UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Nyamobhs

Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Fentible

Nyamobhs

Not yet a monster owner but hopefully soon!

Just popped in to say hello, I've joined the forum as I'm on the look out for a nice, well maintained 2002-04 900/1000.............if anyone's selling? Budgeting around £2.5 -3K. Ive looked at a couple in dealers and the current crop on ebay but would prefer to buy direct from an owner.

On a more personal note I'm no stranger to motorcycles having owned, ridden, crashed, rebuilt, cursed and enjoyed a variety of marques since my dad brought a dismantled royal Enfield crusader home when I was 11. God was that really 46 years ago.....aaagghhh!!

Any way to date, the current stable includes a 98 Speed Triple, love this bike to bits and no chance of me ever selling it, a 1984 naked BMW K100 which is a bit of a project. Finally a 1986 GPZ1000Rx which has been turned from a bit of a rough old girl into a showroom piece over 4 years and from which I'm scared to add up all the receipts! Its this later piece I'm looking to replace with a Monster because I know it will simply get consigned to very sunny day ride outs and very few miles between MOT's. Its a bike I nearly bought in the eighties, I loved their aggressive looks and the sheer power

Why a Monster?? I've never owned a Ducati, read loads of good reports about the monsters, they suit my preferred riding position and I really like the individualistic nature they exude. Im a bit specific on the model year because I'm after the newest I can get that's inside my multi-bike policy for 10+ year old bikes.

Cheers all

Fent
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Scotty

hey up,

you should be able to get something quite nice for that age / price

got my 900ss with all the bells and whistles from M&S a few years ago for 3.5 if I remember correctly
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Drumnagorrach

Hi mate.
I got a M900 an 02 a few weeks ago,I probably similar age to yourself and started out in 1970 with a 52 sprung hub thunderbird,various Japs Yanks and Germans since then spending last 10 years with Guzzi's.
You will love a Duc,I only just got out on mine on friday after weeks of really salty /sharnie roads.
Bloody amazing engine,and mines only a two valver,lord knows how a four valve picks up.
I keep thinking WHY DIDN'T I GET ONE YEARS AGO.
Glad I got one now.I'm sure you will just love the grunt when you open the throttle.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Fentible

Cheers Scotty , went up to Ian bells yesterday to look at the one they are advertising. Well it was okay(ish) but they clearly have a different definition of 'minter' to me. Also looking at one on ebay albeit from a dealer. Ticks a lot of boxes but a little on the dear side (IMHO) for a 2001 bike.

Drumnagorrach, it was actually your post I read first on here and I'm hoping, like you, I can find a well cared for, forum owner sale. My mate has a 1994 monster he bought from new and I doubt he'll ever part with so that says it all for me really.

No hurry though, I'd rather wait for the right bike to turn up. And maybe I can realise a decent price for the GPZ. I know they are not a specifically sought after model and I've spent way more money and time than it will ever be worth but it is like new and in the best colour (black and graphite).

Just passed its MOT and first time on the road since 1994.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Welcome along.
You'll not be disappointed when you do get a monster.
Had mine 7yrs now. Its been a keeper pretty much since the day I bought it.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello and Welcome..Good luck with your Monster hunt.

I don't know anything about Kawasakis, but I do know a nicely built and prepared bike when I see one...You've done a smashing job to it.

Don't under sell it whatever you do, thats definately worth the top money.

Given what a nice job you have done with the kawasaki, I would spend less money on an earlier Monster and budget for some tidying up jobs.

The earlier ones (Especially pre ie) are much simpler to mend and operate, and will probably do the most appreciating over the coming years.

I should explain that I am a big fan of the first generation 2 valve Monsters, broadly speaking that's the ones with the "hoop" on the rear suspension.

Plenty of owners of later Monsters on here will tell you that they are great too...So I will be interested to see what you get......Keep us posted...
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
Fentible

Thanks utopia, I think it always speaks volumes about a bike when people tend to hang onto them.

Mr Gazza, many thanks for your kind comments, just listed it on ebay but I also have a few work interests to pursue.
I have thought about a cosmetically challenged bike and in truth I wouldn't rule it out. My mate has the early version, bought from new with no intention to get rid. Are there pros and cons to 2 v 4 valve or air v water cooled on these models??
Old 09-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Hi and welcome

I immediately thought of Steevvvooos bike but then saw your ins policy caveat. Oh well, you came to the right place
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
Fentible

Thanks Dirty, was that the 2007 s2r?? I did look at it and it is nice but I really need to be in the sub 3K, plus it will impact my Ins policy. Even being of the more mature years (old G*t) doesn't bring all the insurance advantages I'd like.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentible View Post
Thanks Dirty, was that the 2007 s2r?? I did look at it and it is nice but I really need to be in the sub 3K, plus it will impact my Ins policy. Even being of the more mature years (old G*t) doesn't bring all the insurance advantages I'd like.
Possibly same one, it's an 06 and £3,400 here

Insurance companies are the work of the devil!
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote