in person for some years now, being mostly abroad these days. But I’m sure I’m not alone in finding the forum an oasis of calm on the internet - it’s helpful, caring and inspiring on bikes and life in general. And the knowledge base here is just immense, I’ve lost count of the tips (and parts) I’ve picked up here over the years.

Thanks again and take care,

David
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Rob, I'd like to pass on my thanks for the work you Pedro and Liz have done for the forum, I've not been a Ducati owner for long but I have enjoyed being a member here (so far). I wish you all the best for the future. I hope it continues in the same vein with or without the DOC.
Old 22-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
It will be a sad day but very understandable. Thanks for doing a grand job all of you tbh. I fully support whoever steps up to the table. New blood will run through the club for sure.

Thank you
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Sorry for my late input into this. It has come as no surprise to me and I’m pleased for Rob that he has finally come to this decision.

I am however surprised to actually hear the full extent of his injuries and have to admire his down playing this over the three awful years. I know it’s been bloody hard and I get the impression that all the “get well soons” have worn a bit thin, even though of course we all want to extend sympathies and best wishes… My apologies for mentioning a thumb brake some time ago!.

As to the future of the club; I think the most important thing is this forum in more or less its present quaint form. Granted it could be easier to post pictures, although that’s not really a big deal. I do understand there are some deeper operating issues behind the curtains, which it would be really good to resolve without changing the forum superficially.

To this end I believe that part of the new management definitely needs to be a committed and competent IT person or persons, who can look after the forum.

Probably the most contentious issue is the required name change to comply with DOC.
I personally do not want to see the name changed. I like the name and I like the logo.

Neither do I see the point of staying with DOC, especially in the light of their dictations.
I only signed up with DOC to get a free T-shirt and I have no other interest beyond that. The advantages for us members is limited to some cheap freebies once a year which are out of date by the time they arrive and as mentioned by others, a few dollars off certain items and events offered by Ducati. There is always the option of joining a DOC club to gain these discounts if it means anything to you. I say leave DOC.

Maybe it would be possible to have a referendum on that issue alone. (I believe there is a poll facility on the forum?)

My concern with leaving DOC would be the funding for the forum, I’m not sure how that is done and whether or not leaving DOC would impact that. I don’t think we want a subscription? Although I probably wouldn’t object personally. As Rob mentions this would imply the need for a treasurer.

I’ve been the Norfolk rep for about 8 years I think and have been involved with a number of club events on a national scale. I love this club and my Monster. It would be great to be involved in running the club in some way, but in my case definitely as part of a team of enthusiasts not just the DOC designated officers, but all who would pitch in and help, maybe even with occasional physical committee meetings? Although we can do that online these days.
I’m not getting involved if DOC is… Just sayin’..

One little thing; Haven’t Grumpy and JP been VP in the time since 2010?

Here’s hoping for some meaningful discussion about this
Old 22-05-2022, 05:12 PM   #9
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Hi Rob

Sorry to hear your recovery has not been straightforward.

Massive thanks to all you have done over the years for UKMOC (and Liz and Pedro).

For what it's worth, I think UKMOC should continue as UKMOC and ditch affiliation with Ducati as an official DOC. I don't think the benefits of affiliation are worth the ball-ache of dealing with Bologna (even speaking as one of the minority of members who has benefitted from discounted WDW tickets on 4 occasions and several Ducati factory/museum visits).

Over the years the emphasis from Ducati has been less on DOCs being factory supported clubs, more on factory directed/dictated clubs. It was bad enough having to change the font of the O in the UKMOC logo to comply with Bologna's rules, but to me having to change the club's name is a step too far.

The real value in UKMOC is the internet forum, with the collected experience and expertise of the members, particularly about Monster matters - brains to pick about technical issues, aftermarket parts & modifications. That, and the friendship and social events e.g. Weekenders. We need to find a way of keeping this aspect of UKMOC going (not involving Facebook).

If it's a question of the cost of keeping the forum hosted, other forums offer an opportunity to donate towards running costs (rather than having official "membership" with the need for a committee, treasurer etc). Could something like Patreon, Ko-fi etc be used if disaffiliation makes it harder to cover costs through banner advertising?.

I realise I have been a rubbish member the last couple of years (retreating into my own little off-internet world, since the bike forums reminded me too much of what I was missing during lockdown). I can see that while some of the long standing members are still stalwarts, there are newer Monsteristi who have risen to the challenge (Moco1961 taking on organising Weekenders in an exceptionally difficult period), which is fantastic to see.

Right now, I can't see myself ever owning another bike apart from my 696s, and I really hope that UKMOC as I know and love it will continue, but not as a DOC given the direction of travel.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 05:52 PM   #10
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Slob, Pedro & Liz, thanks for all the many hours you have spent providing us with our UKMOC. You've done a great job!
Old 22-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #11
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I'm sure I'm just expressing the feelings of all the members when I say how much your efforts (and those of Pedro and Liz) are appreciated. As you've already mentioned, this club is "one of the nicest corners of the internet..." (if proof were needed - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59601).

There's a real generosity of spirit here, which is lacking in most other forums, and I'd say a lot of that can be put down to your stewardship. Whoever takes over your position will have some very large Alpinestars to fill!

As Mr Gazza said, I think another attraction of the club is it's 'quaintness' and I'd be keen to keep that.

As to factory affiliation, I'm not particularly fussed either way but, if a name change is needed, why not keep the UKMOC initials and just change the 'O' from 'Owners' to, say, 'Obsessives'?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 06:49 PM   #12
Cousin it

I can understand the decision you have made and as others have already said I am hugely appreciative of the efforts you have all made to make this the great place that it is.
good forums are more of a rarity in recient years as so many have moved to be Facebook based and lost all character.
I will follow and support whoever steps up to the mark.
Old 22-05-2022, 06:57 PM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
UKMOC

That's the name, end of.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #14
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Donations works. At least in a place like this with plenty club feeling. No treasurer required if DOC is out - just a trusted leader.

The big step is to host pictures. It's not very expensive, but becomes expensive after a few years. Can be solved by downsizing or even deleting old pictures. Or: "Reach a limit, donate a pound"

Risky business, but it lifts forums a lot.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #15
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Also like to pass on my thanks to Rob and the rest of the board, the UKMOC is a great club to be part of and this is due to the efforts of the team.

I would like to see the club remain independent and forum based as opposed to a homogenised/sanitised version that Audi/Ducati approve of.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: