UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Talking Italian.......

Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Talking Italian.......

Okay, this is not Monster or even Ducati related but it is Italian and I know several people here own one and I'm after a few thoughts from those with experience of them please.

I'm talking Moto Guzzi's ....

For a little while now I have thought about them more and more, and in particular the California, or more specifically the 1100cc 'Vintage' edition from around 2011 which pays a kind of homage to the original smaller capacity model from the '70's.

I know not to everyone's taste but I quite fancy the idea of a lolloping cruiser that isn't American or the Japanese idea of one and on paper these tick the boxes of what I think one should be but I've never ridden one (or any other Guzzi model) and so don't really know what I'm (potentially) letting myself in for.

Thanks in advance and over to you guys.......

Last edited by Flip; 05-12-2019 at 08:42 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
That's weird! This video came up as 'recommended' for me on YouTube just yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aBd0Ccootg

Might have some useful insights.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
That's weird! This video came up as 'recommended' for me on YouTube just yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aBd0Ccootg

Might have some useful insights.
Thanks- those 1400's are proper big bikes though and too techy for me- the 2011(ish) bikes are rider mode and ABS free (although brakes are linked ala Honda I believe) so only fuel injection as far as that goes.

While out on the Monster last Friday I stopped for a cuppa and there was a chap with one of the Custom versions and he was loving it- he was a big bloke though so suited it.

Last edited by Flip; 05-12-2019 at 09:39 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
I've owned several Guzzis including a mk v lemans and a Centauro.
At present I have a 1100 Griso which was purchased new in '07. It's in the process of being fettled ( took it off the road for some maintenance 2 yrs ago and have got carried away!) after covering over 32k.
The Griso is one of the best all round bikes I've ever owned.
The cali has a similar engine ,but without the CARC single sides swinging arm. This feature is where the main difference is highlighted. The CARC removed any torque reaction from the engine being transmitted to the back wheel.
With a standard swinging arm, depending on whether the bike is traveling through a left or right hand bend as to how the rotational nature of the engine affects the handling.
Personally, Guzzis are underrated. The engines are softly tuned so go forever. Home maintenance is simple.
The handling is neutral but not sharp due to the wheel base and rake.
A call is a comfortable bike to ride distance, unlike any Harleys I've ridden.
If you can find one which ticks the boxes condition wise, go for it. You will love it.

Last edited by Grumpy; 05-12-2019 at 10:24 PM..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 AM   #5
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
i had a old mk1 cali in the 1980s it was brilliant ,, would like another ,, did not like the look of the Mk2/3 tank but they are great bikes ,, the 1400 is Too heavy and techy ,, I like the 750 classic but would like it with 900 engine ,,
Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Bike: M1100
I looked at a V7 Carbon last week, very nice, very tempted !
alan c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #7
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Gratuitous opportunity to show pic of my Guzzi 1100, opposite side of the spectrum admittedly, the ECU was the main issue with injected Guzzi's. Although by 2011 they should have sorted the issue. Bloody loved mine, goes into the "wish I had never sold" category along with my 1974 z900.........

alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
rbt1548

Bike: M900sie
Hi Flip.
I have had, up til now 5 Guzzis,

My £75 Mk1 Le Mans
V11 Le Mans
1000S
Bellagio
T3,

Each one is different, but inherently the same, if you know what I mean. They are all fairly easy to work on apart from a clutch change as it's a bit of a pain to get to but you can 'crab' the frame, (unbolt bottom rails and a few other bits and lift the frame up leaving engine sitting there!), not so hard as it sounds. People mention Italian Electrics, they are no worse of than any other bike if you look after them, ensuring connectors are clean and not damaged etc. Relay's can be a bugbear but change them for some from Pyro Dan in US, dirt cheap and really good quality.

I am going to contradict myself here, on the Bellagio, and possibly I think the early Griso, Grumpy may confirm more, there can be instrument panel gremlins, I think it's to do with dampness but there is a workaround by drilling a couple of wee holes in the bottom corner of the cluster. If you go for an early one change the switch gear for Triumph starter on the right and Yamaha for lights etc., as the early switch gear, (lego), is not very sturdy at the least! I have wiring diagrams to do this but it's simple.

As mentioned they will go on for ever if, like everything else, they are looked after.
If you are looking for a comfortable tourer an early Cali or variant, but stay away from those with chrome wheels as they put the chrome on top of the alloy rims and the chrome flakes, I can't remember what years but I can find out easily.
The big Cali, the 1400, is exactly that, BIG, and from reading reports it take about 2 hours to remove the rear wheel as a lot of the bike has to be worked on.

I know of a couple that are probably for sale, a lovely Ballabio at a decent price and a Daytona similar to Alan s4's.

My head if full of useless gumpf regarding Guzzis sorry,and there are few good forums, http://www.guzziriders.org/forums.html being one, and there are others too some worldwide.

The spares situation is very good with mostly enthusiasts running spares shops, Gutsibits in UK springs to mind.

Sorry about my droning on!, and sorry for, like Alan, a gratuitous link to my 1000S on the day I sold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEu0...ature=youtu.be

1965 BSA Lightning Clubman
1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie
rbt1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
rbt1548

Double post , sorry!!!!!

1965 BSA Lightning Clubman
1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie

Last edited by rbt1548; 06-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Double post
rbt1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have an 1100 Breva,
Very comfortable seat and riding position,
The 1100 engine isn't that powerful and the bike is quite heavy so acceleration isn't amazing, but lazy torque makes for comfortable cruising.
Doesn't like being hustled at speed down bendy roads the way a monster does, but sits all day on long straight roads at 80 - 85 in comfort.
Looks good, sounds good, feels good, and it was cheap to buy!

Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt1548 View Post
People mention Italian Electrics, they are no worse of than any other bike if you look after them, ensuring connectors are clean and not damaged etc. Relay's can be a bugbear but change them for some from Pyro Dan in US, dirt cheap and really good quality.

The only electrical problem I've had was a pin snapped on the ecu.

I am going to contradict myself here, on the Bellagio, and possibly I think the early Griso, Grumpy may confirm more, there can be instrument panel gremlins, I think it's to do with dampness but there is a workaround by drilling a couple of wee holes in the bottom corner of the cluster. If you go for an early one change the switch gear for Triumph starter on the right and Yamaha for lights etc., as the early switch gear, (lego), is not very sturdy at the least!

The instrument panel did mist up when the bike was new. It was replaced under warranty. I dropped a silicone gel pack inside and have had no further problems.
The switch gear has been reliable, still original

The Griso's fuel pump is in the petrol tank. The feed pipe has a tenancy to pop off every 10k or there abouts. It's an easy fix with a new retaining clip. I'm not aware of the Cali having the same problem.

I know of a couple that are probably for sale, a lovely Ballabio at a decent price and a Daytona similar to Alan s4's.

Pm me about The Ballabio

The spares situation is very good with mostly enthusiasts running spares shops, Gutsibits in UK springs to mind.

Totally agree, whilst dealing with the official importer can be a pain for spares, Gutsbits are good guys. There is also a German company ( who's name escapes me at the mo) who are v good

Sorry about my droning on!, and sorry for, like Alan, a gratuitous link to my 1000S on the day I sold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEu0...ature=youtu.be

That's got to be on a list of ' bikes i should never of sold!'
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #12
PhilLew
600 dark

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I have an 1100 Breva set up for touring with panniers and a touring screen, absolutly love it. plenty of touque, lovely sound (after market can) and usually the only one in the car park wherever you stop so always gets looks. The only issue I've had is a common non starting bug due to the way the power to the starter is wired through the switch gear but it's an easy fix and well documented on the Guzzi forums. other than that it's been trouble free.
I also have a Triumph Bonneville America which is a cruiser style similar to the Cali, I think the Guzzi engine is perfectly suited to that style of bike, like you I wanted a cruiser that wasn't an HD
PhilLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #13
Doggy

Bike: M796
Never had a guzzi or ridden one. Now I feel like I'm missing g out!.
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

My then brother in law had a Mk1 Lemon at the turn of the 80's/90's and I had a Moto Morini 3 1/2. We used to swap rides and belt around on them. They were remarkably similar despite the size difference and I loved them both. Latin excellence!
The Lemon felt stable and predictable, roadholding was superlative. Motor and chassis were equally happy bimbling down the lanes, roaring down the A roads or being spanked through the twisties. The brakes were very good, but I wasn't too keen on smacking my knee on the pot every time I pulled them. (RH pot I think).

Guzzi T3's or California's were the ride of choice for the Norwich biker fraternity in the 80's. They were cheap then and seemed to be bulletproof, much modded and abused...Good with a chair too.

I looked for a T3 about 8 years ago, but the prices were an eye opener compared to the good ol' days!

Don't know much about the contemporary ones but the oldies are very rugged classics. Now a V7 Sport in Lime green would be the one!!

Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
Dukedesmo

Can't comment on the later Guzzis although I'd quite like a Griso but as a teenager, I lusted after (amongst other things) an 850 Le Mans which I thought was just the coolest sports bike ever.

Had to wait a few years to realise the dream and, even after all these years it doesn't disappoint.

Seems like a good opportunity to post a gratuitous pic;

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote