UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newby

Old 31-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
scrumpster

The S2R around town is brilliant, especially with the slipper clutch and the fuel injection is spot on for the winter. My M600 was a pig in winter (well most of the year really ) Having never ridden a 900 I couldn't really comment on it
Old 31-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #17
Scotty

you want to ride a 'real' monster Scrumpster ?

ahem, 916 - 996- 998 - 999 is just the evolution of the engine in a way

errm i think the biggest jump in power / technology was from 916 to 996 where it got the redesigned heads which are significantly better , best get one of the singel sided swingarm models i guess

having said that my weedy old S4 is more than enough for me
Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #18
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
I disagree - I've upset most of the members on this forum at some point

I think the testa engine is a massive leap forward in terms of power and reliability. Maybe they changed their tooling, machines, whatever. The mechainics I've spoken to say they're much 'better' than the older engines. My 748R engine has an oil leak from the rear cylinder - on a 6500 mile engine. The response from the mechanic - 'they all do that sir'. The cure is to take it apart and build it properly.

That's not to say that the older engines are unreliable in any way, it's just evolution. Look at 1985 BMWs - still going strong, nothing wrong with them, but the latest generation engines are cleaner, smaller, lighter, more powerful and have longer service intervals. Ducati engines are the same.