UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newbie - Stone, Staffordshire.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
wurzel

Newbie - Stone, Staffordshire.

Hello Chimps Monster M600, 02 reg, 7k miles, please let me know what to look out for, bits and bobs etc. I'm thinking of powder coating the dodgy bits.. foot rest hangers, swing arm, and maybe the engine casings. Anyone have any advice..? also the clutch and front brake master cylinder covers are corroded, whats the solution, or maybe I should just buy new ones..? Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Helloooo and welcome

I used to live not far from Stone, but now I do ! Happy memories of being refused entry to a bar there a few years back because I was wearing jeans, so I took 'em off - still didn't get in though...
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
wurzel

Sounds like the Crown and Anchor maybe!...It used to be a bikers pub in the 1970 - 80's.. the landlord retired and its gone to pot since.... literally, the last landlord got busted for dealing...
Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Wasta

Bike: M900
I lived in just outside Stafford for a few months and my Mum still does. Welcome aboard. I had the same jeans problem in a pub on the way to Rugely in the late '70s, same solution as B-B. I never went back. What was it with jeans and long hair that was such a problem around Stafford?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
wurzel

Thanks for your comments, but I'm sure I didnt join the forum to discuss the local pub that has a dress code issue
Old 12-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Thanks for your comments, but I'm sure I didnt join the forum to discuss the local pub that has a dress code issue
Only talking about it because we've got nothing to look at...
Old 12-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
wurzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
Only talking about it because we've got nothing to look at...
Only a bog M600 mate.. me missus has other priorities rather than flashing her tits while straddling it unfortunately, ithat wouldnt be a pretty sight anyway.. ..!
Old 13-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Dirty

Hi mate

Powder coat those bits if you like. No harm there but you might want to consider some rearsets rather than spend money on the originals. I'm likely to get my swing arm done at some point but I'm lucky in that my engine casings are fine. I do have similar corrosion on my brake and clutch covers but am not planning on addressing that. Have brake upgrades in mind one day and it's only surface corrosion so nothing to fret about. I might give them a quick clean up with a gentle wire brush then a squirt of satin black one day when I'm bored.

We still want pics, bog standard or not. Missus, tits in or out is optional
Old 13-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
wurzel

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Hi mate

Powder coat those bits if you like. No harm there but you might want to consider some rearsets rather than spend money on the originals. I'm likely to get my swing arm done at some point but I'm lucky in that my engine casings are fine. I do have similar corrosion on my brake and clutch covers but am not planning on addressing that. Have brake upgrades in mind one day and it's only surface corrosion so nothing to fret about. I might give them a quick clean up with a gentle wire brush then a squirt of satin black one day when I'm bored.

We still want pics, bog standard or not. Missus, tits in or out is optional
Dirty, thanks! .. I thought about rear sets, but do they come with pillion pegs..I think not? I'm trying to get my 13 year old daughter to go on the back so I can drop her off on the school run, so thats why im thinking of the powder coating option. Overall the bike is in decent condition, though I can see a small amount of bubbling under the engine cases. Is it ok to powder coat these or is there another option..?
I've not seen the missus's tits for ages, but when I do, i'll grab a photo!
Old 14-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Dirty

Most rear set makers will offer a removable pillion option for a few extra £.

I'm no expert and someone may correct me but I don't think powder coating the casings is recommended as the process would get paint on the inside as well as the outside of the casing. A can or 2 of engine paint is probably best or if you are feeling brave strip all the old paint off and polish the bare metal.
Old 15-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
wurzel

Most engine covers are powder coated, its simlar to paint spraying but with oven baking afterwards that melts the powder granules into one even coat so should be no probs. I like to keep to the original spec as much as poss as i'm hoping to upgrade next year ( from experience I will not lose as much money! I will get the original footrest hangers powder coated anyway as it makes sense but may fit rearsets while I keep the bike..
Old 15-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
Dirty

Yes that's true. Powder coating involves plugging whatever is to be painted in and using the electrical charge to attract the paint as powder. I guess you can mask off areas in the same way as you would with 'normal' paint.