UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Slow Monster rebuild

Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #1261
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Thanks Luddite - tried that and it works with no crushing.
Today, I spent another couple of hours trying and failing to make any brake pipes.
The problem I have is that the shape of the olive that sits over the end of the PTFE hose and is supposed to be inserted between the hose and the SS armour which then is compressed by an internally tapered fitting nut which just does not have enough spare thread to engage on the banjo fitting. Added to which the black outer sleeving material is too snug within the nut so the whole assembly becomes solid so to engage the thread you must turn the whole pipe.
I may be missing something but I think the design is flawed as it relies on the brass olive being crushed sufficiently to grip the PTFE pipe.
Several times I managed to actually assemble one of the front brake caliper banjos and having tightened it as much as I dare for a 10mm x 1mm thread I tested the integrity of the join by pulling on the brake pipe and each time the pipe pulled straight out.
I have decided to put this one down to experience and will order Goodridge as recommended by Dukedesmo.
Two other jobs got done today.
1. I made up some mesh grills to fit into the front of the air scoops. Originally I bought some aluminium mesh but it was just too flimsy and I could not work out a way of retaining the mesh in the mouth of the air scoop. So I bought some brass mesh and some 1.5mm brass rod which I bent to form a frame to fit just inside the scoop. I then soldered the mesh to the frame. I will secure the frame to the air scoop with some black silicone adhesive although I have a feeling this could get a bit messy.
2. I machined up some 8mm aluminium hexagon bar to make 2 guides for pushbuttons (made from 6mm dia brass bar turned down to 3mm) that will go through the clear acrylic sheet that sits in front of the speedometer/revcounter. These pushbuttons will enable me to set the trip meter (important as I do not have a tank sender unit or gauge) and calibrate the speedo sensor (and a couple of other functions).
Sorry still no photos.

Last edited by 350TSS; 10-06-2020 at 05:49 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #1262
350TSS

I have been under orders to fix things around the house so not much progress, besides I was awaiting delivery of brake pipes which came today and the LED headlight, still OS.
I managed to get a couple of hours in routeing the brake Goodridge pipes. They are great quality and very easy to fit but deciding on the best route took a little patience. Thanks Dukedesmo.
I was going to fit the pads and bleed them up but a long while ago I made some titanium pins and I put them somewhere "safe" - always fatal.
On the seat I have a strap which sits on the apex of the hump and covers the gap between the bum stop pad and the seat shell. I originally just intended to velcro it down but that does not quite adhere well enough, particularly where the strap meets the bottom of the seat and has to fold inwards.
Some sort of mechanical fixing is required, press studs would cause the strap to sit too far proud and a single button head bolt I think would eventually tear the ambla upholstery.
I decided that a strip of metal, the width of the strap about 15mm deep with a return that would clamp the amble around and under the seat shell would do the trick.
I was looking at the cam bearing caps and spotted the Ducati logo which is just about the right size and so I decided to take an impression off one of them and see if I could cast some from resin.
I made up a frame to hold some plasticene and took the impression and the first try out is curing as I write this. If it works I will braze a countersunk screw to the metal clip to secure the clip to the seat base and then bond the logo to the outside of the clip. It might not work but worth a try. If not a polshed aluminium clip will have to be made.
I ordered my tank decals (1992 Cagiva script for a 900 SS) from Moto Rapido which should be here on Friday. Unfortunately the little "Ducati" logo which normally sits above the headlight has gone obsolete.
I am hoping for better weather next week (less moisture in the atmosphere) so I can paint the tank, flyscreen and seat hump
Old 18-06-2020, 06:33 PM   #1263
Darkness

I say Ding Dong!

https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/shop/...hbutton=Search
Old 18-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #1264
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
I have been under orders to fix things around the house so not much progress, besides I was awaiting delivery of brake pipes which came today and the LED headlight, still OS.
I managed to get a couple of hours in routeing the brake Goodridge pipes. They are great quality and very easy to fit but deciding on the best route took a little patience. Thanks Dukedesmo.
I was going to fit the pads and bleed them up but a long while ago I made some titanium pins and I put them somewhere "safe" - always fatal.
On the seat I have a strap which sits on the apex of the hump and covers the gap between the bum stop pad and the seat shell. I originally just intended to velcro it down but that does not quite adhere well enough, particularly where the strap meets the bottom of the seat and has to fold inwards.
Some sort of mechanical fixing is required, press studs would cause the strap to sit too far proud and a single button head bolt I think would eventually tear the ambla upholstery.
I decided that a strip of metal, the width of the strap about 15mm deep with a return that would clamp the amble around and under the seat shell would do the trick.
I was looking at the cam bearing caps and spotted the Ducati logo which is just about the right size and so I decided to take an impression off one of them and see if I could cast some from resin.
I made up a frame to hold some plasticene and took the impression and the first try out is curing as I write this. If it works I will braze a countersunk screw to the metal clip to secure the clip to the seat base and then bond the logo to the outside of the clip. It might not work but worth a try. If not a polshed aluminium clip will have to be made.
I ordered my tank decals (1992 Cagiva script for a 900 SS) from Moto Rapido which should be here on Friday. Unfortunately the little "Ducati" logo which normally sits above the headlight has gone obsolete.
I am hoping for better weather next week (less moisture in the atmosphere) so I can paint the tank, flyscreen and seat hump
I think yo may find Moto Rapido buy their decals from Image Works. I have said this before. They replicate anything very very well and reasonable price. Probs cheaper than MR.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #1265
350TSS

Thanks Albie I will give Image Works a shout re the front fairing sticker.

I think I got my photo capability sorted - here is a test - instrument support brackets
Old 19-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #1266
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Stein Dinse have one available (I think the "Z" in the part no. means it's one of their own reproductions).

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_...ucts_id=476868
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #1267
350TSS

Thanks Luddite, I ordered 4 from Stein Dinse (2 for my other projects), pained me to pay Euro 10.90 for postage of 4 stickers that would fit in a standard letter envelope though.
Today was spent looking for the titanium brake pins which resulted in a major garage clearout, which was undoubtedly needed - 5 bin bags full of stuff I will never use and all my Ducati parts rationalised into appropriate sized sealed plastic boxes.
One of the large 50 litre plastic boxes for storing parts showed signs of rodent attack so the hole was plastic welded up.
I even vacuumed the floor.
Pleased it got done though before any parts are to be painted.
When I found the pins they were in a box with the springs which needed a thorough clean so tomorrow I will try out my ultrasonic cleaner for the first time (bought to clean carburettors on 3.5 Morini and 750SS and injectors on S4s)
Old 19-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #1268
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I think I paid £2 each for my monster Ducati seat cowl and front screen decals. Plus post was letter post from image works.
Old 19-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #1269
350TSS

Thanks Albie, nobody there or answering the phone at Image Works when I rang yesterday.
I heard a rumour that the owner had retired at 75 and sold the business to a company that sells photo images, but I may have dreamt that.
Old 19-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #1270
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Thanks Albie, nobody there or answering the phone at Image Works when I rang yesterday.
I heard a rumour that the owner had retired at 75 and sold the business to a company that sells photo images, but I may have dreamt that.
Haha. There always busy. No worries . I dont think Graham is 75 though. I'm sure stein dinse are grateful.
Can you tell me if you think your 750ss triple yoke bottom is same as 94 monster one or does anyone know. A guy wants one for 750ss 95 I have a 97 monster one. Looks similar.
Old 19-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #1271
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My Monster and SS bottom yokes look the same, although they are both Y2K, but I can't imagine earlier ones would be any different.

Obviously top yokes do differ.
Old 20-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #1272
350TSS

They look similar - maybe the easiest way is to check the part numbers for both.
I will check the offset this afternoon (difference between stem centre and centre of the fork legs) but I can only do that on the top yoke as I will have to take the fairing off to get to the bottom yoke and the 750SS is way over at the back of the garage parked behind 2 x S4s in which case they should be the same. (I cannot imagine that the legs are machined out of square by design)
Old 20-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #1273
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Think they are same . I saw a 900ss had same part number on bottom ending 141a.
Old 20-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #1274
350TSS

They are the same offset 25mm
Old 20-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #1275
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote: