UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » S4 not running

Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #16
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Are the wires shielded
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #17
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Are the wires shielded
the 3 wires from the hall effect sensor which is a Bosch one are 2 copper braids and one steel braid which is the earth ,, they are not insulated from each other but their is a metal foil shield around them and then an outer black pastic ,, on the other side of the connectors there is 2 wires one blue one brown and the earth which is just a braid ,, hence the 3 way connector .

I now have the jpt connector parts on order from Polevolt UK and also the Bosch 0261210 124 Sensor £50 from Bosch £ 110 from Ducati dealers but it will be couple of weeks before i receive them ,, and im still not 100% sure if thats all the problems ,, or if the immobiliser is dodgy ,, i have got JP diag cable back from a guy i lent it to so may do some tests ????
Old 11-12-2019, 02:37 AM   #18
jerry
Old Git

whilst I wait for the parts i have stripped the bike down,,
frame , footrest mounts off to powdercoated and tail chop re welded back on , exhaust pipes and swing arm off to re-polish carbon bits to be re polished and laquered .. tank ,fairing and seat cover off to be painted maybe new colours ?????

loom off the bike so easy to work on ,, engine clutch and alternator covers to be powdercoated ,,rest of engine to be sprayed by me and have valves done and new belts easy to do valves when engine out on S4

injectors dismantled and cleaned ,, all hoses renewed ,,no electrostatic cleaning here which is a shame

many other little bits to be powdercoated or polished ,, new steering damper to be fitted have 51mm clamp for forks but need 25mm clamp for frame

Last edited by jerry; 11-12-2019 at 02:40 AM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Like your thought process Jerry.........bike doesn't run properly, perhaps a loose connection......feck it, lets strip the entire bike down to the frame and rebuild/powder coat everything from the ground up!

Pics from sunny Thailand please
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #20
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
A man has got to have a hobby
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:39 AM   #21
jerry
Old Git

Thanks guys ,, its more like I know that the bike is mechanicly sound ,, but its cosmeticly challenegd after 19 years hard work in the sun ,,,so a refresh is worth its and was always on the cards ,, as im going have to wait 2-3 weeks for parts and the list grows longer I might as well do the strip and paint etc ,

have found a place that can yellow passivate nuts bolts brackets so thats good ,,

have the crimper, connectors for Injection etc ,crank sensor and new tank pump bag filter at my dads ,, but now have to order swing arm chain protectors and special dome bolts for them as the old ones have totally worn away ???? I also need to source a 25mm clamp for steering damper to fit frame ,, ??? once all the bits are at my dads ,, Kat will post them to thailand ..

It will take longer than i thought of course ,, but it will be worth the result ,, and if it does not start at the end due to immobiliser ,, well i can bring the ECU to UK for Avanti to sort ..
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #22
jerry
Old Git

hits some snags need advice

need to remove cooling pump ,, manual says snap ring and 2 bolts and retaining clip ,, then drift out ,, but there is No retaining clip ,, tapping it and it does not seem to budge ??????

Next the swingarm ???
C clips and 8mm lock bolts removed but spindle not budging even after loads of heat and heavy hammer blows to the drift ??????

metal oil seal on oil pump in blind case wont budge not will the big seal 4'' on the clutch ??? normally that comes off easy ????
Old 12-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #23
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
For the seals I have one of theses which works OK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152712043967
Cannot help with the water pump as I have never done one
With the SA I can only suggest daily dosing with penetrating oil for about a week then heat (blowlamp on the eyes of the SA) then a length of 10mm studding a stout washer that matches the SA spindle diameter (20mm) and a socket that fits over the OD of the spindle on the other side and try to draw it out. If you are hitting it with a hammer the drift has to be soft (aluminium, copper or brass) as hitting the SA spindle can bell the end and then you are in deep doo doo.
If it was me I would insert the studding wind it up to about 100nm and heat it with the pressure still on and failing any movement use the drift - good luck
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #24
jerry
Old Git

cant get brass drifts here , its wood or ally ,, or metal on metal going to try the studded puller and heat first

i remember when i had the swingarm off in 2007 it was very difficult to remove need lots of brutal hammering ,, when put back it was greased up really good ,, i reckon its galling on aluminium swing arm to steel pin that is the issue as bearings feel great