UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Avoiding dropping my precious bike

Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Queline

Avoiding dropping my precious bike

I am a new 'biker' and even newer Monster owner (S2R)
Any tips on how to keep the bike upright when stationary slow manouevres and when trying to push it around parking etc, I've had a few heartstopping moments!!!!
I suppose benchpressing a few weights would help my feeble girlie muscles but any tips would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Hi, really I guess it's just practise. Remember your training and remember to look where you want the bike to go. Try not to stop on a camber or over a pot hole where your foot should go! To be honest, once it's gone over the point of no return just try to be gentle! Most drop their bikes. Don't worry!

I rarely push the bike, I always paddle it, that way I feel more in control and I think it gives better balance.

Take your time too and don't be rushed. If it feels wrong then take a minute, breathe and try again when you're ready.

When I first passed, I was very nervous about riding alone but I put in a few hours as and when, just riding around, took him into carparks and in to town and then out into the country to get used to how he handles.

Now, I crave those few hours when I can.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Gilps

Make sure you have a friend with you and just practice moving it about. When I am off the bike moving it about, I find it best to let my leg take the weight with the tank resting on it, just cover the front brake to stop it sliding away from you. The big mistake is to try to keep it dead upright and balancing whilst you move it. It only has to tip the other way a little and then it's going away from you. Not much you can do at that stage.
Don't be afraid to get off the bike to move it either. I'm quite short so sometimes when I have ridden into a parking space, to get the bike out I manouevre it whilst off the bike, point it in the right direction, then off I go.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
SazzaG

Welcome!

Also being a girlie (and a short one at that), I sympathise with you - I once dropped mine up at Bury Hill when wheeling it backwards (in front of lots of people).

The tips I have are always keep the brake in reach, lean it slightly towards you, and practice!

By the way, I'm your friendly Sussex rep, so I hope to see you out and about. Keep an eye on the forum for events going on (weather permitting of course!).

Saz
Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Hi queline
welcome to

I hate to say it but most new bikers drop their bikes.
The good thing about a Monster is that there are no fairings to ruin.
If you are really worried I would get a set of R&G crash bungs so damage is limited.

Slow speed manoeuvres are generally tricky - get off the bike and push it if you need to! A lot of ladies find Daytona Ladystar boots helpful - they add about an inch to your height and it is easier to paddle the bike.

The best way to learn how not to drop it is by experience - get out there and ride. It will eventually become easier.

Have fun.
Anne x
Old 03-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps View Post
I'm quite short .
Understatement

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
At low and very low speeds don't wave your legs around like a waddling half paddling duck, not only does it look so uncool it also keeps moving your point of balance and generally unsettles the plot.
Get used to lifting your feet up and then you can use you knees and feet pushing down on the pegs and small steering input to keep you balanced. Keep gentle power on and be very gentle with the clutch throttle and brakes. Unless you feel like you in instant danger of falling over then you can put a foot down once you've stopped the bike.
Does it work? Used to be what we got all the kiddies to do on the old RAC/ACU training scheme, we also used to take perverse delight in doing very tight figure of eights round the cones on a Gold wing at sub walking pace.
Proper form is clutch out feet up, bike stops feet down
Moving the bike 'by hand' keep it just off vertical and towards you, it's not about strength but subtlety of balance.
Personally I always park up so I'm aiming where I want to go later, it saves embarrassment. You learn from bitter experience that any bike triples its weight when it's lying down and all available grab points become totally inaccessible !!
Practice out of sight somewhere its easy really.

Oh alternative is never go slow anywhere any time, Chappers can tell you all about that one LOL
Old 03-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
MrsJel

Hate to say it too

As everyone else has said - when you're moving the bike around - just take your time. If you're not happy - practice somewhere with someone the other side of the bike if it helps you (my hubby always has big bikes usually with a centre stand, so when he does get a new one he stands the other side of the bike while I put it on and off the stand a few times). When you're stopping, have a quick look around you - and if you can remember your training. Parking up can be something else, again just take your time and think about what you're doing and how you're going to get out again! If you do need some height - I'd definitely look at the Ladystars (mine are 4 years old like comfy slippers now and I wouldn't be without them).

Really sorry - it is definitely experience that helps most. Better share my first "drop" - first week riding my first big bike, parked bike downhill, not in gear, it rolled off its stand and onto its side (seems so obvious now). A bloke helped me to pick it up and he told me I should get a smaller bike (imagine that), I moved it to face up-hill then a traffic warden told me I was in a disabled space!

You'll find that nearly everyone has done something stupid at some time its best not to worry about it - enjoy your riding.

Carole
Old 03-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford View Post
Understatement
I'm going to report you for being size-ist.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
all the above is excellent advice, but remember that the engine is like a big gyroscope when it's spinning, so don't be afraid to rev it and slip the clutch when you're doing low speed manouvers. It really helps keep the bike upright.

Enjoy and be safe!

Oh, and welcome to the club!

Last edited by JerryXt; 03-10-2007 at 08:16 PM..
JerryXt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Bit drastic but it worked for me
Attached Images
File Type: gif arse-end.gif (80.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 AM   #12
Gimley

Bite point

Good point by Jerry.
When going slow on mine I keep my feet firmly planted on pegs, rev a little higher and pull the clutch in to biting point and more or less use that to control the speed with a little bit of rear brake..Should be just like you were taught to do your U turns on your training. Bike is a lot more stable when its got drive going to the rear wheel.

Im only 5' 3" so have difficulty paddling the bike around. I do like others have said above and look ahead at where and how I want to park. Take my time and push it if I think it will help. Dont care what anyone else might think because, hey, its my bike and I want to keep it looking new.

If all else fails do as GT did and put bloody great stabilizers on it
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #13
Queline

Wow loads of great advice , Tx

No doubt will be back for more tips!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #14
spm23

Avoid low speed as much as possible
Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #15
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
All the advice is right on. And the only real solution for slow speed manouvering is practice. I flippin hate it and even after a year and lots of training I still look like a complete novice at slow speed turning, I'm ok in a straight line and find that with a little bit of revs and plenty of back brake you will find the control coming back to you.
And as for moving it around by hand, make sure you leant he bike into you, that way hopefully any lean in the bike can be caught by your body quickly, if it's away from you & it goes, you're buggered !

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote