UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New S4R Owner.

Old 15-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
Nosillad

New S4R Owner.

Hi Just thought i would say hello

Went to buy an Aprillia 750 from my local Ducati Dealer and walked away with an 05 plate S4R! So know almost nothing about what i have bought other than it looks lovely and sounds fantasic.

As soon as i can get my phone to play ball ill get some pics up here as i would like some help with identifying how many of the parts on it were standard and how much has been added by the previous owners.

But having taken a quick blast this morning to see what its like i have one (probably stupid) question.

Should i be able to rev it out to the indicated 11k on the counter? In both 2nd and 3rd today it got to just above 8k and seems to hit a brick wall with power. It pulls cleanly all the way there but then just seems to stop??

There is no red line on the tacho but my last two bikes were a Honda Blackbird and a Honda Fireblade so i am obvioulsy used to something that is a lot revvier.

Need to get used to the whole twin thing but want to make sure its not a dud first

Ill get pics up asap, but help in the meantime would be much appreciated

Thanks
Old 15-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome. I assume if it is an '05 it has the 996 Desmoquattro engine. I had an '04 model for about 6 years. Yes the rev limiter kicks in before 9000 rpm and cuts the power. I found it was most rewarding between 6 & 7000 rpm anyway. Great bike, good choice. Some Desmoquattro engines were prone to flaking rockers. Never had a problem with mine.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Well done and welcome

Pics don't work on the forum sadly. You need to upload to a hosting site first. I use postimage.org. It will resize them for you as well(message board size). It's very simple and intuitive. Just upload the photo/photos you want then copy the 'direct link'. Come back to UKMOC and Click the little yellow square -> and paste the link in the box. Job done

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Nosillad

thanks for the response bigredduke. the 11k on the tacho is just a styling thing then .....but glad there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 15-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosillad View Post
thanks for the response bigredduke. the 11k on the tacho is just a styling thing then .....but glad there is nothing wrong with it.
Yes, as is the 160 mph on the speedo. Just get used to frequent fuel stops. You will find the fuel light comes on anywhere between 80 & 100 miles depending on how it is ridden. I was usually ready for a stop after one hour anyway. What colour is it?
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Nice purchase and welcome to the club.
Great bike there. If you hit the rev limiter you should feel it stuttering badly so should be obvious

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
bluestoesonnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosillad View Post
Hi Just thought i would say hello

Went to buy an Aprillia 750 from my local Ducati Dealer and walked away with an 05 plate S4R! So know almost nothing about what i have bought other than it looks lovely and sounds fantasic.

As soon as i can get my phone to play ball ill get some pics up here as i would like some help with identifying how many of the parts on it were standard and how much has been added by the previous owners.

But having taken a quick blast this morning to see what its like i have one (probably stupid) question.

Should i be able to rev it out to the indicated 11k on the counter? In both 2nd and 3rd today it got to just above 8k and seems to hit a brick wall with power. It pulls cleanly all the way there but then just seems to stop??

There is no red line on the tacho but my last two bikes were a Honda Blackbird and a Honda Fireblade so i am obvioulsy used to something that is a lot revvier.

Need to get used to the whole twin thing but want to make sure its not a dud first

Ill get pics up asap, but help in the meantime would be much appreciated

Thanks
Great bike, they don't rev much past 8,000 rpm, and to be honest if you use the box you don't much more from them.

Can't wait to see the pictures
Old 17-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
cactus

Bike: M900ie
Well done with the purchase, you've bought a great machine, here's hoping you enjoy it to the max.