UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Racing » Marco Simoncelli

Old 23-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #31
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Like many people I was stunned to hear this..shocking seeing his lid come off. Rip simmo.
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #32
simon_g

Bike: M695
Very sad. 24 is a tragically young age to die - he had a great career ahead of him.
simon_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #33
He11cat

Someone was saying to me how disgusting it was that Rossi carried on riding .... WFT?
1. he was probably just following what they are told to do. 2. the poor guy was in shock 3. you need space for the medics to get in. How many accidents do you see where people crowd round...
I was really shocked to hear that...

We all react in different ways and I guess he was told to carry on and come in as I am sure anyone else would have done.
Old 23-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #34
Mr.Number

Bike: S2r 1000

hellcat, that someone clearly hasnt got a clue bless em. rossi's not a medic is he, none of the riders are, theres other people at the track employed for that.

regarding the crash, take a look at the footage clips on youtube, to me, it looks like rossi begins to react earlier than edwards to marcos bike drifting across the track. I say this as rossi can be seen trying to lean his bike in further as if he knew what was coming. It may however just be my perception and edwards has seen marco but there wasnt much he could do as he was still leant in. I actually think rossi did anticipate what was coming and it was one of those moments where you just have to 'wait for it' i still dont know how he managed to stay on the bike as the rear wheel was up in the air at one point.

I havnt managed to see any footage yet to understand why marco was drifting at such an odd angle, given he had completed the major section of the bend in question.

his poor family.....just a horrible horrible day.

Last edited by Mr.Number; 23-10-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Mr.Number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #35
He11cat

I know .... I can't even imagine what went through those riders head I really feel for them.
I am sure if either rider could have avoided him they would have..
Its just terrible.
Sky managed to report it in their usual tasteful manor.
Old 24-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #36
Mr Cake

Mr Number - Marco lost the front end earlier on in the turn whilst battling with Bautista. He was trying to save it on his knee, elbow, and just about everything else he could use to keep the bike upright. But he and the bike carried on the arc of the turn and strayed into the path of Edwards and Rossi.

C
Old 24-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #37
Small Clanger

Marco Simoncelli reminded me a lot of DJ. The fact that he was a big guy but also his riding style and his attitude in the races.

This is from DJs biography; "I enjoy the TT and I'm willing to accept the consequences that could happen to me. I'm not going there with a false sense of security-I know what could happen and I'm willing to accept it"

We get used to seeing riders walk away from high speed low-sides and lurid high-sides and that makes it doubly shocking when an unlucky rider gets caught in a bad one like yesterday's.

Very sad. My heart goes out to Colin Edwards, hope he makes the grid next time out.
Old 24-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #38
Mr Cake

I still miss DJ. We hadn't seen the best of him. The accident reminded me of Craig Jones' at Brands in that I took no comfort from the news that Marco was conscious

Let us also spare a thought for Rossi in this even though he escaped without injury. From what I've seen, Colin clipped more bike than rider. Edwards won't be riding in Valencia. That's a nasty injury and I have doubts whether we'll see both riders on the grid at all next season...

C

Last edited by Mr Cake; 24-10-2011 at 06:00 AM..
Old 24-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #39
animaluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cake View Post
I still miss DJ. We hadn't seen the best of him. The accident reminded me of Craig Jones' at Brands in that I took no comfort from the news that Marco was conscious

Let us also spare a thought for Rossi in this even though he escaped without injury. From what I've seen, Colin clipped more bike than rider. Edwards won't be riding in Valencia. That's a nasty injury and I have doubts whether we'll see both riders on the grid at all next season...

C
I did wonder if we will see either again I have a hunch that the two of them might call it a day

considering that rossi and edwards where marcos biggest supporters on the grid.
Old 24-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #40
Unit 18

Horrific accident that has taken away one of the few characters in MotoGP. I've seen a rider off the grid, never to return, I just can't explain what a terrible feeling it is, and my thoughts go out to the team members, friends and family.
The only positive thing I can think of is that it was nobody's fault, just one of those awful chains where everything happens at the wrong time, it does occasionally happen.
RIP Marco, you'll be missed.
Old 24-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #41
number24

RIP Marco, you'll be missed by many.
Old 24-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #42
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Such a shame as everyone else has said.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #43
samieb

Yeap, RIP 'Super Sic'. So much potential and promise hasn't yet been demonstrated. You'll be sadly missed by Millions. Thanks for the wonderful memories thus far.
Old 24-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #44
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I missed it cos my tv line was down. Can't bring myself to watch it now.
Stunned and lost for words.
His talent was huge, but more than that his character and spirit were what made him special, and loved by so many.
Even though I only new him from the tv screen, it feels more like I have lost a friend.
So long, Marco. You will be missed by many.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #45
Jungle24

What a loss! I was watching live with my fiance and we both shrieked when we saw it! They didnt show again and I had to rewind to see it again, truly awful and nothing Edwards or Rossi could do. I think you could tell by their reactions it was v bad. I cant imagine why Rossi got stick for not stopping I actually thought he did remarkably well to stay on his bike and not do cartwheels across the turf! I am fiarly new to Moto GP and had been following Simoncelli in the last few races and loved his agressive style, he was also a top personality so such a big loss to the sport.

RIP Simo!