UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » National Events » Weekender Archive » Monster Weekender 2017 » Weekender 2017 - 26th to 29th May

Old 15-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #31
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I don't recall many photos being taken this year, to be honest. Sunday afternoon's weather was not really conducive to hanging around in the car park, tyre kicking and admiring.

But the fact that many of us who were there have already put our names down for 2017 shows just how good the hotel and the mid-Wales roads were, even if conditions were such that a prize was awarded for the filthiest dirtiest Monster (not the cleanest shiniest one).

The idea is not to keep the plan secret - normally the itinerary is published here on the forum a few weeks before the Weekender. I'm sure Alan will let us all know what the plan for the weekend is nearer the time.

The usual format involves everyone turning up on the Friday afternoon/evening in time for drinks & dinner. Saturday there's a ride-out or ride-outs (in previous years/locations we've sometimes gone to e.g. a motor museum, but this year we offered a choice of longer & shorter rides to the Brecon Beacons & Snowdonia). Saturday evening a big dinner in the hotel & more drinks & sometimes after dinner entertainment (live band or silly quiz). Sunday morning there's usually the "National" ride-out, to which day visitors are very welcome, followed by the bike show, raffle and then either a ride home, or for those staying Sunday night, a few more beers & normally dinner somewhere other than the hotel.

Of course Alan might decide to shake things up a bit, but I think we can be sure of great roads in the day followed by great beer/cider and a good laugh in the evenings.

In response to Ursa's query - there's definitely a higher ratio of riding to drinking on the UK weekender than the Belgium trip. One reason we offered a choice of ride-outs was so that if you did want to do a long (nearly 200 mile) ride out, you could, but if you wanted a shorter ride (with more time to spend in the hotel pool or bar) that was also a possibility.

Last edited by MrsC_772; 15-09-2016 at 09:13 PM..
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #32
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Bike: M1100
Hi All, Please see last years itinerary below. 2017 will be similar and will be posted nearer the time.
I know it may seem early to start booking but Hotels book up well in advance and when we are looking at say 25 rooms we need to start now.
The weekender is always a great event and we have visited various areas over the years.
Last years Wales weekender was a great success and a lot of comments were made about going back to ride the great roads and enjoy the hotel/bar banter etc.
There are various photos in the weekender archive, I will ask someone to see if they can put a few together to posts up.

Weekender 2016 itinerary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 5 weeks to go

Andy & I thought it's about time to share with you all our plans for the weekend.

Friday 29th April

4.00 onwards - arrive and check in
7.30 - meet for drinks in Spencer's Bar
8.00 - dinner

Saturday 30th April
Breakfast 7.30 to 9.30

Choice of two ride outs:

Andy's Great Northern route
Departing 10.00 a.m. a figure of 8 route of 184 miles heading up into Snowdonia, with spectacular lake and mountain views, lunch at the Lakeside cafe (and 2 fuel stops at 60 and 120 miles). In the unlikely event that the "guaranteed sunshine" fails to materialise, the route can be cut short at the crossover point.

OR

A Brecon Beacons Bimble
Departing at 11.00, for the 75 mile shorter route, a fun mix of A and B roads heading south to the Brecon Beacons with a tea/lunch stop at the very welcoming Owls Nest Cafe, Llandovery

Before dinner at 7.30, there should be time to check out the hotel spa, and/or the Arvon Alehouse across the road.

After dinner, the Great Welsh Pub Quiz!

Sunday 1st May

Breakfast 8-10 am
10:30 - the National Monster Ride Out - we know what JP has planned, and we're sure you'll love it!
Lunch wherever and whenever you fancy
Afternoon: get your vote in for the 2016 Bike Awards!
15:00 - awards presentation, followed by...
15:30 - the raffle, in aid of the Wales Air Ambulance

After the raffle – chill out, back to the spa and/or bar, and head out for dinner - we'll see what people fancy (although I'd never object if the vote is for curry!)

Monday 2nd May
Breakfast 7.30 to 9.30
Check out by 11 am.

If anyone would like the gpx files of the Saturday ride-out routes for their satnavs, let me or Andy know and we can make them available before the weekender. We'll provide hard copies of the routes in the welcome packs.

There are still rooms available if anyone else is tempted to join us (whether for all 3 nights, 2 or even just 1). PM me or AndyC_772 if you're interested.

Likewise, if you fancy just turning up for the day, whether to join us for the National Rideout and/or the show on the Sunday, or one of the Saturday rides, you'd be very welcome.

Looking forward to seeing you all
alan c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #33
Kazza

Sounds great and we're really looking forward to it :-)
Old 16-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #34
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
Still doesn't answer my question, I meet club members regularly throughout the year, I have no idea if this is meant to be a riding holiday or a general **** up with a bit of riding included, so repeated posts about new faces would be welcome, like I said, a bit more info on what to expect would be a good place to start.
The Weekender is an opportunity to get together with some like-minded friends, enjoy riding your bike over some great roads, then retire back to the hotel for food, drink and banter afterwards.

There are usually planned rides on the Saturday and Sunday, which last for the whole morning (and in the case of last year's long ride, well into the afternoon as well, with breaks for tea and lunch). You don't have to go out on all of them, of course, but most people do, and for me it's the main focus of the trip. There is, after all, little point in riding to a part of the world with such great roads and scenery if you don't get out there and enjoy them.

In previous years we've had a variety of other activities planned as well. These vary from one year to another and are down to whoever is doing the organising. Usually there's some kind of competition and a charity raffle, plus anything else that happens to be available in the area on the day.

I guess the straight answer to your question, is that it's a riding holiday, based somewhere that has great roads, with good food and an excellent bar to enjoy after each day out. What's not to like?
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #35
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Keep the bookings coming please

Room Bookings
Alan C - 3 nights - Single room
J.P & Bex - 3 nights - Superior Double Room.
MrsC_772 & AndyC_772 - 3 nights - superior double room
Rollo & Jo 3 nights - Tower room
mart64 - 3 nights - single room
BigOz -3 nights - single room
UKSurfer & Char - 3 nights (first floor easy stumbling distance to front door to allow quick access to purveyors of finest cider and pork based snacks over the road preferred)
Bigredduke - Fri/Sat nights single room pls. (I might even bring a bike this time)
Grumpy - 2 nights, single room ( I might turn upon a Ducati this time!!)
Kazza & Neil - 3 nights - Superior Double room
Stinger101 - 3 nights - Single room
Old 19-09-2016, 03:02 AM   #36
Mario

Bike: M1200s
Room Bookings
Alan C
mart64 - 3 nights
BigOz -3 nights
UKSurfer & Char - 3 nights (first floor easy stumbling distance to front door to allow quick access to purveyors of finest cider and pork based snacks over the road preferred)
Bigredduke - Fri/Sat nights single room pls. (I might even bring a bike this time)
Mario- 3 nights, double room single occupancy
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 03:06 AM   #37
Mario

Sorry, copy and paste correct this time with all bookings.

Room Bookings
Old 19-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #38
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Sorry, copy and paste correct this time with all bookings.

Room Bookings
Thanks Mario, look forward to meeting you
Old 19-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #39
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Hey Mario!

If I do come, ill bring one of my Portuguese ukuleles
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #40
Mario

Hey Dan. With that offer you must come along. Last year was great apart from the weather but this year we are going later in May, so hopefully it will better.
Old 19-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #41
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Room Bookings
Mario- 3 nights - Single room
Old 19-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #42
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Last year was great apart from the weather but this year we are going later in May, so hopefully it will better.
This is a good plan but unfortunately for me, it clashes with a provisional plan to go to the TT.
Then again, we haven't actually made the bookings yet and it may now be too late for TT 2017.
If that's the case, I'll definitely be at the weekender.
In fact, I might even pack a tent and mosey on up to Liverpool on the Monday and chance my arm at getting a ferry cancellation ticket.

Sorry that's all a bit vague and non-committal (in my familiar style) but I wanted to at least express an interest rather than say nothing.
And tbh, I think the TT plan may already be scuppered.
My weekender booking would be for 2 nights (an option on a third night would be handy), single room, and I'm quite happy to chance the £20 deposit, but don't want to be a nuisance with my shilly-shallying.
Dunno whether to copy and paste into the list on that basis or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
Hey Mario!
Careful .... someone might get roped in to playing accompaniment in a rendition of my Monster-lurve song.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #43
Char
We're all mad here

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
Hey Mario!

Arvon Ales

Regular Sunday Folk Session (2nd and 4th Sunday of every month) from 4 pm. All Welcome. A mixture of song and music (and een dance sometimes), very friendly session, all levels welcome

https://www.facebook.com/events/881201075348811/

Book your slot now!!!!
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #44
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Hi Matey, would be best to add your name and risk the deposit. Would be great to have you along. Think TT maybe booked up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
This is a good plan but unfortunately for me, it clashes with a provisional plan to go to the TT.
Then again, we haven't actually made the bookings yet and it may now be too late for TT 2017.
If that's the case, I'll definitely be at the weekender.
In fact, I might even pack a tent and mosey on up to Liverpool on the Monday and chance my arm at getting a ferry cancellation ticket.

Sorry that's all a bit vague and non-committal (in my familiar style) but I wanted to at least express an interest rather than say nothing.
And tbh, I think the TT plan may already be scuppered.
My weekender booking would be for 2 nights (an option on a third night would be handy), single room, and I'm quite happy to chance the £20 deposit, but don't want to be a nuisance with my shilly-shallying.
Dunno whether to copy and paste into the list on that basis or not.

Careful .... someone might get roped in to playing accompaniment in a rendition of my Monster-lurve song.
Old 19-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #45
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
I have no idea if this is meant to be a riding holiday or a general **** up with a bit of riding included.
It's both obviously.
1) Do you want to have the opportunity to ride some of the best roads in the UK ?
2) Do you want to have a laugh and a chat with a larger group of the UKMOC, a group that can't always get together regularly because of the spread of owners ?
3) You mentioned cost, yes that's a factor, but this is the UK, dream on if you think a nice hotel, nice food and a bank holiday weekend come cheap. Of course you can go for a weekend in Europe cheaper, but can you take your bike and ride great roads and still keep the costs down ?
4) Euro-recovery is a lot more expensive than UK-recovery if your bike breaks down.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote