UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New Ducatista - Scotland!

Old 23-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
Richizzle

New Ducatista - Scotland!

Hi Guys and Gals!

Just wanted to pop in and say a big hello to you all! Looks like an active community on here which is great!

Moved onto my first Ducati on Saturday, picked up this little 695 with only 3600 miles on her, 1 owner and she looks like she's sat in a garage for her whole life! You'd be forgiven for thinking its brand new (bar the retro headlight that I love)

Had a long ride from Newcastle to Edinburgh on Saturday, in torrential rain, to get her home.

Had never ridden a motorcycle until August last year, and had a beautiful Hornet since then until I gave my best mate a shot - and he binned it at speed into a corner in some Scottish twisty back roads. He learned a lesson with a few broken bones and a punctured lung, and there came the need for me to upgrade!

Love it so far, mirrors can be a bit shakey though is that normal or does swapping for aftermarket ones rectify it? Also ordered some short levers because the factory ones are not to my taste one bit.

Anyway, thanks for reading; here she is:

Grant

[IMG][/IMG]

and my hornet precrash

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 23-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Moco1961

Hi grant, welcome aboard.......just a long shot here..... Black would be your favourite?.
Old 23-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Richizzle

Hi Moco,

Can't go wrong with black! I love whack colours, but happened across these two

That said, I almost ended up with a black 749 instead of the monster...
Old 23-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Welcome aboard! I got back into biking with a black Hornet (S). Great bike but not the soul of a V twin. Got an SV650 next before I was able to realise my dreams. (A red one BTW!)
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Nice bike, blurred mirrors are part of the Ducati character If you haven't done so already take a look at the Ducati Up North forum, lots of socials and meets. There is a visit to Ducati Glasgow on Sunday for the grand opening.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Richizzle

They aren't bad bikes at all Maggsy eh!

Thanks for the info Alan, will get myself on there too!

Loving her so far, though the honda kept pushing into high speeds where the monster simply doesn't want to go in a hurry (although really not a bad thing!)

Does anybody know what the optimal running temperature would be? I've read the 695 can run a bit higher than ideal so would be nice to keep an eye on!

Cheers!
Old 25-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
Cobra88

That's a really tidy 695
Old 25-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
Ursa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richizzle View Post
Does anybody know what the optimal running temperature would be? I've read the 695 can run a bit higher than ideal so would be nice to keep an eye on!

Cheers!
Welcome! Ex-pat 695 owning Scots bird here.

They can run up to 153° and higher in heavy traffic and handle hot weather quite happily. It's a bit like going for a ride on a George Foreman grill but handles it better than more recent models. Make sure you have a nice mesh jacket if you're riding in those conditions.
Old 25-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post

They can run up to 153° and higher in heavy traffic and handle hot weather quite happily. It's a bit like going for a ride on a George Foreman grill but handles it better than more recent models. Make sure you have a nice mesh jacket if you're riding in those conditions.
Yea, but does it cook a good steak?

IMO the 695 will feel under powered and slow compared to an FZ, if you want that kind of performance you need a 900 or bigger or a 4V. Still plenty of fun to be had with the small Ducati V twin character and great handling though.

Looks like a really tidy bike, very clean.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Richizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post

Thanks, will keep an eye on it (more out of my own curiosity!)

She really does handle like a dream, the confidence getting lean on is unreal compared to the hornet. Always wary in corners after seeing my mate almost end himself though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Yea, but does it cook a good steak?

IMO the 695 will feel under powered and slow compared to an FZ, if you want that kind of performance you need a 900 or bigger or a 4V. Still plenty of fun to be had with the small Ducati V twin character and great handling though.

Looks like a really tidy bike, very clean.
Thanks Darren! It's more than enough power to enjoy, and learn on. I'd rather get the most out of the performance that's there than be on a bike that's too much to handle so its maybe not a bad thing! Especially as only been riding for less than a year!

Maybe in a couple years I'll upgrade to something more powerful!
Old 25-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yea, the weight distribution is much better on the Duc, Jap 4's always feel top heavy leaning over, especially the big ones and old Triumph triples are the same. The beauty of the Duc is you could always just drop a bigger motor in it or fit a bigger bore kit, cheaper than a new bike, most later air cooled engines will fit straight in the 695 frame, LC 4V ones too with some minor frame mods.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote