UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #301
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Looking good.
That now looks a lot more like my '93.

'

I'm planning on taking mine for blast cleaning and a primer layer of powder coat on Friday.
Old 21-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #302
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Getting on well

Its moving back along well now.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #303
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

And some more

Last edited by Albie; 25-05-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Old 22-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #304
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
It's looking good mate, coming together really well now. So when are you hoping to finish it?
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #305
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
It's looking good mate, coming together really well now. So when are you hoping to finish it?
For next spring is important but before that hopefully this end of summer for next year weekender
Old 22-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #306
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Your usual attention to detail! looks bloody great Albie.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #307
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Your usual attention to detail! looks bloody great Albie.
That sir means a lot
Just like having a new bike again. Boring maybe but a pleasure to some I know it won't be perfect as missing some unobtainable exhausts but you never know and maybe some termis will suffice
Old 22-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #308
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

The devils in the detail mate. Superb.
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #309
Cobra88

looks better than new
Old 22-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #310
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Now that frame colour looks spot on to me. Perhaps now when I tell people that gold powdercoat ltends to look brown they will listen, but tbh yours wasn't that bad but still not right. Looks amazing now though.

Although I still can't understand your desire to re-use the original fasteners, replated. In the name of originality. They were crap the first time round!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #311
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Now that frame colour looks spot on to me. Perhaps now when I tell people that gold powdercoat ltends to look brown they will listen, but tbh yours wasn't that bad but still not right. Looks amazing now though.

Although I still can't understand your desire to re-use the original fasteners, replated. In the name of originality. They were crap the first time round!
My fasteners to be fair were all very good condition as to why they cleaned up well. Often they get abused by peeps using poor fitting allen keys or lack of grease of cleaning. Almost every bolt undid and were greased.

There are various reasons to reuse.
Originality
No pennies to pay out for stainless and then not correct length or too much thread just bolts gathered in a pot make of them what you will seller. Plating is very reasonable and good if you know the right people.
Restorations come in many types.
Original as in painted parts and patina just kept roadworthy and serviceable (my TT500 )

Full nut and bolt restoration using original parts supplied by manufacturer as factory intended ( me )and making it good as new as far as parts are available

Restoration of a tatty or decent vehicle to a high standard preserving it from being unroadworthy using parts of any make and paint finishes as desired

Custom as in making something better or the same or even lesser making the vehicle unique and being roadworthy with less parts or better parts than as fitted as standard.
Old 23-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #312
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yes, I think with hindsight 'I don't understand' is too strong. I fully appreciate what you're doing to this bike, in making it 'factory fresh'. For me personally I would take the rebuild as an opportunity to 'improve' and make it better both aesthetically and performance wise rather than just to 'restore it'. But I know only too well how quickly that can get out of hand and budget!

The correct bolts can of course be sourced, as you know but its a case of knowing exactly what you want spec wise and 'screws vs bolts' and can be time consuming etc.
Old 23-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #313
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Yes, I think with hindsight 'I don't understand' is too strong. I fully appreciate what you're doing to this bike, in making it 'factory fresh'. For me personally I would take the rebuild as an opportunity to 'improve' and make it better both aesthetically and performance wise rather than just to 'restore it'. But I know only too well how quickly that can get out of hand and budget!

The correct bolts can of course be sourced, as you know but its a case of knowing exactly what you want spec wise and 'screws vs bolts' and can be time consuming etc.
I have already been there modding my bikes. Still am on scrambler. S4 m900 m1100s. I do enjoy the custom side but something inside me is a restorer of things that were abused It was a dead donkey when I got it. I still have value in it if I sold it finished but I won't be. It's actually quite hard for me not to want to modify but I am sticking to my guns.
Old 23-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #314
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The urge to modify can be strong with these things, so I respect your resolve to stick to the original scope and not compromise the build. I'm reminded of my Laverda rebuild which I was determined to re-use as much as possible with things like the fuse box and junction boxes which were bakerlite with brass fittings.

I gave up in the end in the name of reliability because the porcelain fuses (remember those) kept vibrating loose and the ignition trigger wires kept coming out so I fitted modern style blade fuses and proper connectors.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Old 23-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #315
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
The urge to modify can be strong with these things, so I respect your resolve to stick to the original scope and not compromise the build. I'm reminded of my Laverda rebuild which I was determined to re-use as much as possible with things like the fuse box and junction boxes which were bakerlite with brass fittings.

I gave up in the end in the name of reliability because the porcelain fuses (remember those) kept vibrating loose and the ignition trigger wires kept coming out so I fitted modern style blade fuses and proper connectors.
No I understand the need to update certain advantageous things. I will get electronic ignition on my RD 250 as its a year older than ones that had them Reliability is key