UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Looking for advice on my first big V

Old 09-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
Gim

I'm sure its just a case of getting used to it. I'm finding the s4r is a bit more of a handfull than the old 900, but I'm sure that the last year spent on a harley has a lot to do with it ! Despite being V twins they are totally different lumps and the monnie does not appreciate being ridden at harley revs ! Mind, at least the harleys front wheel would stay firmly attatched to the tarmac
Rob
Old 09-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #17
Robot

Snatchy roundabouts

I've never used 1st gear as much since I've been riding the S4R!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #18
benson

Snatchy roundabout....isn't that a crime?

Anyway - I know that when I've been riding my beemer (heated grips, seat and yes - pants too ) it's a different ball game than on the monnie even from one day to the next - bring the revs up and enjoy!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #19
aelius

Quote:
I really can't add anything as i'm a newbie myself, but just want to ask, do you have a tachometer?
Yes, I have a tacho - but to reinforce your point, I've never had one before so I have no frame of reference - it's difficult to know what's 'too high' and 'too low'. All I have to go off are my ears, and they're used to the anaemic wailing of a restricted DT125!!

Thanks for the replies from everyone - I felt a bit stupid asking at first, but I'm glad I did now. Why struggle along on your own when you can ask people who've been riding these beasts for years?

After riding in a lower gear and revving harder, the bike seems a lot happier, though it still feels alien to me. Like Robot says, I've never used first gear so much - it seems somehow unnatural to be changing down to first gear to negotiate a tight mini-roundabout after quite happily zipping round in 3rd on my DT for so long.

Thanks again for the help and advice