UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Keihin FCR or Mikuni TDMR

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Nottsbiker

Question Keihin FCR or Mikuni TDMR

Hi All,

First off I would stick with my stock 38mm carbs for now as I'm going to be running a stock 900ie lump in my Monster to get it on the road and later on return to a carbed but 944cc lump so don't immediately need flat-slides. Unfortunately the CV carbs are totally shot with all rubber seals perished and to make matters even worse the air screws are rounded off and seized in which to fix would leave me with roughly a £300 bill to put right.

Along with my longer term engine plans I will also be running the following upgrades from day one;

Silmotor headers & open cans
MWR air box filter lid
Lightened flywheel (not sure if this will fit the IE lump though = ??)
Exactfit coils

Because I have knackered carbs and some performance upgrades already I've decided to go with flat-slides now but cant decide between the two brands. So far I've come to the following conclusions;

Keihin FCR 41mm - common / tuneable / no choke - approx. £1500

Mikuni TDMR 40mm - uncommon in UK / apparently less tuneable / retains choke - approx. £1000

I know the FCR's are good but expensive, however does anyone have any input on the TDMR's?

Thanks - Ben