UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » silly question me thinks....

Old 27-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Rjtberlin

silly question me thinks....

but hey, as I am new, I will ask it anyway!!!

Am considering buying the new 796 monster - have had monsters before (briefly) - a lovely 600 that unfortunately somebody set fire too, and then a 620, but only for a short period of time but this time I want to do it right....

I love the look and am sure the motor in this is awesome, but I question something else....

I dont get to ride tooooo often, but when i do, like this year, I had a 2 week holiday in scotland on the bike - 3500 miles.... I used my ktm adventure for this, but now she has gone, and I want something else - could the monster cope with any kind of touring, and I dont mean a rucksack for a 200 mile day out.....

I think I know the answer.....

Apart from this holiday - my miles are basically local ones for fun.......

Would luggage mess up the chassis and handling of the bike too??

Any opinions

Cheers
Old 27-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Not quite the same as a new Monster but I've just returned from 2 weeks in Europe on a 2003 M1000Sie.
2 up with 30 litre tank bag and a pillion with 25 litre rucksack. Yes it alters the handling a bit but it didn't stop us crossing the Alps twice and covering 3000 miles, mainly on backroads.
Managed to slip in a 20 minute session on a racetrack too (without the luggage and pillion of course)
I mainly use the back for weekend bimbles in the countryside plus my daily 10 mile commute, the clutch is a bit heavy in the city but the 796 should be way better on this and a bit nimbler in the handling department too.

Last edited by slob; 28-06-2010 at 06:38 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
I used to ride with a pillion, heavier than me and I was never bothered! 25 years later, I'm happier with a tail pack than a tank bag because I can imagine the tank bag affecting the handling.
Old 28-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Mr Free Market

No reason why you can't tour on a Monster. Just strap on some half decent luggage

in my case, a Ducati Performance tank bag & Buffalo tail bag

& go

Last edited by Mr Free Market; 28-06-2010 at 06:25 AM..
Old 28-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Did someone mention luggage capacity?

http://www.wabblemonkeysocks.com/mis...sunshineGT.jpg

Skank still owes me a few beers

Last edited by gary tompkins; 28-06-2010 at 08:41 AM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
You could well look into a Ventura Pack system, I'm sure they do then for the new Monsta.
Solid, secure, plenty of capacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike Chamonix.jpg (31.8 KB, 37 views)

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Rjtberlin

Thanks for all the advice - what about comfort?? Okay for those 300 mile max days?? My other alternative, staying Italian, is the Granpasso from Morini - I know it aint the same as a monster, but would no doubt cope with touring better and has plenty of thump.....
Old 28-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
300 mile days in the Uk would be hard work. Mileage isn't a true measure of a bikes capability or comfort, more the number of hours spent in the saddle. I've discovered six hours riding time is about my realistic limit. We managed several 300+ mile days in Europe a few weeks ago, but that's mainly due to less traffic. Gel seat helps and I've got forward pegs on trike for m-ways, because I get bad cramp on standard pegs.
Old 28-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
As J.P. says Ventura stuff's the way to go.

Just drop the bag over the hoop thing, click two straps and you're away.

Yes, I do like to take the kitchen sink away with me, well a load of tools and spares at least.

I've done 500+ mile days on my monster without problems but then I've done them on sportsbikes, I think a lot of that is down to the rider.

as for the Morini, nice bike but the chances of finding a dealer if you have problems?

Last edited by crust; 28-06-2010 at 07:37 PM..
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Rjtberlin

Here what you say about the morini and dealer support etc - might be a valid point

Spoke to my ducaTi and morini dealer and he said that the granpasso is cheaper to run and service etc than the new 796 monster - guess due to the belts right?

And he also said i would be disappointed with the performance and torque ater coming from the ktm 990 adventure

He would of course sell me both and the price for the models he has is almost the same, but he reckons i would be better suited to the granpasson

Tough one, as i love the look of the monster
Old 28-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
You could well look into a Ventura Pack system, I'm sure they do then for the new Monsta.
Solid, secure, plenty of capacity.
Yes they do them. Ryan has some for his 696.

I travelled 2 up and some luggage on the tank to belgium and not a problem at all on the 1100. Dont get a magnetic bag though as they plastic tank panels. Best getting the ducati performance one really and they look decent too
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Rjtberlin

Does that ventura pack negatively affect handling, or buffetting or anything similiar??