UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Monster 620 lock set replacement

Old 23-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
atm63

Monster 620 lock set replacement

Hi, I have purchased a Monster 620 which was stolen recovered, the ignition has been damaged and is useless. I have purchased a complete used lock set including the immobilizer ring that sits with the ign switch. I have wired it up and all works except starter button. Before I delve deeper , have I got all I need. I have 1 x black key with the replacement locks. I have the keys for the original set but the ign is toast. Am I going wrong somewhere? Thanks in advance
Old 23-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Have a look here:

http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/page.php?id=29

and consider giving Avanti a ring. They're very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to ECUs. You may have to have it reprogrammed to accept the new immobiliser.

Did you get the key code card with your lockset? I think you may need that.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
atm63

Is that the small steel tag with a number on , I have one but with old set , nothing with new ones. Thanks for the link I will speak to them Monday . Also wondered if possible to do away with the immobiliser ??
Old 23-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think you need a Red master key or the code card in order to re-sync the clocks with the ecu so they work. Without that it won't work unless you can get the immobiliser diasabled in the ecu by a dealer or Avanti etc.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The locks are just locks, purely mechanical.
The immobiliser ring is just a coil of wire, consider it an ariel.

Now the key is a two part device, the key that turns the mechanical lock AND a little gizmo chip that gives the ariel a code to the ECU which has a few slots to hold key codes.
So the keys (black) each of them has a unique code that the bike has to know.

You have a few choices
1. Get the ECU to accept the new key. That needs the code card or red key.
2. If you already have a key that can start the bike (mechanical lock broken or not) you could swap out the chip in the key
3. If you have a working key as above then you could get a new key cut and have the chip code cloned.
4. You can change the ignition circuit to remove the immobilser section of the ECU.
Old 23-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by atm63 View Post
Is that the small steel tag with a number on , I have one but with old set , nothing with new ones. Thanks for the link I will speak to them Monday . Also wondered if possible to do away with the immobiliser ??
No - the steel tag just tells a locksmith how to cut the ignition key. The key card is like a credit card with details of the immobiliser code. I think Avanti can disable the immobiliser from your ECU without that so don't worry if you haven't got one.

I'm sure Avanti can advise you of the best option when you speak to them.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 24-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
BLUNT

I'm sure Avanti can advise but Nickj has explained all the options extremely well.
If it were mine I would favour option 3 from Nickj's post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
3. If you have a working key as above then you could get a new key cut and have the chip code cloned.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
Luddite

In the meantime, if you want to check that everything works you may be able to start the engine by holding the old key next to the new one as you turn on the ignition. The immobiliser will read the old key while the new key operates the lock.

Of course, the engine will stop as soon as you move the old key away from the ignition but at least you'd know everything was in working order.
Old 24-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
BLUNT

Are you sure about that - if two keys are present won't the antenna being trying to read the codes from two transponders and get confused?

If you removed the transponder from the key that operates the switch and hold the correct key near the aerial then that should work but the aerial is not constantly reading the code - it reads it once and sends it to the decoder which if correct enables engine start.

I don't see that after the engine has started then it still needs the transponder present?

......unless you know different?