UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » M821 opinions?

Old 24-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
rac3r

M821 opinions?

I'm just over half way through running mine in and I'm not sure on it so far. I've had a few Monster's and an SF1098 and came to the 821 from a Street Triple R but this one feels different to the other Duc's. It feels a little clumsy in traffic and I don't have much confidence in the corners, the bike is standard apart from a slip on (which I think did make it slightly smoother).

I'm not quite sure what it is!? Anyone else have any reviews/opinions of their new Monster?

This is also the bike I had my first crash on but I don't think that's why (70 miles in a cabbie wiped me out)
Old 24-09-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Moco1961

Hi there......very interested in what you say about the confidence in corners, I was saying to the guys earlier on today's ride I am having the same issue. I am delighted with the bike generally, I don't use it as a commuter so can't really comment about your thoughts in traffic however I think it's light at the front end wanting to tip in further when I am banking. I am thinking of dialling up the rear shock to get some more weight on the front end......would that work ?.
Old 24-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
what tyres on the bikes ???
Old 24-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Moco1961

Pirelli Rosso on mine Jerry,
Old 24-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
rac3r

Yeah whatever is standard fit

I don't know how to explain it really, I just don't have the confidence to chuck the bike into a bend like I did on the STR. I'm fairly light so I'm guessing the suspension is set up a little hard but then at the same time the front does dive quite a bit under braking. Don't get me wrong I don't even ride that hard!

The bars are a bit of a stretch but I'm not sure if that adds to it??

Also as its not run in yet I've been riding it under 6k etc and I've only used Touring mode
Old 24-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
Cousin it

my 821 originally felt a little like you mention,
After reading this article I dropped the front by 3mm and set the rear spring length to 160mm with 1.5 turns of rebound and it rides with a lot more confidence now.
Old 25-09-2017, 05:34 AM   #7
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin it View Post
my 821 originally felt a little like you mention,
After reading this article I dropped the front by 3mm and set the rear spring length to 160mm with 1.5 turns of rebound and it rides with a lot more confidence now.
That's a brilliant article.........thanks for posting,I can see some fettling on the horizon, plus I need to continue work on reducing rider mass.....106 kg and reducing !!!!
Old 25-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
Wildfire

I’m on 4500 in a year on mine (in all weathers) and until a month ago, it was going great. This is because like you I had an accident, my first for 5 years, when a driver decided that red lights don’t apply and neither did stopping at the scene of an accident. Sadly being in London, I suspect that this may be my last year of the M821 as insurance will be sky high.

Anyhow I digress.

My first comments are around town riding. It is a big and fairly heavy bike, with a poor turning circle. Town is not too bad, but it’s no MT-07 or Street Triple and it can feel clumsy at low speeds, especially being an L-Twin. It’s just how it is.

The next is they tyres. The OEM Rosso II’s are generally awful in anything that is below 15-17 degrees and with any degree of moisture on the road. They feel nervous and skittish. If I’s warm and dry they are ok – good when warm and I have managed knee down at slow to fast speeds, on both sides, easily. Add in a bit of moisture and they are a different tyre. Once the weather drops I will be going for some Metzler’s.

Post-accident, I have the same feeling. It’s just mental. I am finding increasing excuses not to ride the bike. At first it thought it was just getting back on the road, but on the MV I was fine. Time back in the saddle is the only real way forward. I forced myself to ride to work this morning, in the wet, to try and get some confidence back.
Old 25-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
MarkF

Yep, I always felt the front was about to wash out on mine, I think it may be the tyres, dual compound, never used a tyres like that before.

I solved it by test riding a 1200R
Old 25-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
MarkF

Oh and Wildfire glad to hear you got the bike back out and on the road.
Old 25-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Yep, I always felt the front was about to wash out on mine, I think it may be the tyres, dual compound, never used a tyres like that before.

I solved it by test riding a 1200R
The tyres on a1200r suffer with the same symptoms mentioned earlier in the thread.
However , its a cracking bike. I've had mine since April and covered nearly 4k. Love it!
Old 27-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #12
jerry
Old Git

i dont rate standard pirellis Rosso 2s had them on my S4 and GSXR 600 good in the hot weather not good in cold or wet ,, bridgestone BT016 made hude difference
Old 27-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #13
Fuzzy

I love mine 25,000 miles on it this last year. Cracking bikes... I don't like the Rosso 2 that comes fitted as standard but rediculously the Rosso Corsas improved feel massively. Best compound I had was a Bridgestone Battlax s20evo... destroyed the set in 1000 miles but my god they stuck like they were superglued to the road even in the wet.

For me it's the stock suspension that lets the 821 down... I've also come from a street triple R and a host of other sport bikes and the monster feels horribly undersprung in general and under dampened on the front. I ran a 180/55/17 rear for 7000 miles instead of the 60 profile and had no issues... it confused the traction control and rear ABS but didn't bother me enough to do anything about it
Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #14
Moco1961

Fuzzy.....that's some miles in a year, are you mostly in sport mode? You mention the suspension, have you made any alterations in that department ?.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #15
Fuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Fuzzy.....that's some miles in a year, are you mostly in sport mode? You mention the suspension, have you made any alterations in that department ?.
Sport mode is good fun but most of my riding is done in touring and in icy conditions I turn it down to full retard (urban)... she's being ridden all year round rain shine or snow 👍🏻

I'm looking at fitting a cartridge kit possibly andreani because they seem to be highly regarded and the price is reasonable and potentially a wilbers adjustable shock in time for next season when she's not being used every day.

FYI the monster 1200S forks should be a straight swap. I've checked part numbers for all the spacers, triple clamps etc. Would appear to be a straight swap... costs of the forks are a joke though would rather get the cartridge fitted.

Paint on the rear sets has worn through to bare metal which has been sealed off from the elements and boot guards have been fitted to prevent further damage.

Have fitted an exan slip on as the paint on the standard has flaked off (not impressed) but then it's probably done 7 years worth of mileage in 11 months. And it's been off the road for 3 of them with a heavy crash on my winter hack (Kawasaki Z300) only other mod I'm considering is doing away with the exhaust valve and a new map because I've had the exhaust valve replaced twice now under warranty as it's seized and burned the motor and sensor out (Common fault).