UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Shindengen R/R update; S4 fitting annoyances and lithium battery info

Old 14-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #16
DaveR

Bike: S4r
Great post, it's a pity I hadn't taken on board the difference between shunt & series RRs before I got my replacement. At least I had understood about all the fakes about & got a s/h genuine SH020

I was able to get it in the original position with a bracket I made up, maybe the seat on an S4R is a little different. However the cables take a very tortured route & with all the heat they generate, I might look at repositioning underneath as yours.
Dave
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #17
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Same position as yours Spuggy. I wasn't taking any chances as the original burst into flames. Luckily in traffic at the time so could smell the smoke/feel my asre getting hotter! At motorway speed I might not have been so lucky.......

Your side panel is fitted the wrong way. The screw should go the other way around and the cover should be under the tab not over it. Just saying

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #18
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
Great post, it's a pity I hadn't taken on board the difference between shunt & series RRs before I got my replacement. At least I had understood about all the fakes about & got a s/h genuine SH020
I've not seen anyone here complain that the Monster burnt out the stator (which is where the shunts get rid of the excess current - right back into the windings, heating them up).

The GSX guys were apparently re-winding or replacing stators every couple of years - or burning up their wiring/connectors.

You have the link cable. If you decide to go for a Series RR later, most of them are a direct replacement for the FET shunts (although the SH847 is massive).

The suffix on the Shindengen part # indicates the connector; the "A" denotes that Furuwaka connector, so a "AA" indicates one that plugs straight into the link cable - these seem the most plentiful/cheap anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
I was able to get it in the original position with a bracket I made up, maybe the seat on an S4R is a little different. However the cables take a very tortured route & with all the heat they generate, I might look at repositioning underneath as yours.
Dave
I think that bracket would have worked on the S4 as well (tight though - eh?).

I did consider it, but decided putting it in free air just seemed like a good idea.

There's plenty of slack in the cables where it ended up, easy to get at/undo the connectors etc.

Plus I didn't have materials/tools etc available to make a bracket - but it was straightforward to order a couple of bolts/washers/nuts etc and borrow a drill with a M6 bit
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #19
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Your side panel is fitted the wrong way. The screw should go the other way around and the cover should be under the tab not over it. Just saying
I spotted it already and freekin knew I wouldn't get away with it!!!!!!!!
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #20
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Same position as yours Spuggy. I wasn't taking any chances as the original burst into flames. Luckily in traffic at the time so could smell the smoke/feel my asre getting hotter! At motorway speed I might not have been so lucky.......
Sheesh... I also saw Nasher's post where his RR51 did that - and saw a photo of the aftermath to the plastic tray on a tupperware Ducati where the RR burnt a hole clear through it - and dropped out; rider didn't know anything was amiss until the dash went crazy...

It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
LOL, nice - I was trying to think of a way to phrase that diplomatically. Like "How do you undo that screw if the head is inside the side cover?"
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #21
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Sheesh... I also saw Nasher's post where his RR51 did that - and saw a photo of the aftermath to the plastic tray on a tupperware Ducati where the RR burnt a hole clear through it - and dropped out; rider didn't know anything was amiss until the dash went crazy...

It just doesn't bear thinking about.

LOL, nice - I was trying to think of a way to phrase that diplomatically. Like "How do you undo that screw if the head is inside the side cover?"
Yeah, just how did you get the screw in that way around? With great difficulty I imagine. LOL

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote