UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Rear shock

Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
Wasta

Bike: M900
Rear shock

I'm looking at the Hagon ZDM900M rear shock for my M900. It's basic but much better than the sponge I have currently (Original Showa). the price looks good £250 delivered.

I have been offered a new YSS Z1 for £300 Also a Nitron R1 for £372

I'm on a tight budget, so is the YSS or Nitron worth the extra money?

The bike is used for road only and probably only does 1000-ish miles a year.

Edit to change shock name to YSS

Last edited by Wasta; 04-12-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Wasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Flip

I have no experience of either as a monoshock (my old race bike originally had Hagons on when I bought it though) but you can get the YSS one new (presuming the one you have been offered is second hand) for only a little more:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/ducati/m...ies_monoshock/

One thing that I have noticed though is that the YSS one has holes in the pre-load adjusting ring meaning that with the very limited access to the top of the shock when fitted makes adjustment a lot easier than a 'C' spanner which the Hagon uses.

Also the Hagon has a stainless body and the YSS looks to be anodised Aluminium so I guess you pays ya money and takes ya choices.

The Hagon option:

https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catal...?partno=M60033

I know you're on a budget but I really can't recommend Nitron shocks enough- I've had mine on my 900 for eleven years now and it looks as good as new after having it serviced- they even corrected a little design fault and fitted a new top free of charge so their customer service is about as good as it gets too. They'll even fit a black spring if you don't like their trademark turquoise.

Worth thinking about at least:
http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_it...9&prodID=73975

Before the service:

Measuring Pre-Load:

Fully serviced and looking new after eleven years:

Last edited by Flip; 04-01-2017 at 05:18 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Wasta

Thanks for the reply. All prices are for new shocks.
There's no rush as the bikes been put away for the winter. What you say about the anodised body makes sense though.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Flip

No worries if I can help with anymore information let me know and I'll try but I know there are plenty here that run Nitron's on their Monsters (and Utopia has a Hagon on his Dommie for a direct comparison).

If I were you and I had room, I would probably begin dismantling things and cleaning everything up in preparation while saving for the Nitron- the time will be a good 'bonding session' and when Spring comes a lovely new shock to enjoy your bike with even more.

Another thing worth noting is the Hagon (based in the UK) is fitted with a spring they say covers average weight riders (much as the original is supposed to), the Wemoto website doesn't mention spring weight and being based and made in Thailand customer service may be erratic (you could always badger Jerry for help there ).

Whereas Nitron who are also based in the U.K. (Oxford) only fit springs designed for your weight and riding style- I had a slightly heavier spring fitted when I had my shock serviced due to putting on a few pounds over the ten years.

Quality and service seldom come cheap so as I say, ya pays ya money........
Old 04-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yes, I have a Hagon on the Dommie and a Nitron on the M750.
I've had the Nitron for 7 or 8 yrs, the Hagon slightly longer.
I'm happy with the performance of both.
Don't read too much into that though .. I may not be the most competent judge of rear suspension performance and anyway, its not like I race around on the Dommie.
In terms of external build quality though, the Nitron is the clear winner.
I particularly like its square-form body thread for the preload adjuster ring, which also has tommy-bar holes rather than c-spanner castellations and this is a far better system in my view.
Both have held up reasonably well over time. The Nitron wins here but then the monster gets coddled in the winter while the Dommie braves the salt.

Is the bike a keeper ?
If so, I would go for the Nitron.
If not, the Hagon will do a fine job and save some cash.

Do you ever carry a pillion ?
My Nitron has a remote preload adjuster which enables simple adjustment between solo settings and something more suitable for carrying a pillion or heavy luggage.
I don't use it often but when I do its priceless.
And its handy for experimenting with minor adjustments to rear ride height/ steering angle, or perhaps sharpening up the steering for a trackday.
I mention all this because I got my remote adjuster at half price in a Christmas deal from HPS .. a deal which they often repeat and I believe its on offer this Christmas too.

...in fact I have the same system on the Dommie/Hagon as well, but had to pay full price.
It came in extremely handy when I had to fetch multiple bags of building sand from the local B&Q. (I don't run a car anymore).

ps. I can't remember now but I would have thought that Hagon would be very much able to supply a spring tailored to your body weight.

Last edited by utopia; 04-12-2016 at 02:34 PM..
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Wasta

Well, after some thought about your inputs I'm ordering a YSS shock. What you both said makes sense and for just a few quid more the YSS does seem to be much better value.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
YSS are very well made , manufactured in Thailand they have a good reputation ,Owners are germans or dutch i believe based in thailand

i have an M Factory shock on my M750 and an Ohlins on the S4
Old 20-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Wasta

Well I've bitten the bullet and decided to get the Ohlin shock for my Monster, ordered today. I suppose I'll have to upgrade the front now!
Old 20-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasta View Post
Well I've bitten the bullet and decided to get the Ohlin shock for my Monster, ordered today. I suppose I'll have to upgrade the front now!
May I ask you why you have chosen the Ohlins instead of the other two previously discussed? What is the price comparison like? I ask as I plan to change my rear too...
Old 20-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
Flip

Quote:
Yep!! You definitely will, as sorting the rear out will highlight just how bad the front is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
May I ask you why you have chosen the Ohlins instead of the other two previously discussed?
I wondered that too.....
Old 21-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #11
Wasta

I ordered the shock via Demon Tweaks, I decided to pay the extra for a quality brand name ( It may prove to be the same standard as the other two I considered.). I may be throwing pearls before swine, but I just fancied a bit of bling for the bike...And it's a yellow spring!

I am hoping the fact it carries the Ohlins name and components it will serve me well over the years I have the bike, I love riding it and am looking forward to a velvety ride.
Old 22-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
Dukedesmo

Nice one!

I've got an Ohlins rear on the Monster (and 916).

Bought mine from Harris with the correct springing for my weight. When I fitted it the sag etc. was correct and, despite all the adjustability, I've not felt the need to adjust it since as it just seems spot-on as supplied.

I did make a bracket to fit the remote canister under the seat as per the M900S fitment as I didn't like it on the side of the frame and the one criticism I have is that the hose connecting the shock to the remote is a bit long to fit this way neatly.

So when I ever get it serviced/rebuilt I'll probably get the hose shortened but I guess it needs to be that long if you go for frame mounting?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #13
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
I ordered the shock via Demon Tweaks, I decided to pay the extra for a quality brand name ( It may prove to be the same standard as the other two I considered.). I may be throwing pearls before swine, but I just fancied a bit of bling for the bike...And it's a yellow spring!

I am hoping the fact it carries the Ohlins name and components it will serve me well over the years I have the bike, I love riding it and am looking forward to a velvety ride.
Did you choose the DU46?
Old 22-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #14
Wasta

I think it's the STX46. It also has the code S46DR1. Nour remote adjuster but one can be fitted if required.
Old 22-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #15
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
I think it's the STX46. It also has the code S46DR1. Nour remote adjuster but one can be fitted if required.
Looks like a tasty piece of kit! I look forward to hearing about your fitting and first impressions on the road.