UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Neutral switch issue

Old 12-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Neutral switch issue

i now have a nice LED dash with Tacho for my M750 every thing works fine except the neutral switch which stays on when in gear , the circuit is ok as is the switch , but it needs a resister as the switch is old and not giving correct resistance for LED on dash panel now , normal bulbs it works with , i dont want to spend £30 on a new switch ,,
Old 12-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Chances are you are switching the positive through the switch not the negative I had the same problem with my Koso dash. Which dash are you using?

Pooh
Old 12-01-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Chances are you are switching the positive through the switch not the negative I had the same problem with my Koso dash. Which dash are you using?

Pooh
Possibly, I had to alter the wiring on both my 916 and Monster to work with a Translogic dash as the dash needs a negative and both my bikes switched the positive.

Although, with the Translogic it doesn't show 'N' unless the polarity was correct, rather it would show - - unless it detected a gear.

If your bike has a 2-wire switch then it switches the positive, 1-wire switches the negative. Older bikes used the 2-wire system, not sure when they changed to the single-wire, negative though?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Possibly, I had to alter the wiring on both my 916 and Monster to work with a Translogic dash as the dash needs a negative and both my bikes switched the positive.

Although, with the Translogic it doesn't show 'N' unless the polarity was correct, rather it would show - - unless it detected a gear.

If your bike has a 2-wire switch then it switches the positive, 1-wire switches the negative. Older bikes used the 2-wire system, not sure when they changed to the single-wire, negative though?
This makes sense because unlike a bulb that will light up whichever polarity is used, an LED will not.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Standard Monster neutral switch is single wire which makes a contact to earth when a gear is selected they work the same way as the oil switch it just supply’s an earth to the bulb or LED.

Jerry I’m not sure what you mean the switch has the wrong resistance? It is an on-off switch there is no resistor except the one that would come within the dash to reduce the voltage from 12v to roughly 2v for the LED.

Pooh

Last edited by pooh; 12-01-2021 at 07:37 PM..
pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
If you want to calculate the value of the necessary resistor, you'll need to know the voltage and current of the LED you're using.

Then you can use this calculation to determine which resistor you need.

R = [V (Battery) ➖ V (LED)] ➗ I (LED)

So, for a typical standard LED with a forward voltage of 2V and a current of 20mA, the necessary resistor would be:

[12V ➖ 2V] ➗ 0.02mA = 500 Ohm

An extra bright LED may have a forward voltage of around 3.2V so the required resistor for that would be:

[12V ➖ 3.2V] ➗ 0.02mA = 440 Ohm

The resistor should be wired in series and is not directional so it doesn't matter which way round you install it.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:36 PM   #7
jerry
Old Git

bike has one wire to neutral switch changing polarity on the Contagiri dash makes no difference, i have tried that , my brother says same as Luddite so he is getting me a few resistors betwwen 400 - 600 ohm