UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » All the different models ... what are they all like?

Old 01-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Novice

All the different models ... what are they all like?

Hi there!

The photo of the M900 being wheelied on the cover of a 1992 Bike Magazine was what got me off my armchair to get a bike license. It's a bike I always wanted.

However when it was time to buy a bike, I went for my other dream bike. The "oh no .. I have dopped the fecking thing again" BMW GS. (Just to note .. I got one of these BEFORE LWR).

Now that I have done a few trips abroad, I am looking for something to pose down the Kings Road

I see there are quite a few for sale in the FS section. I just wanted to ask what the riding experience is between the models. I was planning to go for a simple M6xx but was told that having owned a 1200, it would be too underpowered.

So what are these ones like? Especially riding around town
S4
S4R
S2R 800
S2R 1000
other suggestions?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Chappers

The S2R (803) is the nicest Monnie I've ever ridden/owned but my new M750 is also lovely other than the clutch lever is harder and she doesn't run as smooth.

I found my M600 was too sluggish and underpowered hence I then purchased the S2R.

I hear the M620 and M750 are pretty good if you're looking to spend less, if not I'd defo get the S2R
Old 01-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
fatbloke

IMO the S2r800 is far and away the best all round Monster Ducati have ever made.
Using the S4, S2R1000 S4R round town is just hard work.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
sadbiker

Have no issues riding S2R1000 round town.

Has a better equipment level than the S2R800 and looks prettier than the S4R series which have all the plumbing on display.

But if you want to show off then it would have to be the S4Rs........
Old 01-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
giler

900, quick enough, grunty enough and the original - but I am biased.
Would like an SR1000 if I could afford it.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
scrumpster

I have an M600 and an S2R (expect my son to be along at some point correcting me!!) I much prefer the S2R for a few reasons:

It's fuel injected

The 800 engine has more grunt

It's clutch is so light

It's great around town (I commute on it)

It's fun on long journey's

It's a good all rounder whereas my M600 was very temperamental

At the end of the day though everyone loves their bike for their own reasons
Old 01-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
damon

I can only stick my two penneth worth in on the S2R 800 im afraid but what a bike!

I always dreamed of owning a Ducati and after riding various versions of Yamaha RD's when i was a kid then not riding again until late last year (10 years) i came straight back into it and got myself a lovely red n white striped s2r800.

Standard they are great, rides great, looks great,,,,,and sounds...OK.

But in the short time ive owned it ive now sorted the exhausts, fitted a power commander, fitted a K&N with the airbox top chopped off, raised the ride height slightly and added a few pretty parts here and there and now she's not 'great' anymore..........she's F##king AMAZING!

Totally different bike since the mods and gets better and better each time i go out. Oh and the sound....... well, say good bye to your friendship with the neighbours

Next its a full dyno run to tweak the remaining 20% optimization out of the engine and im sure ill be even happier then.

easy clutch, smooth power delivery, looks the nuts,,,,,, i love it!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
katana

Ride them see what you think.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
S4R..air cooled ones are for girls - lol !!!
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoy View Post
S4R..air cooled ones are for girls - lol !!!
Air cooled are the best.

I await the 1100 monster and you to eat your words.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
It'll still be gay - aint proper unless its got a cortina rad as fatbloke will tell you.
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If the 900 was your dream bike, why not own the dream?? £2K buys a good one, the only "proper" monster, lumpy sulky and savage, just pure joy to own. I find the injected ones too smooth and characterless, and also too slow plumbed models, not for me thanks!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
banditloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice View Post
Hi there!

The photo of the M900 being wheelied on the cover of a 1992 Bike Magazine was what got me off my armchair to get a bike license. It's a bike I always wanted.
Same here, and yes I now own a 1993 900 Monster I may even still have the magazine at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice View Post
Now that I have done a few trips abroad, I am looking for something to pose down the Kings Road
Have to say, mine is usually seen 'hooning' down the Kings Road, usually trying to find a gear

As said in an earlier reply, why not get a 900 Monster. A lot of bike for the money, and you can find some decent examples out there, that are not much cash Just make sure the history of the bike is spot on

Last edited by banditloon; 01-06-2007 at 02:26 PM..
Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
Novice

Thanks for the replies. I think it will be a good idea to go for some test rides.
Not sure if I am going to find a M900 to test.

The smoother engine and lighter clutch sounds great but at a price!

I am going to plan some test rides and see how I get on. Hopefully the reality of the bike will match the dream
Old 01-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
S4 MAD

got s4 and 600 , 600 is ok but as others have poinetd out a little slow , but s4 love it more than enougth welly in it for me.