UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Star kicker.

Old 24-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Star kicker.

By pure chance I dropped onto BBC Four last night and caught a special edition of The Old Grey whistle Test Live... I kid you not. 30 years on from the last one broadcast.
Hosted by the original and genuine Whispering Bob Harris.

3 hours of pure heaven. I feel like a time traveller..
Old 24-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Moco1961

Question

So Mr G, there is a rumour that it's about to be re-launched......back in the day who was it that ticked your boxes ?
Old 24-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
.... I feel like a time traveller..
Ha ....you should see my album collection.

So .. today, I bet you're whistling along to the memory .. and in the appropriate colour these days too.

Ta for the heads-up.
That'll be this evening's shed listening sorted then.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Watched about half of the programme last night, will catch the rest tonight ( you have got to love sky + !)
My memories of TOGWT stems from the late 70's on, when punk/New wave and electronics was my musical bag!
Watching some of the acts who played over the years was fascinating. From Bowie to Marley, awesome!
If the beeb are going to resurrect the programme, you can count me in on the tv audience!
Old 24-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
One of my fave OGWT was the one when the Stones released the double album "Love you Live". They showed concerts in Paris (?) and interviews with the band. Great stuff!
Old 24-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Stinger101

Bike: M1200s
The mighty Gary Numan is mine. Saw him on the original Whistle Test in 79 when I was 11. He did TOTP & OGWT within a week & I was hooked. I've lost count of how many time I've seen Numan live, it'll be around 130 since Wednesday September 17th 1980....... #abitsadmaybe
Stinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger101 View Post
The mighty Gary Numan is mine. Saw him on the original Whistle Test in 79 when I was 11. He did TOTP & OGWT within a week & I was hooked. I've lost count of how many time I've seen Numan live, it'll be around 130 since Wednesday September 17th 1980....... #abitsadmaybe
Numan was performing live last night. Great set, the track off the new album? was i think, one of the best of the night ( bearing in mind I've still have a couple of hrs to watch)
As for the 4 tracks whispering Bob chose as his highlight performances over the programmes broadcasting stint, not my cuppa. Was it me, or was there a biased towards county sounding music, excluding Bob Marley.
Old 24-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well maybe they were testing the water for a re-launch... Ooh! yes please.

Certainly have been humming the tunes today, as most days actually.

You've gotta love the Whistle test for showcasing stuff that you just can't Pidgeon hole. Those three girls were brilliant.. Wildwood Kin. I'm an instant fan.

Who ticked the boxes? Mmm, good question.
Perennial favourites would be The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and the Beatles, but there is always Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple, Al Stewart, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, Joan Armatading, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Kate Bush, Vinegar Joe, Steely Dan, Ry Cooder, Captain Beefheart, Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, Incredible String Band, Hookfoot, Men At Work, James Gang, Kiki Dee, Grace Slick, Janis Joplin, Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Free, The Kinks, Lynyrd Synyrd, Steve Miller Band, Roxy Music, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Lindisfarne.
Great Program for someone whose taste cannot be Pidgeon holed.

I nearly always watched the Whistle test round someone else's house after a night out.
Of course the other great institution was Alan "Fluff" Freemans Saturday afternoon rock show, opening to the strains of Hocus Pocus by Focus and Frankenstein.
Many a happy hour spent listening to that, while polishing up the bike for a Saturday night out.... Right.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 24-02-2018 at 05:51 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
Moco1961

That's some playlist !. They were good times when bands were real musicians and learnt their trade playing pubs,clubs and regional venues, real talent . In Liverpool there are a couple of older venues, Royal court and the Empire, back in the eighties I saw Queen, 10cc, Black sabbath,Ac-dc,Judas Priest, Boomtown rats,white snake, Rainbow......all brilliant live performances, the venues are small and compared to stadiums, intimate. No room for mistakes, the OGWT was a showcase for these guys. Nearest thing to it I guess is Jools Hollands show.......long live live music !!!!!
Old 25-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
Martin Duke

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hard to believe all those years have passed!

OGWT was a (the?) must watch music programme - some of my favourites were Little Feat, Richard and Linda Thompson, Man, Roxy Music, Wisbone Ash, Wilko Johnson. Great to be able to see good bands in small venues too - Santana in the Locarno, Fairport Convention, Man, Rory Gallagher and Al Stewart at the Colston Hall - all local in Bristol. Anyone remember Gong?

Martin
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
Martin Duke

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Original?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
By pure chance I dropped onto BBC Four last night and caught a special edition of The Old Grey whistle Test Live... I kid you not. 30 years on from the last one broadcast.
Hosted by the original and genuine Whispering Bob Harris.

3 hours of pure heaven. I feel like a time traveller..
Well worth watching - but Bob hasn't got his original teeth!!

Martin
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
ChrisC2925

Bike: M600
First memory I have is watching some of Cream's Albert Hall farewell when I was 13 and hearing Crossroads and finding out it was a Robert Johnson song. It sent me on a lifelong love of improvisation, live music and searching blues roots. Luckily my dad worked shifts so I could wangle staying up to watch it.
ChrisC2925 is offline   Reply With Quote