UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Warning light ?

Old 26-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Warning light ?

Hi all, have just put the battery on to my incomplete project, featuring 2004 M1000 electrics. So my question, what does the amber light (just above the two buttons) mean when it flashes with nothing turned on? when I turned the ignition on lots of weird sh.. happens, the r/h indicators come on for a bit ect. Sorry for my ignorance of this next generation (for me) electrics, but this is I'm afraid this is likely to be the first a many questions. I have also made a plea on "I Want" for an owners manual, which would be handy too. Thanks anyway Bitza.
Old 26-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Bitza
Bronze Member

Update, the flashing orange light indicates that the immobiliser is on apparently, which is unexpected because when I had the ECU reflashed the immobiliser was meant to be turned off. Anyway I thought I would just see if it would allow me to use the starter, which it did (but for longer than I pressed the button?), however after that all the warning lights now stay on. Unfortuneately I'm not ready to run-up the engine so will have to wait to find out what the immobiliser situation is. Bitza
Old 26-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
Anyway I thought I would just see if it would allow me to use the starter, which it did (but for longer than I pressed the button?
You probably have the 'servo start' system like on my S2R; when you press and release the starter, it continues to crank until either it starts or about 5 seconds (so as not to overheat the starter circuit).

As far as the immobiliser is concerned, have a look here

http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/page.php?id=29

and consider giving them a call if you've got any problems.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Bitza
Bronze Member

Well thanks for that Luddite, well the servo system I could do without, as basically I don't like not being in control of machinery. I will be contacting Avanti because they did the reflash, thanks again Bitza.
Old 26-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
the servo system I could do without, as basically I don't like not being in control of machinery.
It's been a few years now since I had this feature on my bike but, if I remember correctly, the servo effect is only triggered if you press and immediately release the start button. If you press and hold the button for a second or more, then the starter motor stops when you release the button.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #6
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Does anyone else feel as I do that often "features" are added to mask another issue (weak power cabling) and they just end up being something else to go wrong? Elegant design is simple,efficient and durable not complex, convoluted and fragile.
Just me being an old luddite I suppose
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
Stevedesmo

Bike: S4r
Will you also be disabling the advance and retard mechanism for the ignition in favour of a manual lever, and fitting a hand cranked oil pump needing a few shots every minute to keep the big ends from picking up?
Stevedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Bitza
Bronze Member

Well Steve I wasn't, but now you come to mention it, maybe an advance/retard twist grip (on the left) like on the panhead? knucklehead? side-valve Harleys! and I'll not have a bad word said about Pilgrim oil pumps. Oh yeh and do you know why all my warning lights are coming on?

A bit of an up date while I'm here, while I was bleeding the oil through the engine/cooler etc the spark plugs were sparking like a gooden so I guess the immobiliser is in fact turned off, just not its warning light, which while a bit irritating I can live with. I just don't understand why all the other warning lights are on, when I say all that includes high beam, the indicators when they aren't even turned on?!%^$)*" . So just to get back to your original point Steve maybe fitting a magneto is the answer. Bitza