UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Morning! New 696 owner

Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
itguy

Morning! New 696 owner

Good morning all

I've been a member on here for a little while but have only just bought a Monster.

I recently sold my 848 (my first Duke) as I just need couldn't get on with the full on sportsbike riding position and I always felt as though my skills didn't quite match the performance of the machine, making me feel a bit intimidated by it every time I rode.

So - I sat down and thought hard about what bikes I've owned over the years and which ones I most enjoyed riding. My old Honda Hornet 600 (S plate, early one) won in my mind, however having owned a Duke I just knew I couldn't consider a Honda again.

So - I've bought a 696. I know it's not going to be the fastest bike ever, but that's part of the attraction for me. It may be that I want to sell in a year and upgrade to a 796 or 1100 Evo, but for now this is me going back to my grass roots of just having plain, simple fun.

So, the bike. Well, I bought it from a car dealer who took it in as p/x. It's tidy (needs a bit of degreaser and polish), but has the right Termi's on and is 1 owner from new. 8.8k miles, FSH etc etc. Also as a bonus it has come with the DP tailpack (the zip-off one).

As it's a few miles away from home I'm getting it transported home on Monday/Tuesday next week so I'm a little bit excited as you can imagine!

I now need to lock my credit card away as I keep buying things.

Have already picked up the official comfort touring seat (to save my gentlemen) off ebay and a new paddock stand (for the double swing arm). I've also bought some China-special adjustable levers in black (soon to be gold from what I hear) and red.

I do fancy a carbon king heat shield for the manifold pipe, and the DP carbon heatsheilds for the exhausts too, but I must resist!

Anyway, some really rubbish pics... better photos when I get the bike here!

Last edited by itguy; 11-07-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
itguy

good god - is there a way I can make those photos display smaller or auto-resize?!?!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Morning and welcome to ownership. It'll be great fun for the summer and the 696 is nimble, light and great fun. If you need and help or advice just let us know.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Cobra88

Welcome mate

your called itguy and can't resize a pic ! (Not much of an I T guy methinks )
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
zhango

Great pics and I do mean GREAT!...but yes, in your Photobucket account if you go to 'Albums' > 'Upload Options' > 'Customise Upload Options' it looks to me like you've got ticked 'Display my linked photos in their original sizes'
I use 1024 x 768
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
itguy

Ha! Yes my name would suggest I should be able to resolve this, but I've got a decent excuse at the moment. I'm just recovering from Sepsis, Pneumonia and Myocarditis all within the space of 3 weeks, so I'm feeling a little slow!

It also means it will probably be at least 2-4 weeks until I can actually ride it!! Lots of time for cleaning and making ready though.

One quick question - is there a good dealer for mail order parts who is sensible on the postage? I'm after a couple of decals and screws etc, not wanting to pay £10 for a courier!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Try Moto Rapido in Winchester Great Guys
Say your a forum member and you get a 10% discount
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
tricky73

Hi and Welcome nice bike
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
itguy

Thanks Rollo22 - perfect
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #10