UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » M1000 track bike

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
M1000 track bike

A few years ago I bought an old M1000(on here) cheaply, since it was only running on one cylinder and the owner didn't fancy tackling the job. It was used as a ready source of spares for my identical 2003 road bike, leaving it looking more than a little neglected.

I managed to get an old FIM ECU, cheaper than a factory replacement, bypassing the need to match the imobiliser code and when my 620 track bike suffered a untimely meeting with a myopic BMW driver, I transplanted most of the good bits to the 1000.
Ohlins shock, high level Termis, chopped airbox, Brembo radial master, floating front discs, utralight rear, clipons & rearsets. I also found a pair of S4 wheels cheap on eBay and another UKMOC member sold me a quick action throttle quadrant.
It went okay and was fun to ride.

Sadly the lack of a rev limiter on the FIM ECU and three days chasing more powerful bikes round Cartagena in January proved too much for the old girl, she lost power, started making nasty noises and blew the rear base gasket. Fortunately on the last day we had booked at the track. She was duly shipped back to blighty.

I finally got round to clearing enough space in my garage to investigate, on the plus side lack of free time means I've been saving some money towards the rebuild.

Today I got round to removing all the bits that tie the engine to the frame and draining the oil. There's a drainplug under these metal flakes somewhere.

(sorry about the poor focus there)

Also some large flakes of metal left in the drain tray

It's not looking good so far...

If I get home in time tomorrow, I'll be bolting these to the engine

(courtesy of Ray at Rosso Corse)

lifting the bike off and slotting this in place

to leave the chassis movable whilst the engine is stripped

Last edited by slob; 16-03-2013 at 11:00 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote