UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Dynaplug roadside puncture repair kit.

Old 24-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Dynaplug roadside puncture repair kit.

I've just taken delivery of a Dynaplug, ultralite puncture plug kit.
First impressions are, I'm very impressed indeed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1723548695...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The whole kit packs up to basically a screwdriver handle, 25mm dia and 100mm long .. its absolutely tiny.
The gubbins are stored inside the handle, but there's not even very much of that .. the whole thing is super-easy to carry on the bike.

The system is very interesting.
The plugs themselves are narrower than conventional "strings" and go in as a single strand, not folded double.
Each plug has a pointed, brass tip which guides its path through the puncture hole, via an insertion tube which is fitted to the handle.
No glue is used (though the inserts themselves are slightly sticky) .. so you don't need to carry that, or find that its dried up when you come to use it.
No reamer is required for the hole (so again, you don't have to carry that) .. the plug goes in the existing hole caused by the offending nail etc.
This also (and quite importantly perhaps) means that no further damage is done to the reinforcing cords in the tyre when reaming out the hole, as would be the case with pretty much all other repair systems.
Its super quick to do.
This obviously has its own benefits but it also allows any residual air still in the tyre to be retained (mostly), meaning that you don't need to carry so many CO2 cartridges.
The tiny, un-reamed hole gives maximum opportunity for doing a more effective permanent repair at a later stage (and the brass tip is probably handy for pulling out the old repair plug too).
And there is an American standards agency (can't remember the details) who rate this repair as a permanent, reliable fix, not just a temporary, get you home measure (though you probably wouldn't trust that, but still it does suggest excellent performance).
You would need to carry a small pair of pliers to remove the "nail" and some CO2 cartridges in addition to the basic kit, but you'd need those in any case.

Obviously, I haven't tried it out yet, but first impressions are very good indeed.
Compact, lightweight, effective, simple and quick.
That seems to be every box ticked.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
Martin Duke

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Very neat!

That looks to be really good - and compact enough to carry anywhere. I think I'll get a couple!

Thanks for pointing it out. Martin
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Looks rather cool, quick and easy to use. Added to my shopping list
Old 25-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
RossObey01

Something I've never carried, might get one to stick under the seat for a trip to Wales next weekend.
Old 25-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You can get a small pump with gas cartridges from Halfords, you will probably need more gas than needed for a push bike tyre.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
One possible advantage with this system is that, if you spot a nail in the tyre before it has gone completely flat, you can repair it without losing the remaining air that's still in there.
This is largely because the hole does not need to be reamed out to a larger size to accept the repair plug.
Instead, with the insertion tool ready and loaded with a plug, the nail can be removed with pliers and the plug inserted straight away before any significant amount of air has escaped.
With their more expensive kits, they even include a little tapered needle which you can use as an air stopper between removing the nail and fitting the plug .. but I didn't bother with that.
This will hopefully mean that fewer gas cartridges need to be carried .. I'm packing two of them at the moment, instead of my original three.
I did wonder about a micro-compressor but I decided that was overkill really, and although I haven't particularly researched this I imagine that they would still be bulky enough to make carrying one on the bike problematic.
All you really need is enough air to get you to the nearest garage in limp mode.

My underseat storage compartment now contains ..
The std Ducati tool kit .. extended with a full set of allen keys with extension tube for leverage, a couple of small spanners, some cable ties and four vinyl gloves.
A tiny (and refillable) 100ml can of S-Doc chain lube (just fits if you trim the cap slightly).
The puncture repair tool.
Another pouch containing small pliers for nail removal, two gas cartridges with delivery adaptor and a tiny knife for trimming the repair plugs.
That lot all fits (just) and doesn't weigh all that much .. in fact it still weighs less than my Corbin seat used to, without any tool storage at all.

Btw, if anyone has a spare Ducati tool pouch, I'm after one.

Actually, now that I think of it, I do have a strange little device which I bought in the 70s, which screws into a spark plug hole and then pumps a tyre using cylinder pressure, via a diaphragm arrangement.
Its tiny .. but then you would also need a long hose to reach the wheel.
Overkill.
The beauty of the Dynaplug system is that it reduces the need for this aspect of the repair .. by retaining most of the air that's still left in there.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote