UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Advice please on rebuilding a 2005 Monster

Old 22-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well done Richard and Hamish. That's the best story I've read on here for a long time.

I'm looking forward to a gentle test ride on those tyres, even more so if you manage to get new ones fitted by that time, definitely a good move if you're riding it down to London.

Also looking forward to a meet up at the Memorial, I'm looking at July 5th for that, unless the US servicemen have a service on that day?

That's a bargain Monster, but all the profit is in the experience and the nice folk you meet along the way..

I have now tried to avoid buying new bolts with my current restoration. I bought a bright Nickel plating kit and also steel specific polishing soaps and dedicated mops. If the threads are good and the heads still hexagonal, I polish them up and put the sparkle back on with a layer of bright Nickel. Obviously this also works well on spacers and many other parts that soon add up if replaced with a card. I draw the line at washers, I do buy those and some of the smaller nuts as it's like peeling peas!

You didn't mention the best tip of all if contemplating a re-build or restoration, and that's join a nice owners club. You came up trumps with this one, and I hope you have a long happy association with it.

It's been a pleasure to be involved with your project. Thanks for allowing us to help.

Old 22-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Well done! Another one saved. Any photos of the bike or the build?

I think you were fortunate as the thing I will say with restoring/rebuilding basket case Ducati or other exotic Italian bikes is that it can potentially get very expensive very quickly especially if you have any engine damage or faulty electronics. The cost of some new parts is eye-watering.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Its great to hear of your success.
I am sure that your pleasure is as much about the process as it is about the end result.
I'm equally hopeful (and pretty confident) that the subsequent riding/ownership experience will be just as rewarding.
Congratulations on a job well done and a first pass mot test.
Hopefully our paths will cross at a meet sometime soon and I can see the results of your labours in the metal.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
dacs

Great news, guys . This put a smile on my face this morning, especially the bit about the cardboard screw holder. Looking forward to seeing the end result, it was looking really good the last time I saw it.
Old 25-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Some photos of the project that Richard asked me to post.

Old 26-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Looks like they've done a nice job on that so far. Just needs the wiring sorting and a few other sundry items. The wiring can take a considerable time or a lot longer depending on the state of the loom you've been left by the DPO. I've spent countless hours disconnecting and re-routing stuff on mine, buying the correct frame wiring straps and other stuff to get it back to how it should be only to find in some cases the wiring has been shortened, bodged with tape to mask some evil bodgery or otherwise modified that causes some problems elsewhere. And it can eat into a lot of time, it is worth it however especially with the 4v inj bikes which are a birds nest of wires and other gubbins which benefit from being hidden away. I'm 90% happy with mine now and have decided to move on and do other improvements.

It is worth getting a copy of the official workshop manual in whatever format you can as in mine it usefully shows all that kind of stuff in detail. Whether it can be achieved with what you have is another matter. Good job though. Hope you enjoy both the bike and this forum too.

Old 27-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Thanks for sharing the story, Hamish, it’s been good to read about your journey and fantastic to hear the bike is alive and works as she should. Well done to the forum members that have provided help along the way, it’s what this group is all about!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
Hamish

Hamish has just phoned and is taking his Monster back to London tomorrow. The tickover is still high when warm at 2000 rpm. Our Haynes manual states that you have to get the dealer to do it with a Mathesis test set. All throttle cables and choke cables have free play and are not sticking.

There must be a simple way to get tickover back to 1000 RPM please?

I can easily access the idle mixture screws, but don't want to cock it up.

Any pointers before Saturday 6 pm appreciated.
Old 17-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
Top work.

Taking it to 'that London' - has he got a lockable garage and a selection of padlocks, big chains etc?

Almax are expensive but you won't find a better chain, just need something very solid to lock it to.
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Sounds like the only way to adjust the tickover is via the TPS (throttle position sensor).
This lives on the left hand side of the the throttle bodies, it's a round plastic object with two screws. I'm not sure if it can be manually adjusted with the screws or if it has to be electronically adjusted, hence the mathesis tester.
I have heard that physically adjusting it is incredibly hard and that wouldn't be something I would attempt on my own bike!

So am I going to miss the boat (or bike) with the cover puller?
Old 17-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #11
slob

The TPS affects tickover but there are a couple of other things to check.
Enrichener cable routing can cause an issue on those models and can hold the quadrant in fast-idle position. This will likely show itself as the engine revving as the bars are turned side to side

Make sure the throttle stop screw (1) isn't holding the quadrant in an open position.
Also check the same thing for the master throttle adjuster (2).
If you haven't messed with it the balance screw (3) should still be in the right place.

The factory manual recommends setting the air bypass screws (10) right in and turning them out until you get 1000-1100 rpm tickover (approx 1 full turn out)

Last edited by slob; 17-07-2020 at 07:18 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #12
slob

jpdiag is your friend if you don't have a mathesis tester

also any air leak between the throttle bodies and engine will cause the engine to run lean and idle too fast.

Last edited by slob; 17-07-2020 at 09:28 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Is it a 620ie with a non-linear TPS? If it is then do NOT TPS reset through the diagnostic software or you'll be looking to buy a new one. Read this: -

http://www.bikeboy.org/ducati2vthrottleb.html

Tags
full rebuild.