UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Ducati M900 problem

Old 29-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Another possibility.

Has the bike had the little plastic carb breather containers removed?
Or the carb breather tubes mucked about with at all.

I had a similar issue as you describe on my M900 that had been modified by several different owners before it came into my hands.

I was tidying up some of the old mods to bring them up to my standard.
One of these was the carb breather tubes had been chopped off a few inches below the carbs as the breather boxes attached to the frame had been removed.
The Vacuum fuel tap had also been removed and replaced with a simple on-off version.

If I parked the bike up and forgot to turn the fuel tap off, fuel dripped out of the breathers down onto the top of the Horizontal cylinder. Luckily it took a while for the fuel to drip, long enough for the engine to have cooled down.

I found some of the correct size tube to replace the carb breathers and routed them down the frame to below the engine.
The bike ran OK at slow speeds, but once at a decent speed for more than a few seconds it ran out of fuel. I had to pull over and let the float bowls refill before it would restart.

I blamed a High/Low pressure area under the engine for affecting the float height.
I tried the longer hoses in three different positions on the bike, but it kept doing the same thing.
Eventually at the side of the road I cut the new pipes off in the same position as the previously ‘modified’ ones and it’s run fine ever since.

I plan to fit a vacuum tap, but for the last year or so have just remembered to turn the fuel tap off.

I’d also take a good look at all the vacuum hose to the fuel tap.

Nasher.
Good point you raise about the carb breathers being kept in still air- I removed the little side pods from my bike in order to fit the DP carbon scoops and took a couple of goes to relocate the pipes somewhere out of the way.

My first attempt manifested itself as the bike 'pulsing' when on a steady throttle at around 60-70mph- almost felt like it was starting to 'go on reserve' (which it obviously can't as there's no provision for it to) so I presume the float height was being affected and it was leaning off the mixture.

It was fine as soon as I wound the throttle on or if I reduced the speed to cruise at around 50mph.

Once I'd found a better place all was good again though.

I think I paid about £30 with club discount from Moto Rapido for this little baby when the times comes for you to fit one:

Gratuitous photo of the carbon side scoops fitted in place of the pods:

Last edited by Flip; 29-03-2017 at 09:04 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
Nasher

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I think I paid about £30 with club discount from Moto Rapido for this little baby when the times comes for you to fit one:
Ah yes that looks like just what I need.

What is it again?

Nasher.
Old 24-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #18
Seddos

Hi everyone as you can remember I had problem with my monster cutting off evrytime I take out for a run .... thanks for the advice I have put back the fuel filter in and also took Nasher advice !!!! "One of these was the carb breather tubes had been chopped off a few inches below the carbs as the breather boxes attached to the frame had been remove" I chopped the two carb breather pipes off .... move the fuel filter away from underneath the seat as I bevieve it was getting to hot from the engine..... What I bike, the monster is running very well never had any trouble so far .....!! It also pass MOT, with back tyres advisory, .....so if anyone is selling a170/60 tyre give me a shout please ..... Thanks once again.