UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » Wanted - M900 swingarm end plate, right hand.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Wanted - M900 swingarm end plate, right hand.

Std/oem end plate/chain adjuster in gold (for ally swingarm).
Just the end plate .. I have the internal block.
Does anyone have one lying around ?
I currently have two left handers, which works ok but isn't really "right".
I've scoured ebay for months but they don't seem to come up.
I could buy aftermarket billet ones but the originals kinda suit my bike so I fancy sticking with them.
Ta.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

I might have two Right Handers, as if you are looking at the back of the bike.

It might be a couple of weeks till I can check but I will do a swap if you are interested?

Yorkie
Old 09-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

That would be perfect.
One of my lefthanders is better than the other tbh, but I could swap you the good one.
No hurry ... as and when you get to it.

...and that will be a part from yet another club member that finds its way on to my bike.
Its an ever growing, kinda accidental collection which I have increasing fondness for.
Ought to do a thread, I suppose.
Old 20-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Still looking for one of these.
Old 20-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Sorry mate, all my bike stuff is in North Wales and I am still in Wiltshire.

Yorkie
Old 05-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Hopeful bump ... still looking.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Darkness

I've got a spare pair since I scrapped an alloy swingarm with a dodgy welded repair .
PM me your address and I'll get it in the post to you.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Blimey, that would be brilliant.
I have to admit that when you first posted pics of the damaged swingarm I did wonder about enquiring, but I decided that the damage was probably not bad enough to scrap the arm.
If your sure that it is though, I'd be well chuffed with the endcaps.
pm sent.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Darkness

Plates now in the post to you. Not perfect, but hopefully of more use to you.

If not, feel free to pass them on.

I scrapped the arm last week as with a forging cracked at the pivot I wouldn't feel safe on it and wouldn't risk anyone else using it either.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Nice one ... thanks.
I'm not after perfect .. although I like to keep her tidy, this is a working bike and I don't mind a bit of patina .. I'm sure they'll be great.

At one point I got to considering spending best part of £100 on some carbon ones, but I now think that was madness.
Tbh, the standard ones are as good as anything and they retain an element of originality.
And tbh, I rather like the little flashes of gold against the polished ally swinger.

While I'm on the subject, I did modify the chain adjuster bolts, changing them for stainless studs with ti nyloc nuts for the adjustment.
The advantage of this is that the nyloc nuts make it virtually impossible to accidentally lose your wheel alignment during stripdowns, maintenance etc.
It also guards against the chain side adjuster slackening off and allowing the end cap to rotate and foul the sprocket .. as has been known to happen.

Thanks again.
Chuffed.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I made some new adjuster bolts from threaded rod with S/S cap nuts seized on. I drilled the forward end to take a small split pin.
The originals have a small screw and washer in the end, presumably to stop the bolt falling out? But as you say, if they are only slightly loose the end caps will turn and go straight into the sprocket nuts!!!

Might re-make them in Ti one day.
Old 26-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

I had a closer look at my modified chain adjusters.
The stainless studs are held solid in the internal adjuster blocks with a stainless half-nut (locknut).
There's room for this without it fouling the inside of the swingarm end cap .. or at least there's plenty with my particular sprocket/chain length combo.
In fact, the studs are hollow .. but only because I'd made them for an earlier job that got redesigned. There's no stress on them though, so why not save a smidgeon of unsprung weight ?
The adjuster nuts are titanium, flange, nylock nuts, bought cheaply from china .. I just had to wait a long time.
I initially modded them this way in order to prevent the possibility of the original adjuster bolts loosening and allowing the swingarm end caps to swing into the sprocket for a good mangling .. apparently not uncommon.
A secondary but still very useful benefit was that it was easy to maintain chain adjustment, as the nylock nuts are always tight on the studs, even when the wheel is removed.
I later realised that a third benefit was that the working threads were now stainless on titanium instead of the original plated steel in ally, and therefore less subject to wear.
And, I don't know how useful it is but you can remove an endcap with the wheel still in situ if you like ... I did it the other week, mid-run, to show Gazza the gubbins inside.
Only downside is that you have to have a bit of spare stud sticking out the end of the swingarm caps for adjustment, rather than the neater looking bolt heads of the original system .. but its a small price to pay for a mechanically better system, in my opinion.

I know .. the usual lack of pics .. sorry.

Actually, I only really started writing this because I wanted to say that I now have a proper pair of endcaps .. thanks to Darkness.
His insistence that any payment should be in the form of inwardly reflected club goodwill was priceless, and added significant value to an otherwise humble piece of ally.
Nice.