UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Aloha

Old 24-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
hungermonkey

Aloha

Edit: This has turned into a marathon post! So short story:

Hi!
I have a cosmetically not stunning 750 Dark which is nonetheless my pride and joy (picture attached hopefully). I also have no biker friends (except now Marcus and Ray from Rosso Corse who I seem to be visiting on a weekly basis!) so I’m hoping to meet up with some of you guys (and girls) at some events, and go for some rides! I’m for the moment pretty penniless so going to focus on riding, modding can come later!) .. so even this didn’t turn out to be a ‘short story’!
Oh yeah: I’m based in Tufnell Park, just north of Camden, but spend weekends in Hammersmith.
Thanks for having me

Long version:

Hi there,
I discovered (and have been througly enjoying) UKMOC for a few months and I thought I’d said hello, but turns out I haven’t.
So: bit of an intro, I’ve been keen on biking since I was a kid & was finally rich enough an old enough to get on one a year and a half ago, I did my cbt and scraped together enough for a Honda CG125 which I buzzed around on happily for a year, then I finally got together enough to do my test and then promptly went to HSBC and got a £2k loan to buy a CBR 600. Which I loved for a week until I woke up at 3am to hear its alarm and see someone close their white van and drive off with it ( don’t have a garage & didn’t have theft cover.. costly false ‘saving’!)
As you’d imagine I was pretty gutted but really couldn’t live without a bike (it’s almost a drug!) so my ex biker dad took pity on me and gave me a grand so I hopped on gumtree and found a 2000 reg 750M Dark. “In need of some TLC / cosmetic care” so not ideal, but with the money I had I knew I couldn’t be choosy, went round and saw it, and the guy fired it up in the garage.. so I obviously totally fell in love with the sound, and brought it home the next day. Mine is definitely a case in point of the saying: a Ducati that hasn’t had money spent on it... needs money spent on it! I took it to Ray at Rosso Corse for a service at Christmas: belts, front brake rebuild etc, etc, (£500) and since then have been back pretty much every week for little bits and pieces (Ray and Marcus now laugh when they see me, its that regular), so I’ve now spent well over a grand on it. But I still love the thing and it’s finally in good working order, touch wood. I do a 30 mile round commute so have put a couple of thousand miles on it & very much enjoyed it. Am a teacher so currently hardly eating let alone drinking to keep my bike on the road, but I do have a long list of prospective mods if/when I win the lottery! I have a well paid consultancy job lined up for next Jan so they’ll have to wait for then. Oh and apparently it was once owned by Jonny Lee Miller! Anyway here they are:

Current mods (when I brought it)
-CF tea tray with inbuilt indicators
- ‘Ducati Performance’ Remus high cans.

I have:
- Removed the front ‘bikini(?) fairing
- Got a smaller numb plate

Mods I want to make:
-Tail (& can?) chop
-LED indicators front and rear
-HID/Xenon lamp
- black (powdercoated?) rearsets and headlight casing
- smarter mirrors!
- a louder horn.
- lots of other bits and pieces I cant remember right now.. seen lots of inspiration on here, thanks! I think I'm more of a minimalist than a CF kinda guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monster.jpg (30.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg monster 2.jpg (31.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 24-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
sburrows87

Hello and welcome to the site, the bike looks good and it only up from here, depending on how much money you can throw at it!
Old 24-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
looking good and welcome to the club, hope to see you Sunday at Brooklands
Old 24-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
analogue_rogue

thats in much better condition than my 98 600 dark!!!!!
Old 25-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
weimeranerman

Welcome - I'm sure that you will enjoy the bike. Haven't got the modding bug myself, but still enjoy the experience!
Old 25-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
hungermonkey

Indeed the only way is up! Thanks for the welcome's and yep hope to meet a few of you on sunday, as long as I can get family commitments out the way! Last week I got the Lidl rider-pillon coms kit & its great to be able to just chat to your passenger. But it's all wired. Do you guys use radios to chat on ride outs/tunnel runs? If so.. what?
Old 25-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Welcome to the club

Chat to a pillion ???? ... you want to get a louder exhaust mate
Old 25-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
scrapps

Hi HM modding is great fun and you do not need to throw loads of money at it if you throw loads of time at it. ie looking on the net(evil bay etc)for parts and doing as much as poss yourself. always plenty of good advise to be had on this site.
maybe see you at brooklands sunday.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
hungermonkey

Good point Scrapps,
My only hold up is a don't have a garage nor many tools! And have a fear of fiddling and then finding out (too late) that my brakes/throttle/other crucial bit no longer work! But maybe after a chat on Sunday I'll take the plunge. Pay day tomorrow! Woo hoo.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
animaluk

Hello I'll wave harder next time i see you

Look out got Chrome S4 and a red 996 chrome lid too
Old 25-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
scrapps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungermonkey View Post
Good point Scrapps,
My only hold up is a don't have a garage nor many tools! And have a fear of fiddling and then finding out (too late) that my brakes/throttle/other crucial bit no longer work! But maybe after a chat on Sunday I'll take the plunge. Pay day tomorrow! Woo hoo.
You don't need to worrie about a garage I rebuilt mine in the dinning room !
Let's hope we get nice weather Sunday for the run
Old 25-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Diego

nice bike m8. welcome to the dark side!