UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Indicators lights, everything! And MOT!

Old 16-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
Bert

Bike: M696
Indicators lights, everything! And MOT!

Well, I bought some cheapo rear indicators, non-led. Without a rear light connected, the front (non-led) one flashes madly. And when I connect the rear..... they both flash madly. With the original rear LEDs connected, presumably with resistors built-in, all is good so is it a case of the bulbs not drawing enough current? They are supposedly rated at 3w each. Failed mot because aftermarket LED integrated rear lamp fitted by previous owner didn't place the indicators far enough apart.

Also rear light, front light, number plate light don't work. Brake light does. They were working fine yesterday! Fuses good. Things getting worse
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 08:03 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Indicator bulbs are normally 21w.
Old 17-01-2022, 10:47 AM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
^^^Yup, 3W not nearly enough to balance the flasher relay.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
Bert

Bike: M696
All good now. Got a pair of indicators 10w rating, all works fine! Headlight not working was down to a fuse, a bare indicator feed might have touched the frame.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
An Italian bike teaching you all about electrics! Although contrary to popular belief about Italian bikes, Jap bikes of the same era are actually nearly as bad, the connectors may be better and more weatherproof but the components are just as crappy and unreliable. It's just that popular journals of the time actually wrote about it. Suzuki reg/recs anyone?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #6
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Ducati - turning riders into mechanics since 1926
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 07:06 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
An Italian bike teaching you all about electrics! Although contrary to popular belief about Italian bikes, Jap bikes of the same era are actually nearly as bad, the connectors may be better and more weatherproof but the components are just as crappy and unreliable. It's just that popular journals of the time actually wrote about it. Suzuki reg/recs anyone?
And for years Honda wiring were at least as crappy as Ducati, some of the routing was a bit better though.
Old 22-01-2022, 02:11 AM   #8
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Honda have a good PR machine - all those journos on alcoholic freebies writing what they are told to - Legendary Honda reliability etc etc. My experience was somewhat different.
I have owned 6 Honda motorcycles.
1. C50 - push rod non OHC cub - great no issues - traded for 2
2. C90 - push rod/earles forks model - big end let go after about 3 month's ownership - hardly surprising as a 16 year old the poor little thing was never ever off full throttle
3. CB160 - fabulous engine that ran the mains/big end bearings about 6 weeks after I bought it and cost me more to repair than the initial purchase price.
After a hiatus between ages 25 and 34 I returned to biking for cheap and rapid (London) commuting.
4. 250 RS - 250 single, great bike bought cheap as a London commuter - no issues - did maybe 20k miles on it. vague front end but otherwise very fit for purpose.
5. XBR 500 also a commuter, electric starter stopped working the day after I bought it then had issues with a lazy automatic valve lifter/de-compressor linked to the kick starter which caused it to remain in contact with the camshaft (making a horrendous knocking noise). After about 20k miles I took it for an MOT and was told I could not ride it home as the swinging arm had rotted through.
6. Bros 650 - also primarily a commuter - a great riding experience apart from the slightly clunky rear end ( I blamed the weight of the single sided SA) but all manner of electrical problems eventually traced by the next owner to a partially fractured wire in the loom around the head stock.
My 750SS on the other hand was brilliant, 1 speedo cable and 1 oil pressure switch were all that went wrong with it in 30k miles.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #9
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
The clue is in better and more weatherproof connectors. My 42 year old TS185 has a great original wiring loom, reg, CDI etc all of which works perfectly. I never had a Ducati back then, but I knew a few people who did & they lived in fear of it raining mid ride!

Italian electrickery was more on a par with Brit crap.