UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Another build thread - Ducati 1000

Old 21-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #76
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think they're carbon dipped plastic and not real carbon fibre, so no real dust issues but it pays to be cautious though!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #77
buzzer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I think they're carbon dipped plastic and not real carbon fibre, so no real dust issues but it pays to be cautious though!
yes, its plastic, but I still wear mask, in the garage and in the shops these days!

for some parts of the loom I have used this braided sheathing... its a bit fiddly to do but the results are good. I notice a lot of cars use this now on the loom.

Another job I have been meaning to get around to... The FCR carbs need a one into two cable setup. I was going to use a junction box off an old British bike, but all the ones I could see were either too short on the pull distance, or terrible quality, so I decided to make one. I was going to make it out of aluminum but had difficulty getting nice threads, probably due to the grade of alloy bar I had. so brass it is. It also allowed me to put longer holes to retain the cables, all the ones I looked at only had short holes.

buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #78
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Once again that's absolutely superb. I'm tempted to ask if you could make another but I probably can't afford it!!

RGM do a stainless one with a brass shuttle for £15.90 plus VAT and postage.
Their stuff is always top quality. I should know as I have bought thousands of pounds worth of their stuff, and even visited the HQ once.

No idea what the travel is on that one, but I could check easily enough.

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/thro...uttle_2414.htm
Old 24-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #79
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Brilliant article, looking forward to a winter of watching the rebirth of the M900... excellent Tony.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #80
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Brilliant article, looking forward to a winter of watching the rebirth of the M900... excellent Tony.
Yes, I am looking forward to the 900... its been a while since I did a straight restoration.

here is the plate to hold the ignition switch. It didn't look right just flat, so I made a small press tool to add a raised ring where the switch goes.

Old 26-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #81
buzzer

Finished the wiring apart from the horn as it didnt seem to like being bead blasted!

Old 28-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #82
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I hope you are wearing an appropriate dust mask whilst cutting and cleaning up the dust. It’s really nasty stuff if it gets into your lungs!
I wish... its fake carbon! in fact I have re done them today... and the clutch cover...

I like this hydrographics, I may do my helmet soon, there are some nice films out there! here is a link to a 2 min video of how its done in the back garden with an Ikea box! if you don't like fake carbon... don't click the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh6Hh1F0-Yg

Last edited by buzzer; 29-09-2020 at 04:13 PM..
Old 02-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #83
buzzer

Done a few jobs in preparation for the start… put the jets in the carbs, started with what I think will be rich to be on the safe side… made a stay for the oil cooler, and made the ignition leads. I have had that crimp tool since I was 20… so its 45 years old! it does make nice crimps on the leads though. I have used copper core leads, and resistor plugs to keep the neighbours happy! *The hydro dipping came out quite good...

Last edited by buzzer; 02-10-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Old 04-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #84
buzzer

Try as I might I just couldn’t get the fuel pipes to run correctly with a standard flat “T” piece… the bends in the pipe were too tight. so I ended up making a custom one out of brass… took a few hours…

Old 04-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #85
Moco1961

...a few hours well spent though Tony, admirable skills once again,
Old 05-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #86
buzzer

My clutch covers are back from the laser cutters… Over the last couple of years I have been learning CAD… Its not an intuitive package and I get frustrated, but get there in the end! If anyone wants the CAD file to have some cut, get in touch!

Old 05-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #87
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Have a play with Autodesk’s Fusion360, if it’s still free for students and hobbyists, easy to use, plenty of how tos on youtube, works on pc or mac.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #88
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Have a play with Autodesk’s Fusion360, if it’s still free for students and hobbyists, easy to use, plenty of how tos on youtube, works on pc or mac.
thanks, I will have a play...

The seat pad came back from Aldridge trimming and as usual Karen did a fantastic job… she said she was not asked for orange stitching very often! next job was to make the fuel filter holder… this took some thinking about due to the position, and the fact I wanted it to be secure… In the end I machined a clip out of nylon. there is an annular grove which stops the filter moving, its very secure

started it up yesterday… it actually started first time!… but it didn’t run well… A quick check on the timing revealed it was significantly out. Looks like I made a calculation error in placing the magnets. rather than re-make the timing wheel, I slotted the mounting holes on the miller. A simple job, but it took ages to set it up! This of course meant that I had to turn off the original timing marks and scribe some new ones. I used a pointer and timing disc in the lathe to do this. the marks were scribed using a sharp tool, drawn across the surface with the cross slide. I think that way they are pretty accurate! here is a short video of it running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-3sPlFi-A
Old 09-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #89
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
That's amazing Tony,fair play to you

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #90
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
That's amazing Tony,fair play to you

Kimbo
thanks!

yesterday’s job was to make some velocity stacks for the FCR’s… first time in many years I have done some free hand turning (just like wood turning) to get the shape of the curved entry right. took ages to bet both to match the plastic one… the new ones will enable me to use filters as its important on the road in particular as the carbs face forward…

last update for a while as its my 65th birthday tomorrow.... and I am having a week off apparently!

Last edited by buzzer; 11-10-2020 at 12:48 PM..